The 3rd Birthday will “exceed expectations”, says Square Enix

Tuesday, 20th April 2010 07:53 GMT By Johnny Cullen

3rd birthday

Square Enix has said its upcoming PSP shooter The 3rd Birthday will “exceed expectations”.

Tweeting on the Square Enix Members Japanese page, director Hajime Tabata said it may be shown off again soon.

“We should have a chance to show it off shortly,” said Tabata, adding that the “cream of the crop” at Square are developing the game.

The 3rd Birthday is considered officially to be a Parasite Eve spin-off, but unofficially as a genuine third title in the series. It’ll be exclusive to PSP, having previously been for mobile phones only in Japan.

Tabata also talked about another game’s directing for PSP: Final Fantasy Agito XIII. He stated that development on the RPG was “progressing well”, before adding “The reaction was extremely positive when we showed the development version to the producers, management and marketing team in March.”

He added it won’t be shown “for a bit”, but insists “it will become an awesome game”.

Last time we heard of Agito XIII, it was still in development, according to Square Enix.

Both of them at E3, please.

Thanks, IGN.

1. Hunam

I’d entirely forgot about this game. They’re taking their sweet time with it.

2. Blerk

I still haven’t played my copy of Parasite Eve 2. I think I’ve had it for nearly ten years now. :-D

3. Johnny Cullen

I think they need to release the two previous games on PSN. I want to play them.

4. Tonka

It’s easy to exceed expectations when there are none.

5. Galactic_Barret

@3 Completely agree. Why is there such a hold-up on PS1 games? Could it be revenue negotiations? Its frustrating how the good ones, the really good ones, haven’t appeared yet. And most of them are from SE. What are they doing over there?

6. Phoenixblight

Bull there is a lot of expectations for this game. I know I can’t wait for it.

Variety of things but I think they will release them closer to the release of this game.

7. DaMan

this game will probably be similar to DoC, a shallow, half assed shooter with PE name just slapped on it. at least that’s what I thought from all those previews last year.

8. Galactic_Barret

Thats silly. Did Xenogears come out on US/EU PSN yet? Does a sequel need to be announced for it to be released?

Wouldn’t it be smart to have two big spikes: One during its standalone release, and the next from 3rd birthdays release? I truly don’t understand the thought process behind these decisions.