Report – Ubisoft’s DRM software hacked

Friday, 23rd April 2010 11:42 GMT By Johnny Cullen

ubisoftlogo

According to a report from CNet, Ubisoft’s DRM software for its most recent PC titles has been hacked.

When said hack is downloaded, which is apparently on torrent sites right now, it will remove the DRM – which requires a constant internet connection to play the games – automatically from both retail copies of the game, as well as digital versions of any Ubisoft game that has the software.

A group known as “Skid Row” are claiming responsibility for creating the hack.

“Thank you Ubisoft, this was quiete [sic] a challenge for us,” the group said in a note to the firm in the Read Me file that comes with the download of the hack, “but nothing stops the leading force from doing what we do.”

It reads on: “Next time focus on the game and not on the DRM. It was probably horrible for all legit users. We just make their lifes [sic] easier.”

It’s not the first time the DRM software has been claimed to have been cracked, however. It was thought back in early March that a pirate version of Silent Hunter V was available to play without the security software. Ubi told us soon after it was rubbish, and that no-one had gotten through.

And only last week, Splinter Cell: Conviction’s creative director Maxime Béland told VG247 that the DRM software is “vital” to Ubisoft’s business.

We’ll ship off an email right now.

1. CroMagnon

While consoles are great, the PC is ultimately the only archive for video game history. Even though I upgrade/buy a new PC every few years, I can still play 80s and 90s games on my rig – thanks to various emulators and cracks.

What if in 2030 I want to dust off my copy of, say, SC: Conviction or Assassin’s Creed II? There’s no way my Xbox will still be around, so the only option will be to play it on some from of PC. Issues of piracy aside (though they are obviously relevant), without crackers doing their work, we will lose vital parts of video game history.

2. Dralen

I said this was gonna happen and it did. And to be fair the piraters are right, they should just focus on the game and not the DRM, because it’s gonna get hacked eventually anyway.

3. Robo_1

“…but nothing stops the leading force from doing what we do.”

What’s that lads, ensuring an end to PC game development?

Don’t get me wrong, it was shitty DRM, but publishers like Ubisoft aren’t spending a fortune on developing this stuff for nothing.

Also, why are people who are generally smart enough to hack these things, mostly illiterate?

4. scuz

I hope that someday piracy won’t be what PC gaming is known for.

Everyone’s pinched a game at some point, i know i’ve downloaded a game for sheer impatience for the release date.Game gets leaked on a monday but my steam copy doesn’t unlock until friday? ofcourse i want a sneak peek.

Publishers also need to stop thinking of every download as a loss, it’s not that simple.

5. sh33py666

@3: I think a lot of these hacker groups are not native English speakers/writers =p

6. Robo_1

That could explain it aye. :)

7. Gheritt White

@4: I haven’t nicked a game since before even LimeWire was invented, let alone BitTorrent. In fact, the last game I pirated was on a floppy disk (and I had to photocopy the manual too, it was one of those “what’s the third word on line 20 of page six” affairs).

The best, most fun copy protection I ever saw was in Life & Death by the Software Toolworks. As a surgeon, you were contacted via your beeper every so often by another doctor at the hospital and need to call them back immediately. The list of the other doctors’ numbers could only be found in the manual. I suppose with the internet, that wouldn’t really work these days.

8. JonFE

IIRC, one of the features of this DRM was that critical game data were not present at the user’s computer and had to be downloaded from Ubi servers when necessary in real time, creating the need for constant internet connection.

Was all that just smoke and mirrors from Ubisoft?

9. mojo

the one from indiana jones and the fate of atlantis also was nice.

10. Erthazus

LOL, thats long ago. What a news…

11. Benjo1981

@CroMagnon

The Xbox you say isn’t going to be around in 2030 IS ALSO a part of videogame history. So why not keep the console, as a historical artifact, and play the games on that, when you so desire? To say that hackers are maintaining vital parts of videogame history is utterly absurd.

12. blackdreamhunk

this like old news man vg247

13. Benjo1981

@Dralen

Ubi should focus as much effort as is required to protect THEIR property. When all else is accounted for, pirates are stealing. The underlying principe behind the idea of pirating is fatally flawed and if allowed to run rampant would destroy the industry.

14. Benjo1981

@Scuz

Why is it not that simple? Downloading an illegal copy of a game (assuming you don’t then go onto buy it)is lost revenue for a publisher. It’s a fairly simple system: game is made for a certain cost, then game is sold to recoup costs and ideally make a profit to fund next game…and so on. These games are made in good faith, for our consumption, so why pirates feel they have some ‘right’ to steal them is beyond me. It’s indefensible.

15. blackdreamhunk

I just want to say that them hackers can hack your consoles too. All your doing is building up a lot hate from pc gamers.
    yea there is already emulators for ps3 and xbox360. must pc gamers pay for their games fact.

the gaming Industry lies about their piracy numbers

this whole thing is to force pc gamers into buying consoles junk.

just like th gaming Industry will say pc gaming is dying every year to scare or force pc gamers into buying consoles

yea another thing must of gaming industry is a dictatorship. They try their bewst to force console dogmas on you.

16. Benjo1981

@BDH

Sadly, your prejudice causes my struggle to take you seriously.

17. Mauller

I admit that I pirate PC games from time to time, if I don’t enjoy the game, I never finish it and I delete it, if I liked the game I buy it. I suppose that I could always just download demos, but they rarely give the best impression of a game.

I spend probably close to $2000 a year on games between my PC and my consoles. I think that I contribute my fair share. Though I do know people that will almost always refuse to unclench their fist and buy the games.

