Infinity Ward staffer: “We are not dead”

Saturday, 17th April 2010 18:26 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

infinitywardlogo

An anonymous Infinity Ward staffer has that yesterday’s claim of the studio being “dead” is not exactly the case.

According to the source, during a meeting this week, the staff decided that it needs to do what whatever it takes to keep the Modern Warfare name alive.

“First off, yes, it is a shitty situation, but there are two kinds of people left: ones that are sticking it out for the money, and others who want to make something work,” the IW staffer told Kotaku.

“We are not dead, we definitely lost original team members, but not all of the talent. When you talk about the people who left, they are the best in the business, but equally everyone at Infinity Ward deserves that same credential.

“We are here for the long haul of keeping the Modern Warfare name alive, but as your article clearly shows, certain people are still pissed about it. We just had this discussion in our Monday meeting, ‘We still have the talent that will get us to where we need to go, and now is the time to find our new leaders.’”

These comments are in response to allegations that more IW staffers are planning to fly the coup by another anonymous source within the group.

All this stems from Vince Zampella and Jason West being fired by Activision, starting their own dev firm backed by EA and the ensuing legalities from the devs and Activision.

Via Kotaku.

1. ShiroGamer

If they are going to keep saying they are not dead , and Acti keeps saying they love their devs etc etc…

that makes me more convinced that they ARE dead

2. Suikoden Fan

yeah! they arent dead they just have the first case of a living thing suffering from rigor mortis

3. Bulk Slash

After MW2 I’m not sure it’s right to say anyone at IW or Respawn are “the best in the business”…

4. AHA-Lambda

i feel like the only person who LIKED MW2 O_o

5. stretch215

@ 4 : u definitely are not the only one who liked it. The game broke ALL game sales records. It’s lonely at the top, everyone wants to take a shot at the biggest kid on the block. Stop hating

6. DeSpiritusBellum

There’s a lot more to this than most people care to examine though.

First of all it’s a lot more likely that Zampella and West were planning a mutiny, than it is that Activision decided to mess with their biggest cashcow, just for the hell of it.

Secondly, while the withholding of royalties is a dick move under any circumstance, it could likely be a ploy to ensure that the rank and file check out their options before cosidering jumping ship to Respawn. I mean Activision will be paying them royalties no matter what, and I’m pretty sure they know it. It’s clearly to try and stall them for some reason.

While IW could still be dying, we’re still only talking what, 10% of employees gone, if even that? I have no idea, but it would be the logical move if those left behind got a nice raise for not jumping ship.

@4 I’d still consider it the best shooter on the market at this point. I think the anti-MW2 thing is mostly an internet trend.

7. endgame

they’re dead, they just don’t know it yet.

8. AHA-Lambda

It’s a zombie!! Great treyarch will do something funny bout that in cod 7 >_>

9. Demiath

The IW employee desperately reassuring us that IW is alive reminds me of what dear old Maggie used to say about being powerful; if you have to tell people you are, you aren’t…

10. S0meRand0mN00b

i bet he said that with kotics gun made of money pointing at him!

11. Retroid

The scene outside Infinity Ward, yesterday.

12. Galactic_Barret

@6 Guitar Hero, Tony Hawk, Spyro and Crash Bandicoot. All one-time successful series, all run into the ground. So, yes, it is perfectly reasonable to believe Acti decided to mess with its biggest cashcow. Its what they do; They push until its breaks, just to see how much pressure their series/developers can take. We already know how Acti/Kotick work, your defense won’t help them save face.

13. DeSpiritusBellum

@12 The fact that you somehow think I’m trying to save anyone should tell you something about how skewed this whole thing has gotten. Maybe you’re the one that should be looking at how many emotions you have involved. I’m just stating the facts.

Secondly, Activision is a business, a lot of people from the board to the investors signing cheques have a say, and while I’m in no way impressed with their attitude or their ideas, there are still a lot of preventitive measures that would go into effect if the company was being run by rabid squirrels. Keep in mind they’re still expanding, even with this crisis unfolding, while EA are bleeding revenue all over their spreadsheets.

Then look at the guys calling this, yet another unconfirmed source a desperate hitjob, when he’s obviously balancing out the truth, and including the undeniable negatives. Yet people think he’s somehow a hired man, when the other unknown person, who said everyone was miserable, apparently was a prophet for agreeing with the internet.

You don’t think EA, Zampella and West want a say in how people percieve this showdown?

That’s just incredibly stupid. EA are hitting every news outlet they can with one infantile jab after another.

Just follow the facts, and stop being so gullible.

14. bpcgos

not dead, but already deceased, thats what i’m thinking of

15. Galactic_Barret

I’m gullible for believing the truth? That doesn’t make sense. Prior to the whole Acti/IW garbage, there was Harmonix. Before that, Naughty Dog, and Insomniac.
    Hell, last year, Kotick threatened to pull support on the PS3 if the didn’t lower the price. A few hours ago, you said Acti held bonuses promised to their employees as leverage so they wouldn’t move elsewhere (I can’t even believe you tried spinning that). Before that, a developer, from the same IG that once had to deal with them, said his graces and thanked everything that he wasn’t in the same position.
    Paying your employees “millions” isn’t the same as taking care of them.

