Crysis 2 writer: Halo’s story is “bullshit”

Monday, 12th April 2010 13:52 GMT By Johnny Cullen

masterchief

Halo is awesome all of the time, right? Master Chief can go do one, then. At least that’s according to the head writer of Crysis 2.

Speaking at an event last week for the game, Richard Morgan told NowGamer: “Halo is full of these bullshit archetypal characters.

“The reason that its fiction doesn’t work has nothing to do with the fact that you don’t get to see Master Chief’s face, it’s because of lines like ‘Okay … I’m gonna get up there and kill those guys.”

Even though it joins MW2 on “the list”, the series soldiers on with the release of Halo: Reach this fall for Xbox 360. The multiplayer beta kicks off on May 3.

As for Crysis 2, we seen it last week. It’s hard to not get pumped over this, going by what we saw of it and the trailer that launched on Friday.

Catch part one of our interview with Cevat Yerli, CEO of developer Crytek, here. Part two will go live at some point this week.

Crysis 2 releases this holiday for PS3, 360 and PC.

1. subversus

I read his book “Altered Carbon” and yes, he has a right to criticize because he can write and writes good.

2. pleasant_cabbage

Last time I heard someone make so many digs at other people’s story crafting skills etc they went on to produce … HAZE.
    /passes around pinches of salt

3. mington

Whateva!

the way halo 2 ended was awesome and the prophet turkeys are brilliant bad guys

i is sarcastic

4. ExclusivesMostly

@ 2 & 3: lol

5. Mauller

This guy is a douche bag and an asshole from the sounds of it. He has nothing better to do than the rip on other franchises that people enjoy. Get some dignity you pompous, arrogant prick. Yes, the story in Halo is typical, so is MW2. Who cares. People have fun playing them.

6. Erthazus

Richard Morgan you are my hero.

Halo story is even worse then Modern Warfare 2 story. MW is complete stupid bullshit for children, but atleast it’s trying cliche holywood characters that some people like, some people don’t (It’s a matter of taste) and Halo story is trying be really serious with absolutely soulless characters and absolutely generic sci-fi story.

I played only Halo 1 and Halo 2, watched all animes (I thought with anime they could atleast create a decent story, but no) after that i’m done and will never get back to that franchise.

@5 He has a right to criticize the story, as you have a right to say that he is a douchebag, but no one cares about your opinion because that guy wrote incredible books like Altered Carbon and Broken Angels

And he never said that “games are not fun”.

7. fdelfino

Who cares about the freaking story? I just wanna blow stuff up!!

8. mington

@7 YEAH! i just wanna shot stuff then fuck the holes :P

9. Blerk

He’s totally right – Halo’s story is complete wank.

10. abbe

This just reminds me of that borderlands guy talking shit about Valve. :)
    Although this time he actually have valid things to pick on. ;)

11. Bulk Slash

I can’t stand Halo’s “story”, it’s got some cool sci-fi ideas (like the Haloes themselves) but the pretentious spaceship names, lack of characters and thin plot just leave me cold.

Whether I will give a toss about anonymous Crysis guy and his adventures is yet to be seen of course…

12. Goliath

Halo’s story encompasses far more than video games. The world is vast and interesting. His comments show he is very unfamiliar with Halo.

13. AlmightyDogbert

Well mate, you better be able to pull the fucking shawshank redemption of games out of your ass to cover these comments.
    To be honest, crysis two doesn’t look like a schindler’s list of story writing… OMG ALIENZ R IN NYC!
    DUN WORY! I AM THE MAST3RCH1- I MEAN NANO SUIT GUY!!

FUCKING ALINES!!! BANG BANG BANG!!! oooo pretty graphics! BANG BANG BOOOOOM!

14. Bikki

im an proud xbox 360 owner but i can also proudly say that the Halo series is the most boring games there is.

15. Quiiick

Yes, he’s totally right. Halo’s story is embarrassing.

16. Gheritt White

I dunno – Halo 1′s story might have been clichéd, but it was very well paced and deeply engrossing. The other two games didn’t really have much of a plot at all.

17. pleasant_cabbage

lol @13

I hope he does produce something better than the usual fare for stories in games. Even most mature titles (in which you may expect something approaching ‘meaty’ to transpire) are criminally silly.

18. Dralen

He’s not being a douche, he’s just stating fact, the Halo games do have a very weak story. When I played through the games I didn’t feel like the bigger picture was being put across to me very well, and I believed the main goal was; aliens are attacking, kill them. If you really read into the back story then you will find it quite deep, but it just isn’t put across into the games.

19. xino

I actually agree with this him.
    Halo is turning into bullsh*.

Seriously, Halo 1 was all about playing as the badass Master Chief, the fight for the Halo ring and universe and the enemies are Convenient.
    Now after Halo 1, Bungie are expanding the story too much!

The story is not even Halo which was about Chief, Convenient and Rings. Now the story is about Abriter, Brutes, prophecies, forerunner and all this bullsh*!