18. blackdreamhunk

Oh one more thing them consoles have piracy too that means the ps3 too!I am going to say it agin the nintendo has a lot bigger pircay problem than pc gaming does oh wait the gaming industry does not like pc gamers or pc gaming.

19. Erthazus

@15 shut the fuck up. There is no PS3 emulator YET and probably will not be. No one pirated hypervisor and without it you will never ever will create an emulator. Go apeshit as much as you want with your fucking dictatorship and other shit. I’m enjoying great games, you don’t. Thats a fact.

Not to mention there even no Xbox 1 emulator. Except Halo emulator…

you must understand that every generation hardware becomes more difficult and pirates don’t have resources to make emulators for difficult consoles.
    Why there is a Wii emulator? Because it’s a GameCube hardware basically.

You won’t see even Xbox 360 emulator in the near future. Maybe when generation will end and 5 years later.

Look here idiot at most pirated games in 2009.

20. blackdreamhunk

@Erthazus

yea that is right you want to shut me because you know it’s the truth. just like said must of gaming lies a lot. I am not going to shut, maybe you should shut up. people like you are the same people who force their ideas and opinions people.

your a dictator kind like hilter……..! you talk junk with little no facts!

21. Erthazus

@20 because you are fucking stupid thats why you need to shut up. When you will know what is PS3 hypervisor then we cant talk a little bit, but for now, just shut up and enjoy PC games or whatsoever. Everyone is sick of your tremendous bullshit.

People who created consoles want to make just money and thats it. If you don’t agree, it’s your fucking problem. If you like great games buy a console, or PC or other platform and shut up.

22. dirigiblebill

“Why is it not that simple? Downloading an illegal copy of a game (assuming you don’t then go onto buy it)is lost revenue for a publisher.”

Which is a big assumption to make. I watch/listen to a lot of music videos on Youtube, but that certainly doesn’t mean I’d buy the lot if I had no other option.

23. Benjo1981

@BDH

Just because we want you to STFU doesn’t mean you speak anything related to truth. Maybe we just want you to STFU.

24. blackdreamhunk

@Erthazus

we are down to insluts now nice I am glade the whole world can see this. I am glade alot pc gamers can this. keep pissing us off and you see what will happen…….I think you people need to shut up!

25. blackdreamhunk

bring it you want start garbage me with bring it. I have facts backing me up. what do you people have just hot air……..!!!! that is what your kind is made of hot air and frankly you people bark too much.

I have more than once proven the must of the gaming is a dictatorship that lies a lot.

26. Benjo1981

Music videos, correct me if I’m wrong, are promotional material?

27. Benjo1981

@BDH

In all seriousness, what do you hope to achieve by posting here? Are you trying to convert console gamers to the PC?

28. blackdreamhunk

@Benjo1981

the more people know the truth the more people will be critical thinkers. You might be surprised to know what people can do when they know the facts. I am making it known to every one.

do you honestlly think pc gamers are going take garbage from the gaming media and industry ……your joking right!

do you honestly think that drm is even far bring me so more lies so we laugh at you.

29. Benjo1981

Fair enough, as succinctly as possible, tell me what the truth is..

30. blackdreamhunk

@Benjo1981

I am going be real nice here see them link take a good look at them. I don’t place them their just for looks. like said I don’t bark and speak a lot of hot air………! oh wait you must not be smart to figure that out!

you people are so brainless it’s like talking to a little 5 year old kid!

31. dirigiblebill

Stuff like this isn’t – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EZqbzsjH68

At the end of the day, there’s still no strict statistical correlation between piracy and sales. You’d have to be foolish to deny that the former wasn’t eating into the latter to some degree, but you’d have to be equally foolish (or, more likely, a publisher feeding an easy line to investors) to assume that *every* pirate download equals a lost sale.

Anyhoo, this is a well-beaten track we’re walking down here.

32. blackdreamhunk

you know I think people that don’t have any facts should just shut up. frankly the day you try take away someone freedom to speak, you shouldn’t voice your opinion either! Sorry man kind was never found on one man’s opinion.

half of you don’t even have facts to back your hot air you spew.

33. blackdreamhunk

the gaming industry lies too much they don’t have much of a creditability!

34. Benjo1981

So let me get this clear. You’re claiming:

1. Piracy isn’t a problem/isn’t as big a problem as reported.
    2. PC Gaming isn’t dying, as reported.

Does that about sum it up?

35. blackdreamhunk

pc gaming was dying since what is now 1985…….what a joke.

here even a blog is alot more creadable than must of the gaming Industry media

does pc gaming look dead to to you?

yea here is you gaming media creadiblity I can find a lot more like it

36. Benjo1981

I agree. Not every illegal download will amount to a lost sale. But why is any illegal download justified?

By it’s on lights, it’s an illegal practise, so it’s not justified in the eyes of the law. Where else is justification to be found? Moral justification?

37. blackdreamhunk

read my lips very well the gaming industry is a joke for creditability!

sorry the gaming Industry can’t be trusted to give unbias information on pc gaming. Not when pc gamers are getting band for defending their platform, not when reviewers are losing their jobs over game reviews.

38. Benjo1981

Ok, so you tend to lean more towards the PC gaming not dead thread.

Can I ask, did you create the YouTube video?

39. blackdreamhunk

Benjo1981

you know what if you don’t want to take the time and look at proof. your wasting my time and you know what I am going to call you a troller right you full of hot air.

I gave you enough proof!

40. dirigiblebill

@ 36

I never said it was :) I’m pretty firmly anti-piracy. But we need to think about the issue on its own terms. It’s not ‘stealing’ in the conventional sense.