Likewise, you can’t cause a mutiny if the conditions you were working under weren’t less than exemplary in the first place. We are talking about the developers; Save the shareholder line for a business report.

If I should be following facts, stop typing a whole buncha nothing and point me to them. Because a decade of history contradicts every shill word you post on this page.

16. Galactic_Barret

No facts. Plenty of “could”s and “likely”s, though. Then again, you did polish off that useful statement with ‘MW2 is the best’, so I should have known better.

17. DeSpiritusBellum

@15,16 Fact is those calls on those developers haven’t hurt Activision, quite to the contrary. Would they have made more money if they didn’t cut those developers? Who knows, personally I doubt it. It’s a lot easier to handle a small high intensity publisher, than a huge inflated one, especially in this climate.

Let’s compare:

Activision

Electronic Arts Inc.

You may be upset about it, but it’s still obvious who is on top of making the right decisions.

Also, nobody in their right mind would believe that Activision would cut support to the PS3. If you actually bought that one, then I really don’t think gullible is too harsh a word. It’s just Bobby Kotick needing to hear his own voice again.

I didn’t say anything about Activision offering raises either, I just stated the obvious; that it would be the textbook move if a rival company was trying to siphon your employees. I quite clearly stated that “I had no idea”. And it’s still a fact that Activision has absolutely nothing to gain from withholding royalties, which they will be paying in the end – Except possibly for buying time. Maybe you should calm down and read that part again.

Of course a mutiny is going to be based on discontent. Clearly Zampella and West felt it was a risk worth taking. That still doesn’t make it less sensible for Actvision to get in the first punch to try and seize momentum.

The whole idea of those two guys somehow getting raped is just ridiculous. It didn’t take them very long to get onto EA partners, did it? That’s not exactly an operation you finish in a week.

I do think MW2 is the best shooter out there at the moment. As do the overwhelming majority of consumers and reviewers. Although I’m sure you can warp that fact into your little conspiracy theory too, can’t you?

18. Galactic_Barret

Where does the part involving the developers start? You’re talking money when the everyone else is talking about the people behind the money-maker. I guess its a conspiracy theory when you’re the only one who doesn’t want to believe it, huh? ^.^p

“I have no idea, but it would be the logical move if those left behind got a nice raise for not jumping ship.” Disregarding that, because it has nothing to do with Acti/IW.

Again, what facts do you have pertaining to the incident? I don’t care whom is making more money and which has recently increased their stock; If you don’t have any relevant information on the IW/Acti situation, regarding the personnel, then hush. No one here, NO ONE, cares about anything other then which side is truly right. You have no ‘facts’ on that, so why are you still typing I’ll ask again?

You claimed there was more to the story, then do nothing but speculate and guess what may have happened. Where are the facts, brah? Facts only please. Thanks, duders. ^.^b

19. Galactic_Barret

Here, I’ll help you out: A decent rebuttal would go along the lines of “Acti has done such and such for their employees in the past, has received X award for being a delightful employer, and has received praise from former/employee Y and Z on how well run the work environs are and how non-hostile the bosses are”. Can you do that? That would provide some sort of benefit-of-the-doubt in their favor as apposed to everything everyone else has said about them.

Even the optimistic IW insider made their current overlords look less than benevolent. You insinuated that you knew otherwise and posted nothing of the sort.

If they aren’t evil douches, like EA of yesteryear, now would be the time to speak up.

20. Neolucifer

Why is the guy anonymous then ? We all know it’s PR crap , and that the only IW staff member who would come out publicly to praise IW and activision in this instance would be the obviously sellout and de facto PR factory Robert Bowling , or the poor new smucks giving their souls up as well by joining IW .

21. DeSpiritusBellum

@18, 19 Hehe. Hush, really? You didn’t notice that this was the comment section? I’m not a journalist and I don’t write for this site, nor do I need any journalistic justification for saying whatever the hell I want. I’m just commenting on the fact that people seem more interested in playing the angry mob, than in taking an honest look at the actual events of what happened, and applying common sense.

Now, you can read all sorts of things into what I said, but you’re gonna be left with it on your own. I wrote down my views and my suspicions, and nothing more or less than that.

I’m not the one drawing foregone conclusions based on unknown sources, who may or may not be properly vetted by the original publisher. Nothing is final yet, I just don’t think it’s very likely that you decapitate your flagship studio for no reason, and it becomes even less likely considering the circumstancial evidence supporting the opposite (West/Zampella lawyering up big time out of nowhere, partnering with EA within a week, founding a studio in the same timeframe)

I provided you with the stock posts because you made the claim that Activision are in the business of messing with their biggest cashcows, while facts show that Activision have quite obviously been making the right decisions for their company.

I realize you’re talking morality over substance, but there’s no such thing in business, and that’s what this feud is all about. Publishers don’t give a damn about games, they give a damn about selling them. That’s their job, and if you expect them to provide righteous sanctuary for developers, regardless of how adored they are, then you’re gonna have a lot of disappointments.

And if you think EA are somehow above this sort of crap, well, then we’re right back to the naive part.

By the by, I’ll gladly make a post citing all the circumstancial evidence to support what I’ve said as it has been reported since this started, but we’re making some big posts and I don’t want to make them even longer. My guesswork on loyalty-pay etc. is obviously just that, but it’s still rooted in common-as-dirt business practices.