That’s the problem when you expand game franchise, they turn to sh*! Just like how Resident Evil is a complete bullsh*!

20. NoxNoctisUmbra

Halo story IS bullshit! I love that guy! Finaly someone admited, but oh no, if a normal PERSON SAYS it , HALO fans will call him a PS3 Fanboy.

21. DaMan

if you played Halo for it’s story you’re a moron.

22. rainer

He is right, Halo is one giant cliche fest ripped from various sci-fi and military media sources.

But it was intended to be, to sell to middle America which is exactly what it did so well. So while I cannot stand the Halo storyline or anyone who heaps praise on it I understand its popular appeal.

Independence Day and Transformers are basically the cinematic equivalent.

But I thought Crysis was also ridiculousness and an attempt to mimic Halo’s path so I will be interesting to see if this guy can do any better.

23. itsucks

At least is betther than that Shit JAYYYYYSSSUUMMMNNN!!, HADDDEEEESSS!! and Shit, Shit, Shit!!! x 9000 Times(unshited).

24. The Hindle

What was funny is how Bungie thought people actually cared about finishing the fight. It was the multiplayer that sold Halo.

25. AlmightyDogbert

@22 OI!

Independence day was awesome.
    Opens spacecraft – punches alien.
    “Welcome to earth.”

26. Blerk

Halo’s story is way better than the Transformers movie. That was some God-awful shit.

27. The Hindle

But Blerk that redeemed itself by a semi naked Megan Fox :D

28. Blerk

I don’t much like her. She always seems sort of bitchy and a bit chavvy. You can have her.

29. Erthazus

@21 it’s always was advertised about Halo’s story, like: *Finish the fight… Halo 3*. But then again, you think that gameplay what makes this game pure gold?

Maybe…

Except NOT. Everytime new Halo came out i played Half-Life 1/2 or Unreal Tournament 1/2004.

30. DaMan

yeah, that’s why all those games got 10-9 from Edge and that’s why it was in fact the game that saved Xbox.

I always found comments like #29 funny. after 10 years and universal acclaim the game got, some butthurt guys are still saying this. seriously.

also, nobody put it against PC games. it was fantastic for last gen consoles.

31. Paavi

The fact that Crysis 2 has a great writer doesn’t necessarily mean the game will have a great story and a great narrative. The hard job will be to tell the story in a unique way using the interactive medium that is videogames. You can’t learn that by writing novels, so the main pressure will no doubt be on those who will be converting the story from words to explosions and men shouting “OSCAR MIKE RAMIREZ”. A cliche maybe, but I think people should remember this before jumping to any kind of conclusions about the story of Crysis 2 or any other game for that matter.

32. DJ Deathstar

@29 I don’t think that by saying finish the fight Microsoft or Bungie were in any way saying OMG EVERYONE THE STORY IS AWESOME COME AND FINISH IT im pretty sure they were just saying that its the last of the original trilogy

33. Erthazus

@30 i always found comments like #30 funny because they can’t see a marketing campaign and hype behind it. Game is just a phenomenon.

And no one need to put it against PC games. We are NOT talking about PC, we are talking about GAMES.
    Halo was always mediocre and no matter what it is, it’s going to sell and have good scores.
    Halo 3 came out and it was the most embarassing thing in the middle of A class FPS games and still it got 90-100 scores from reviewers. You just don’t get it, do you? It’s a phenomenon game.

Can’t wait to see reviewers go apeshit about Halo:Reach new engine that looks like (Unreal Engine 2.5, oh snap, i played Unreal Tournament 2004 at 2004 year) with direct X8-9 effects and bungie finally got it, how to make a next gen game.

34. Bulk Slash

Let’s not get silly here. Bayformers is much worse than anything else on this planet. Halo’s story is actually quite good in comparison.

35. DaMan

erm, yeah.. which is why I mentioned something like Edge. but no you’re right. they are typical dumbfucks, they also got paid for all those scores. a boy on the internet surely knows better.

also wasn’t you the person who said Killzone2 was a great game? :) why not put it against Half Life too?

anyway, I guess you’re one of those butt hurt guys who think Timesplitters was better, and are still angry that Xbox survived last gen? seriously, you say “you re talking about GAMES”, name me some decent PS2 multiplayer first person shooters (better yet, from 2001).

36. The1stMJC

I kinda want this game to fail now because this dude talking way too much shit.

37. Petulant Radish

The story is shit, the gameplay is feckin brilliant though. Anyone who doesn’t agree with me is basically Adolf Hitler dressed up in a tutu wearing panda bear suit.

38. DaMan

point is nothing on either of the last gen consoles was comparable really.

39. Dralen

What I’ve never thought about until now; is how the hell did the Halo games score so high in reviews? Yes it did have great gameplay and multiplayer, but the story also comes into quite a high factor in how they score games. Hmmm, I guess it just really was overhyped.

40. kernelpotter

While I compare no one to Hitler(P. Radish)…I will say the action, environment, and enemy AI is on point in all Halogames. The self-righteous douche who is writing Crysis 2 is setting himself up for failure. Why pick on Halo’s story when very few games have a story anyone reaaly gives a shiznit about!