41. DeSpiritusBellum

I do think the reports of PC gamings demise is pretty exagerated, and certainly the industry has been crying wolf for so long, it’s cause for a bit of skepticism when they go out and say “It’s really true, now!”. There’s still a market there, generating some profit. It’s mostly the poorly made games that really get slaughtered. And that’s hardly due to piracy.

That being said, while you can always relish in a bit of schadenfreude, I still don’t think cracking or hacking is the right way to educate Ubisoft. The best thing would be if people just didn’t buy their games.

I mean instead of rejecting Ubisoft, you’re really just validating both piracy and the need for DRM, and that isn’t going to lead to more or better games.

It’s pretty ironic how we PC gamers (I plead hypocrisy on this one) tend to bitch about ports and x-platform compromise, when the people on our platform are the ones making them a virtual neccesity.

42. blackdreamhunk

here are some facts must sites don’t talk about pc gaming don’t talk about

43. Benjo1981

@39.

I’m not disagreeing with you. I don’t think PC gaming is dead. The market for PC games has disipated for various reasons, but the PC platform will always be around, if merely for theoretical purposes.

However, a YouTube video (possibly made by yourself), a blog (written by someone who I have no reason to believe) and your vehement claims just do not constitute reliable evidence.

I’m sure, as a reasonable man, you can appreciate this?

44. blackdreamhunk

you know what were are all the reports of console piracy these days. what are hardware companies like microsft and sony scare to report them numbers because more game devs are going bankrupt over console than they are on pc.

yes there is piracy on console too, I don’t trust the gaming industry media accurate numbers on console piracy by the way

sorry pc gaming piracy does not reach into the billions unlike the Nintendo consoles

45. Benjo1981

I’m new to your posts BDH. Are you also claiming that consoles are (one of) the primary reason for the apparent disipation of the PC market?

46. Boris Fett

Just ignore him Benjo. He’s a troll, does this all the time since I joined up. Posts crap that proves nothing then goes on about pwning everyone.

47. blackdreamhunk

@Benjo1981

over 11 000 console game devs have gone bankuprt over them consoles. frankly them consoles have the used game market,pircay,rented games and high production costs killing them.

you want to know why there are no new consoles this link tells you why

48. blackdreamhunk

@Boris Fett

yea that is right don’t garbage you can’t back your slef of with………..a lot of lairs in the world these talking all sorts of garbage!

if the gaming industry is so creatable wh don’t they talk about all the other games pc gaming has to offer.

I mean a blogger can do it so how media stream can’t oh wit they would rather write untruthful subjects

like pc gaming dying every god dam year!

the gaming is nothing more than dictatorship

they walk right up in your face and they tell you what they want you to know

49. Benjo1981

Do you have a source for your console dev bankruptcy claim?

As for the new console cycle not starting at the traditional time: I think there are numerous reaons, chief among them being the global recession. Consumers generally can’t afford high-end luxuries right now. Why would a console manufacturer want to release a new tech product into a market that isn’t prepared for it?

Also, given global releases, the state of the UK political environment (i.e the forthcoming election) means that any economic recovery is slowed until security is restored by the arrival of a new government. Assuming that the UK is an important market for all three console makers, they, again, would be silly to release a new console this year.

50. Boris Fett

He doesn’t have source for anything Benjo, trust us. Just ignore him. He doesn’t actually care that you’re right.

51. blackdreamhunk

@Benjo198

I have posted them more than once, go count how many game devs have gone bankrupt.

lets look at playlogic for exmaple since they went console hey have been at aloss

52. Benjo1981

Look, BDH, I can see that you’re a passionate gamer, and an even more passionate PC supporter. That’s admirable.

But at the very core of the industry which produces the games that you love is the idea of making money. If the publishers can’t make money, then the developers can’t make money (assuming a commercial release of a game). If the console is where the money is being made, then they NEED to go there. The PC will still exist, but what is maddening is this idea of piracy (however big a problem it is or isn’t): piracy is always going to have a bigger effect on the PC market because it is so much smaller than the console market. If someone pirates an Xbox game, MS can absorb it; so can Sony and Nintendo. A PC publisher/developer can’t do that. Piracy hurts the PC market more profoundly because of its size.

As @41 said, it’s ironic that the PC pirates are the ones biting the hand that feeds them.

53. blackdreamhunk

here is the last reviewer who fired because of their opinion on a game review

you go try and tell me that the gaming inductry is not a dictatorship. I can name a lot of them gaming media are a dictatorship.

54. blackdreamhunk

@Benjo1981

how about this your wasting my timeand you my friend is full of hot air. Unless you have facts i think you shopuld be the one that should shut up.

I have proven my self more than once…….fact! my words are solid!

55. Benjo1981

BDH: One final thing, and I say this without wishing to offend: can I suggest, in future, you dial down the vehemence with which you put forth your views. Most of us on here are intelligent individuals who don’t need to be spoken down to.

And if someone doesn’t agree with you, so what? You still get to enjoy the games you like, as do we.

56. Benjo1981

@BDH: Fair enough, I tried.

57. Boris Fett

@56 So have all of us. He. Doesn’t. Care. People refuse to ignore him though, so he just keeps getting more fuel to run with…

58. blackdreamhunk

frankly the gaming industry is not fair and a lot of them are not honest. they are a dictatorship. they trash their fan base and they tell them all sorts of lies.they do everything in their power to screw over their fan base dome of them.

then they band gamers that don’t agree with them. microsft and sony goes around trying to tell you how high you should jump.

