First Doctor Who: Adventures Game episode releases June 5

Saturday, 17th April 2010 19:25 GMT By Johnny Cullen

doctor who

It’s just been announced that Doctor Who: The Adventure Games, revealed just last week, will release on June 5.

The date was added at the end of the first gameplay footage that aired after tonight’s episode, which featured the Doctor vs Daleks during World War II.

The first adventure, part of an episodic arc for the game, sees the Doctor and Amy Pond – both played by Matt Smith and Karen Gillan in the game in voice and likeness – is set in London during the 1960s.

From the brief footage shown, it also has Daleks as the main antagonist in the first episode of many for the game, developed by Sumo Digital and from the writer of Broken Sword, Charles Cecil.

More details on the game can be found here. It’ll release on PC and Mac.

1. Bulk Slash

I thought the game footage after tonight’s episode looked a bit naff, based on the graphics I thought it was a Wii game!

Presumably the graphics are weak so it will run on a variety of hardware. Still, Sumo Digital are involved so I’ll definitely give it a shot.

2. onlineatron

Such a wasted opportunity!

@Bulk Slash

Imagine if it were a Wii ‘point n’ click’ game… It would, in the right hands, be amazing!

3. satsugai

Abit off topic here but still Dr Who related… Anyone like the new dr? I thought I wouldn’t but he’s alright, just don’t like his aweful outfit.

4. Boris Fett

@ 3

I love the new Doctor. I was extremely apprehensive about him – half the reason being how he looked in photos before the new season aired. The banner for this article is a perfect example. That isn’t even close to how he looks as the Doctor.

Funny you say you don’t like his outfit. It’s quite faithful to the looks of the older doctors. In fact, it’s the outfit that sold it for me.

5. satsugai

Yeah I’m pretty new to the whole Dr Who thing, started with Tennant so that’s probably why I don’t like it.

6. Eon

I’m not expecting much from the game but hopefully it will have a bit of back story to keep it interesting.

I love the new doctor, I think he’s better than David Tennant (who I also loved) and the new season serves well to the old series’ (pre 2005). I agree with Boris, his outfit definitely adds to the whole personality and makes him much more surreal than either Eccleston or Tennant.

7. onlineatron

I’m loving the new Doctor.

He’s more reserved than Tennant but at the same time has this underlying frustration and anger in him.
    He feels older and less sufferable of fools… he has already snapped at Amy on several occasions.

8. Bulk Slash

I think the new Doctor and companion are fantastic. Prior to this series there would be something in just about every episode to annoy me (usually involving the Doctor moping about over Rose) but since Moffat took over I’ve found absolutely nothing to complain about.

Next week will be the real test as it brings back River Song, who I found to be insufferably smug the last time she was on Doctor Who…

9. TheWulf

So a short clip of the game’s graphics is enough to damn the game? You damn kids and your high-end graphics needs, if something doesn’t have normal-mapping and HDR it’s right in the bin with it, and you’re ready for the next toy! :p

In my opinion, this looks very much like the Telltale games, all of which I found quite enjoyable. I can say that the graphics aren’t without merit either as they show good art direction. A bajillion polymagons on screen does not a good game make, it never did.

So I have quite a lot of hope for this, knowing who’s involved. There are some very wonderful people involved, including someone from Revolution.

10. Boris Fett

It’s not that it looks bad. It’s that it looks charmless.

Most Telltale games may not have had high-end graphics behind them, but they had incredible wit and charm. This just looks like a braindead cash-in, to be honest.

11. Blerk

Don’t forget that these games are going to be free. They might not look super-modern, but they’re not costing you anything at all to try out.

The new Doctor Who is much better than the previous series so far, just for ditching Russell T Davies and his panto brigade. Although the new theme tune completely blows.

12. Johnny Cullen

Completely agree with Blerk.

If Steven Moffat was brought in earlier during David Tennant’s reign, there would have been so many great stories with him and Moffat.

There’s a two-parter in S3 that would probably put the case across very well.