59. Benjo1981

Yeh, I haven’t taken much notice up to now..and won’t be from now on. He might have a point, but he needs to learn how to express it in such a way as to not alienate the people he’s talking to.

60. blackdreamhunk

@Benjo1981

here I have a nice link little about you. this what I think about you my friend.

i love these links it sums up what I think about people like you

61. dirigiblebill

Ironoman approves of you, BDH.

62. Benjo1981

Gotta love Youtube.

@BDH: What do you do with your time? Work? Study? I’m interested.

63. blackdreamhunk

@Benjo1981

when i am not working, I like to debate with real people that can handle facts and truth…..not wasting my time with people like you.

if you must know my hobbies they are as follows reading,working out,pc gaming,hot beautiful women, god and prophesy,dancing, basically enjoying life and how about you?

basically I am always growing and learning knowledge and wisdom is true power.

oh yea by the way your talking to one of those pc gaming “elites” that people always talk about.

64. pleasant_cabbage

Hot beautiful women eh?
    Kidnap-stew doesn’t count.

65. Erthazus

Bdh is on the fire. He is the best troll in history.

66. Benjo1981

That’s good to hear. Most of my time is currently taken up with study (Masters degree) so I can appreciate your desire for knowledge. Whether it is desired for power, or for its intrinsic quality…well, that’s a personal choice.

Please, I don’t need to see any more videos in order to appreciate your point of view. I understand. It’s good that the PC has such staunch support. I’m personally not motivated by your claims. That isn’t to assume any truth value, I just don’t care about the PC anymore.

It’s a great platform, but it’s not for me.

67. blackdreamhunk

@pleasant_cabbage

please, there is too me beautiful women out there to be stuck one just “one girl”. life is way too short to worry about kidnapping girls…… lol

the rules are girls chase me I don’t do the chasing that is what pre-teens do.

68. blackdreamhunk

@Benjo1981

wow you must live in a very small world. Not everything in this world is about you. I do things for a reason. when I leave links it’s to support what it is I am saying.

any way this way off topic the fact is the gaming industry has little creditability and ubisoft’s drm is junk.

they don’t seem to like their fans base.

69. Benjo1981

Fair enough.

70. pleasant_cabbage

:D

71. Aimless

“I like to debate with realty people that can handle facts and truth…”

So that’s how BDH gets all those sweet deals on satin lairs…

72. Benjo1981

Don’t stoke the beast lol. He’ll be back..

73. blackdreamhunk

I am not a beast, I am person. I am a pc gamer also. Console fanboys,gaming media, game devs meet “real hardcore pc gamers”.

the legend is very much true, pc gamers are smart people not a beasts or a beast.

74. Benjo1981

…aaand he’s back. Right on cue. He’s like a performing monkey.

75. blackdreamhunk

@Benjo1981

oh my god,there is a lot more people like me out there!We are in the millions.

76. Gheritt White

Welcome to VG247, Benjo! There’s not many peculiar people here, but there are a few. As a general rule of thumb, if you see somebody’s handle reduced to a three-letter acronym when referenced, it means they’re a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

@ BDH: That last YouTube link of yours was for Smallville. Um… ???

77. Benjo1981

Thanks Gheritt, I’ll keep that in mind! Got one on my ‘ignore’ list already..

78. blackdreamhunk

@Benjo1981

or maybe I have another stalker……I have a lot of them these days.

kind like this link here this is how some people work.

79. Benjo1981

@Gheritt

Yeh, it was. I’m not entirely sure what point he was trying to make with a Smallville video. Maybe that he’s got a crush on superman?

80. blackdreamhunk

@Benjo1981

wow that is because you are not as lighten as I am or a lot of people. I bet a lot of smart people can figure out why I did it. I am sure almost all pc gamers under stood what i did there……man talk about noobs these days.

I thought you were done with me……oh your back agin lol. what a joke some people are so predictable it’s not even funny. lol

I pretty sure this one is another stalker.

81. Filofax

Oh god they set BDH off again, he’ll be pulling his pecker while posting shite links all day now.

82. DeSpiritusBellum

How is it that handbag spams are bad but bdh is okay?

83. blackdreamhunk

@DeSpiritusBellum

I support my links to the subject at hand! I support my links show people what it is I am saying.

I have facts not spam! call it a much higher advanced way of speaking to people.So people can under stand I am not full of hot air and no one can call in a lair!

proof to back up your statements, there is the old saying seeing is believing.

I would you believe me if gave you my opinions or claims?

If people make big claims people want proof! I am not right!

for some people they don’t get you when you tell them something sometimes you have to people stuff before they believe you.

If I am wrong people can say your sources are wrong. They can’t call me lair.

my words are for a group of people not just one person.

84. DaMan

if they ban bdh, they might as well do that to those Halo haters and the such. the guy is either crazy or a kid, just ignore him.

85. blackdreamhunk

@DaMan

agin that is your opinion but I glade you get my point.
    I am the type of person I always have to have proof the the time because I talk about hot subjects…… like the drm garbage.

I just prove in this thread that the gaming industry lies.

yea I have seem a lot pc gamers band just for defending your platform.

sorry my opinion sometimes don’t agree with masses. I like truth because I like truth there is a lot of people that can’t handle truth.

that is why I post links like this to prove a point

sometimes words are just not enough to express your self to people.

I am not going to tell you what you want to hear I am going to tell you the truth. If you don’t like what I have to say. I think people should not read it or move from the subject. Better yet don’t start subjects you can’t handle.

86. Benjo1981

@BDH

Do you not use grammer and conventional spelling for a reason? Or are are you just not able?

87. blackdreamhunk

@Benjo1981

i had thought you wore done with me, maybe if your real smart you can answer your own question?

88. Benjo1981

I could venture a guess, certainly. But you’re so fond of fact and truth, I thought you’d prefer to answer..

89. DaMan

could you please validate the following statement, bdh:

“there is already emulators for ps3 and xbox360.” ?

90. blackdreamhunk

@Benjo1981

have you answered any of my questions when I asked them at the beginning of this thread. I am up up for answers when people can give them to me.

go back to the start of this thread and answer my questions. maybe then I will give you the time and the day.

91. blackdreamhunk

2DaMan

what can’t you under stand about that there is emulators. Do you know what a emulator is?

or should i have to get a youtube video to show you what an emulators are ?

92. Benjo1981

Just so I’m clear: you’re saying you won’t talk to me unless I answer your questions? You promise?

93. Benjo1981

I think, BDH, that the subject of DaMan’s question regarded the existence of emulators for the 360 and PS3. I think the question presupposes that DaMan understands the concept of an emulator.

So I ask again, do you have verifiable proof that emulators exist for the Xbox360 and PS3?

94. blackdreamhunk

dude when do you want to start, I have taken my time out for people when they really want to debate and bring facts to the table. you are no different, when people can’t answer my questions I get annoyed.

for example me and Gekidami a good debate over crytek pc game sales the other day. I respect Gekidami alot more for it. I respect him a lot more than you right now and other people here at this site.

95. DaMan

you’ve stated that there exist 360 and PS3 emulators, running on PC. so I ask again, can you validate that?

96. Gheritt White

BDH – post a link to PS3 and X360 emulators or GTFO.

97. blackdreamhunk

@Benjo1981

how about you google the subject about ps3nintedowii and xbox 360 emulators. I can tell you i seen such emulators in action. mI have my reasons. oh by the way youtube has the wii emulators!

how about you answering my question I posted earlyer why does the gaming media talk about the number of pc games out there

98. Benjo1981

Yes, for once BDH, cut the rhetoric and actually show us some cold, hard facts..here’s your chance..show us the way..

99. blackdreamhunk

ok fine

by the way I have time to look at these because I just got of hand!there is many subjects about found it all over net.

but you get my point

now how about you answer my first question

here is my second question does pc gaming look dead to you!

100. blackdreamhunk

I am waiting or I am wasting my time agin with another person?

101. Benjo1981

@BDH

If you look back to @43 you will find I already answered your second question.

To reiterate: no, I don’t think PC gaming is dead, merely that the PC gaming market has disipated.

102. DaMan

your first youtube link is about a GCN/Wii one. and did you even watch the second video?

hence, bdh you’re :
    1) a liar or a moron
    2) a troll or a nutter

thanks for proving my point.

103. blackdreamhunk

first off you did not answer my first question. if the gaming industry is so creatable? why does the gaming industry media not talk about all the pc games titles or give people facts on people gaming titles. by the way I gave you a list of games from a blog that is a lot more creatable than a lot of gaming websites

you did not answer my first question

so you would say that the gaming industry is creatable? If they are saying pc gaming is dying since 1985?

this found by this you tube link here

can i ask did you even look at it?

104. Gekidami

3) all of the above.

The answer is 3.

105. Gheritt White

The X360 vid is *fake* – I’ve gone through a few of those vids just now, and they’re ALL fake. Either post a link to genuine BT d/l or GTFO – YouTube carries about as as much value as PhotoShop.

106. Benjo1981

@BDH

What do you mean by ‘creatable’? Creditable?

107. blackdreamhunk

@Gheritt White

maybe fake like siad I got it random. It takes time to get get the right stuff. By the way this why like to use links for proof.I have seen a emulators for ps3 in person. So finding proof would take time. Time I don’t want to spend on this debate. the facts is with that video there are claims there are emulators and that is fact.

108. blackdreamhunk

@Benjo1981

yes Creditable? stop beating aroun the bush

see this ist here why does gaming media not talk about all these games for pc

would you not say if the gaming media is making bold claims that pc gaming is dying every. You think that the gaming media is even creatable ?

109. Gheritt White

BULLSHIT. No proof = no facts = no debate.

Fuck Off.*

[*meant in the nicest possible way]

110. Benjo1981

Ok, even if I take what you say on face-value, you still have problems.

So, you claim that the gaming industry is not creditable because they claim that PC gaming is dying? Correct?

If this claim was first made in 1985, and you take the size of the PC gaming market to be a good test of its vitality, then yes, PC gaming has been ‘dying’ since 1985 because the size of the market has been shrinking year-on-year.

Fair enough, ‘dying’ is an ambiguous term to describe the decline, but it captures (rather inaccurately) the process nonetheless.

111. blackdreamhunk

see this link here

what are they talking about?

112. dirigiblebill

BDH.

Post 10 indisputable examples of a games reviewer being fired for giving an unfavourable score in the past 5 years. Then show us where it proves that PlayLogic’s losses in first half 2009 are *entirely* a question of the console industry’s collapse, and nothing at all to do with weak brands and license costs. Also, post 10 instances of computer game websites with a circulation of one million uniques or more per month that consistently call out PC gaming as ‘dead’.

113. Benjo1981

Ok, so you present what you call ‘proof’, but then admit that it’s more than likely fake. Additionally, you say you don’t want to spend the time finding valid ‘proof’.

How the hell do you expect us to take what you say seriously?!!?

114. blackdreamhunk

@Gheritt White

the wii emulator is very much real. like siad know what it is I am talking about because I am a pc gamer.

you may want to wish there is no emulators out there. give a very good reason why I should waste my time. Just to hunt information for you when you don’t look at my give now?

you have yet to even answer of of my basic questions and call my links spam.

115. Benjo1981

They’re talking about the validity of piracy numbers. But, even you must admit that the source needs to be validated and you need more than one source.

You’re at university aren’t you? Or, you claim to be. Haven’t you learnt anything about research methods? Source validation? Grammer?!

116. blackdreamhunk

one person at time

I am talking to Benjo1981 first

he has not answer my questions yet I am waiting!!!

117. loki

lol it is happened few weeks ago
    Ubisoft just idiot spend a lot of money, and all for nothing.
    PC port = fail

118. DaMan

hahaha. classic.

119. blackdreamhunk

ok I have another link for you about the creditability of of the gaming media

i posted this on this same thread but you never look them did you.

give me a secnd and let me repost them for you

120. Benjo1981

Questions? I answered the one about the ‘death’ of PC gaming. To reiterate for you (again): I don’t think it’s dead, but the market has contracted considerably.

Your other question was about what?

121. blackdreamhunk

do you call this creadable

agin this is from my earlyer posted did you at all at them?

do you find this creadable at all?

122. blackdreamhunk

DaMan loki I will come after after I am done with #

Benjo198

123. blackdreamhunk

@Benjo1981

I am waiting for your answer?

124. Benjo1981

Ok, so you have a claim (not verified) that someone may have got fired due to Rockstar…and a piece about online gaming.

What are you claiming now?

125. DaMan

uh huh. do come back when you have proof that PS3/360 emulators actually exist. runnable emulators, I’m particularly interested in the PS3 one.

126. Gekidami

BDH: “The facts through this link do not please me! Therefore they arent credible!”

127. Boris Fett

Just. Ignore. Him.

Christ.

128. blackdreamhunk

2Benjo1981

I ask you a question do you think that as pc gamer i can trust the gaming industry if they have lied to me more than once?

do you think that those links show how creadable the gaming industry is?

129. blackdreamhunk

it’s my turn with the questions.

130. Benjo1981

Are you including PC gaming under the umbrella term ‘gaming industry’? If so, then you appear (correct me if I’m wrong) to be claiming that PC gaming isn’t creditable. Yeh?

If, therefore, PC gaming isn’t creditable, why are such a staunch supporter of it?

131. DaMan

pathetic. you gave a link to a Wii one, and a fake showing a couple of images.

those fake celebrities porn pics are more valid than your video.

132. Gheritt White

@114: Yes BDH, the Wii emulator is real, but that is *not* news and it is NOT what we were talking about.

Where is your PROOF for X360 and PS3 emulators on PC? NOWHERE. You are a LIAR. LIARS go to HELL.

Soon you will be owned by SATIN.

133. blackdreamhunk

@Benjo1981

was not the gaming industry media the one who were claim pc gaming is dying every year?

would say that is fact or a lie. choose one

134. dirigiblebill

“like siad I can only deal with one person at time. I gave links of emulators. fact is they are emulators and they are being made.”

Links which you’ve admitted to be false.

135. Benjo1981

To more directly answer your question: if (and it’s a big ‘if’) any journalist loses his job because of pressure from the industry which he covers, then that is not acceptable. That counts for any industry, not just gaming.

136. blackdreamhunk

I am going to make this thread here real hot!

137. blackdreamhunk

emulators are real great stuff

138. Benjo1981

Ok, you really need to distinguish more clearly between ‘game industry’ and ‘game media’; they are two very different things.

Yes, the media has been known to claim that PC gaming is dying. I don’t have the stats (and I’m almost certain you don’t either) but from anecdotal reports, the PC gaming market has shrunk year-on-year for many years. If you take ‘dying’ to mean ‘shrinking’ (which is, I think, a plausible assumption to make) then they are not far wrong.

139. dirigiblebill

Your link is a holding page, BDH:

“as soon as we have any news about freeware Sony PS3 Emulators we will post it here”

GOLF-CLAP.

140. blackdreamhunk

this just the beginning, now back to Benjo1981

you didn’t answer my question agin.

here is another basic question for

Benjo1981

do you know who patcher is? do you know his latest commets about pc gaming?

141. DaMan

quote: ” At this point there are no downloads available – but as soon as we have any news about freeware Sony PS3 Emulators we will post it here and you will be able to download the psp emu from our website. ”

GTFO.

142. blackdreamhunk

wow every one wants to jump in now. I am talking to Benjo1981

and I waiting for his or her answer

143. Gheritt White

Download Sony PS3 Emu

Where is the PROOF? All I see is LIES. You are with SATIN.

144. DaMan

like I said, come back to me when you have proof.

145. Benjo1981

How did I not answer your question? Can you not see @138?

I presume you are talking about Michael Pachter, the analyst? And no, I don’t think I’ve heard the latest.

146. blackdreamhunk

@Gheritt White s

trust me when i looked that up I was not even trying. I am sure I can alot more.

147. Gekidami

Type it in words he would understand Benjo. As if you were explaining it to a 4 year old.

148. Benjo1981

You really don’t help yourself. Every ‘proof’ you offer us seems to disipate into nothing. You’re even admitting yourself that your sources are fake.

149. blackdreamhunk

let me repeat my self agin

do you know who patcher is? do you know his latest commets about pc gaming?

150. Benjo1981

The subject of that forum thread seems to be that no PS3 emulator will be available for 10-20 years. Explain?

151. blackdreamhunk

if you can’t answer my question I am going to show a gaming industry that lies. I am going to show you lies after lies

it’s big pattern that seems to repeat it self agin and agin.

152. Benjo1981

@BDH

Please see @145. You will find your answer there, clear as day, for all to see. Seriously, are you not seeing all my posts?

153. Benjo1981

@BDH

Yes, I know who Michael Pachter is, but no, I have not heard his latest comments on PC gaming..

154. Gheritt White

@ 146: No PROOF!!! All the gamers in that thread are saying that there IS NO PS3 EMULATOR.

YOU LIE.

You love SATIN.

Stop LYING.

155. blackdreamhunk

@Benjo1981

do you as pc gamer i should trust the gaming industry when they tell me a lot lies like this

I am never ever patcher…and gametrailers creadiblity is junk!

he sure knows knows his stuff about gaming ….what a joke!

here is some more facts this is from stream

156. Benjo1981

I kinda have to agree with @154: you have yet to provide proof of PS3 emulators.

Care to try again?

157. DaMan

from your link, bdh:

posts from 2008:
    ———————-
    “Is there any Emulator, who can play comercial games of the PS3 on the Computer?? ”

“No… come back in 10-20 years. ”

“The pcsx2 team had discussed about it before and they will not develop it at all until 10-20 years because due to not enough powerful computer so they are focus on ps2 emulator right now so save your search and wait for 10-20 years, ok ?”

“What are you saying? a PS3 emulator? haha that’s funny ”

…etc

the thread was bumped 2 years later:
    ————————–
    ” They have only really been making playable progress on the Saturn, Dreamcast and GC in the last year or so (all 10+ year old systems) and todays PC’s are light years past them in hardware terms. I’m not sure how many times we need to go over how completely pointless and misleading the PC spec Vs Console spec debate is in terms of ‘emulation’ of hardware

So what you should do is provide an email address for all the people who’s hopes you build up to email you on asking endless questions about where the emulator is, how to make it work and why it won’t run games on their PC….that is afterall, all posts like this achieve. Until there’s a working emu with playable games its just enthusiastic rhetoric, to try to pretend anything else is just stupidity. ”

do try harder.

158. blackdreamhunk

here is another one

159. blackdreamhunk

@Benjo1981

so do you call that creatable, I see a repeat after repeat happening.

I see your having a hardtime answering my questions why?

160. Gheritt White

@ 156: Please don’t think for an instant that this is how I usually write online – far from it. But one does have to know ones audience to achieve the greatest impact, wouldn’t you say?

161. Benjo1981

So, Pachter says that PC gaming is “..in decline” and accounts for “..6-7%” of game sales.

How is that different to what I’ve been saying all along: PC gaming isn’t dead, but it is in decline.

Is there any wonder that publishers support consoles more? If PC games account for 7% of the total game sales, that is miniscule compared to the console market.

162. Gheritt White

@ BDH: Stop posting, you LIAR

Where is PS3 or X360 emulator? NOWHERE. All you do is LIE. You have no PROOF, just LIES.

You must love Satin a whole lot!!!!

163. blackdreamhunk

@Benjo1981

your not listening to me, I ask you a basic question are console more powerful than pc’s

you did not give a straight forward answer!

we are dealing with the gaming industry’s creditability here

164. Benjo1981

Totally. I don’t even think he reads what we put.

165. blackdreamhunk

@Benjo1981

you starting annoy me go back and reread my questions!!!!

166. Gheritt White

@ 163: Begone, Satin-lover! Take your evil LIES away from here!!!

167. Benjo1981

Firstly BDH, you have not explicitly stated your question on this forum. If you do so, I’m happy to tell you what I think.

Why?

168. Benjo1981

I haven’t given straightforward answers? I don’t know how to simplify my answers further without losing all meaning.

169. dirigiblebill

“I don’t know how to simplify my answers further without losing all meaning.”

Well, that might actually help. Fight fire with fire, sort of thing.

170. blackdreamhunk

did I ask you about patcher talking pc “retail decline”. I am talking are consoles more powerful than a pc?

do you really want to to go back and start listings all my question and then your answers you gave me?

171. blackdreamhunk

more on eumlators

agin this random

172. Benjo1981

Again, you seem to be missing/ignoring my posts – please see @167.

“Are consoles more powerful than PC’s? Depending upon your PC setup, there are PC’s out there which are more powerful than consoles.”

173. blackdreamhunk

with just some of those links from different media sources can you really call the gaming industry creatable?

should I even trust them to give me pc gaming numbers

that is just some I can find a lot more links to back up my statments

174. Benjo1981

That video shows a PS2 emulator, not a PS3 emulator. He mentions a PS3 emulator, but does not show one working.

Anymore?

175. Benjo1981

Ok, we’re getting nowhere here..

So what you are saying is that you don’t trust the gaming industry to give you accurate numbers regarding the size of the PC gaming market?

Is that about right?

176. DaMan

stop posting random crap from the internet.

take your time, and come back when you have proof.

177. blackdreamhunk

@Benjo1981

I am just pulling out radom emulators links to prove point. like said I am not going to waste my time with people. who don’t look at my links and then call them spam. frankly if I wanted an eumator I can get one for any console i want.

frankly I am dealing with you right now. I am proving a point if you already don’t see the trend.

178. G1GAHURTZ

Ubisoft must be gutted.

179. blackdreamhunk

@Benjo1981

we are not getting no where huh , i just proven just some of the lies the gaming industry likes to make!

180. Gheritt White

Whatever BDH, I do love you but you have to admit you’re a fucking clown sometimes. It’s well past the stage where you should have admitted that you’re wrong and that X360 and PS3 emulators don’t exist for PC.

It’s okay, we get that you love PCs, but that had to be a total fib when you said you saw a PC running a PS3 emulator. Which is fine, you were getting excited and passionate – it’s okay, we all overstate our cases sometimes.

Plus, you know, you do have a lot of releases to look forward to on PC in the next two years and beyond. PC isn’t going anywhere and will probably be around (in one form or another) after consoles have “died” (i.e. morphed into whatever convergent tech they become, like TV/console/router/microwave/clock-radios or something).

However, you won’t be playing on a PS3 or X360 emulator any time soon. Doesn’t matter what you say, ‘cos let’s face it – what you believe and what goes on in actual, factual reality are pretty gosh-darn far apart.

Have a great weekend BDH, you make sure you give some lovin’ to some hot beautiful women now.

181. Benjo1981

I’ve looked at your links. They don’t prove the existence of emulators for 360 or PS3.

What point are you proving? That the gaming industry isn’t creditable, so you can’t trust what they say about the size of the PC market?

182. blackdreamhunk

2Gheritt White

i know where to get emulators I just not going to post it on here. i have seen friends use some of them too as well.

frankly i don’t have time to look this stuff up for people. emulators are illegal. I don’t just make stuff up.

even that second link says there are emulators for ps3.

183. Benjo1981

@BDH

I think Gheritt has summed up this conversation perfectly. I think it’s time we just agreed to disagree.

Have a good night BDH.

184. blackdreamhunk

2Benjo1981

that’s right run.

185. dirigiblebill

Classic. You might not be able to sustain a train of thought, deal with criticism, support a wild claim or master the common apostrophe, but as long as you can have the last word then JOB WELL DONE, GUV’NOR.

Respond to this. Prove me right.

186. Erthazus

and i’m still waiting for the Xbox 360 and PS3 emulator, because if i had that emulator i would never bought PS3.

but BDH don’t even know what is hypervisor and what it has to do with the console that even famous Iphone Apple cracked PS3 2 months ago except the most important stuff like hypervisor.

Maybe he have some magic to do it. BDH, please, can you send me EMU to my email? That would be badass if i could play some Uncharted 2 on my PC seriously.

187. blackdreamhunk

@dirigiblebill

what you mean all those links point to how the gaming industry lies

Oh wait your too dumb to see a patern

just like 2Benjo1981 you side step the facts>

188. dirigiblebill

No, they don’t. You’ve just chosen to ignore all the people who’ve said so.

189. blackdreamhunk

my questions are black and white not brown and pink

I like yes and no 2Benjo1981 never gave me any yes or no. 2Benjo1981 knew that if he did gave a straight forward answer I would nail him. clearly the gaming industry creditability problem.

telling people consoles are more powerful than pc is misleading

telling people pc gaming is dying is misleading

telling people misleading information is lying.

frankly the gaming industry has fat record of lies

190. Syrok

Ah, might as well…

Land of Hope and Glory, Mother of the Free,
    How shall we extol thee, who are born of thee?
    Wider still, and wider, shall thy bounds be set;
    God, who made thee mighty, make thee mightier yet!

Truth and Right and Freedom, each a holy gem,
    Stars of solemn brightness, weave thy diadem.

Tho’ thy way be darkened, still in splendour drest,
    As the star that trembles o’er the liquid West.

Throned amid the billows, throned inviolate,
    Thou hast reigned victorious, thou has smiled at fate.

Land of Hope and Glory, fortress of the Free,
    How may we extol thee, praise thee, honour thee?

Hark, a mighty nation maketh glad reply;
    Lo, our lips are thankful, lo, our hearts are high!

Hearts in hope uplifted, loyal lips that sing;
    Strong in faith and freedom, we have crowned our King!

191. Gheritt White

When Britain first, at Heaven’s command
    Arose from out the azure main,
    Arose from, arose from out the azure main;
    This was the charter, the charter of the Land
    And Guardian Angels sang this strain:

Rule Britannia, Britannia rule the waves!
    Britons never, ever, ever shall be slaves.
    Rule Britannia, Britannia rule the waves!
    Britons never, ever, ever shall be slaves.

The nations, not so blest as thee,
    Must, in their turns, to tyrants fall,
    Must, in their turns, to tyrants fall;
    While thou shalt flourish great and free,
    The dread and envy of them all.

Rule Britannia, Britannia rule the waves!
    Britons never, ever, ever shall be slaves.
    Rule Britannia, Britannia rule the waves!
    Britons never, ever, ever shall be slaves.

Still more majestic shalt thou rise,
    More dreadful from each foreign stroke;
    More dreadful, dreadful from each foreign stroke.
    As the loud blast, the blast that tears the skies
    Serves but to root the native oak.

Rule Britannia, Britannia rule the waves!
    Britons never, ever, ever shall be slaves.
    Rule Britannia, Britannia rule the waves!
    Britons never, ever, ever shall be slaves.

Thee haughty tyrants ne’er shall tame;
    All their attempts to bend thee down;
    All their, all their attempts to bend thee down.
    Will but arouse; arouse thy gen’rous flame,
    But work their woe and their renown.

Rule Britannia, Britannia rule the waves!
    Britons never, ever, ever shall be slaves.
    Rule Britannia, Britannia rule the waves!
    Britons never, ever, ever shall be slaves.

The Muses still with Freedom found
    Shall to thy happy coast repair;
    Shall to thy happy, happy coast repair.
    Blest isle with matchless, with matchless beauty crown’d,
    And manly hearts to guard the fair.

Rule Britannia, Britannia rule the waves!
    Britons never, ever, ever shall be slaves.
    Rule Britannia, Britannia rule the waves!
    Britons never, ever, ever shall be slaves.