41. The Hindle

You sing Edges praises Daman yet have a go at Ign hmm….. ok. Halo 1 and 2 deserved thier success because the first Halo defined console fps and Halo 2 defined Xbox live, but Halo 3 is still to this day the most overhyped game there is.

42. Erthazus

@35 you are wrong. I never said that. Killzone 2 is the same shit as Halo game, but the only exception is that it have mediocre holywood characters that look like holywood characters. So it have some mediocre story, but atleast at COD level that is still aweful, Graphics, multiplayer and everything else again OVERRATED.

Timesplitters? I didn’t even played that game.

And if PS2 or other console don’t have decent multiplayer shooter or any shooter at all, it doesn’t make HALO as the shooter of the generation, it makes a shooter with no alternative. I.don’t.Fucking.Care. what mediocre shooters everybody played, i know that in 2001 i played games like Half-Life, Unreal Tournament, Wolfenstein, Quake III Arena and e.t.c.

and why EDGE need to be paid? They are just in the same hype train that everybody else.

you are wrong and trying to name me as a fanboy or butthurted but with all your thoughts you are wrong.

43. DaMan

okay. so the fact that PS2/Xbox didn’t have any great fps at that time doesn’t make Halo that great for consoles? okay, read that one more time. surely, that way Uncharted2 graphics aren’t deserving 9-10, since PC has some great looking games. righty, Uncharted2 visuals aren’t great, there just isn’t any aternatives. incredible logic, buddy!

and “label”? no I was just laughing at your hatred towards certain games, and wondering if that was the reason. PS2 fanboys has always been one of the typical ones.

you are wrong you are wrong you are wrong. okay.

44. DaMan

and Hindle yeah. if you ever looked into their scores then you probably noticed.

45. Tallon 4

Crysis a better story than HALO??
    This is a joke right?
    Everyone who is into HALO knows better.

46. The Hindle

I have looked into thier scores and they really are as bad as each other. Ign were to lenient whilst Edge are way to harsh.

47. DaMan

examples?

48. The Hindle

Halo Odst = 9 for Edge 6 hours at £40 and they give it a 9
    SOTC = 8 regarded as one of the greatest games of all time.
    Halo 3 = 10 enough said really
    Resi Evil 4 = 9 when it so was a 10

Ign 9.9 for Jade Empire which was funny
    They gave Uc 2 a 9.5 when everyone else was giving a 10

49. DaMan

exactly, Halo3 got a 10, and Ico got a 9. the successor getting a score one point lower. they do that with pretty much everything, with a couple of exceptions.

you were saying ‘Edge are too harsh and ign too lenient’ btw. anyway, the fact that you put them alongside is laughable. obviously your favourite games were rated ‘unfair’.

50. The Hindle

Really so you would say Halo Odst is a 9 if so youre laughable my friend. Ign tend to be fairly spot on these days with thier reviews whilst Edges always let thier egos get in the way.

51. DaMan

I’m saying they gave Halo 3 a 10, which makes ODST getting a 9 sensible.

52. DaMan

anyway, whatever really. N4G keep saying Edge are MS biased. I would suggest you doing some research though.

53. Erthazus

@43 actually it has recognition not about the graphics, it’s all about the design that many games lack on PC or consoles. Graphics is not the technology only, it’s a DESIGN.
    If you look at the Gametrailers nominatons for last years best Graphics (It’s just an example) there was Muramasa among Uncharteds and other games. It’s a design and in my opinion and in the recent memory it is the most polished game i ever saw. The polish level of the game is just ridiculous.

They used CELL processor to utilize train level that can manage terrain and landscape without loading or using MB XDR. Thats’ an achievement.

You are wrong again.

What is label have to do with the Halo? It’s not about the label. It’s a very good marketing campaign that Microsoft likes to spent for their games. Especially that one.

and hatred for what? I just don’t like bad games no matter what label or marketing they are. If you like Halo, it’s your problem that you don’t have taste for gaming. You will play Halo and i’m going to play other games like Half-Life.

54. ww3pl

At last someone said that out loud.

Halo’s story is as epic as is dead deer, rotting in the forest of Georgia. I ended my poor adventure with Halo franchise on the 3rd installment.

I’m not getting ODST nor Reach, these series have already failed me 3 times.

Never again.

55. The Hindle

Really it was 6 hours long, was orginally meant to be £20 and was more of the same. Kz 2 got marked down for it being unorignal and bland but Halo Odst wasnt.

56. The Hindle

Oh no they are not biased but just up thier own arses.

57. DaMan

thanks for enlightening me. what’s next, you will start explaining that there’re different graphics APIs? and nice way of dodging my question.

anyway, I can’t argue with someone who thinks Uc2 deserves high score for graphics because it’s “polished” while Halo gameplay doesn’t :).

kindly piss off. it’s not like someone will stop playing Halo and get a Crysis instead because of your comments.

58. DaMan

Hindle – they clearly have a system where each of the subsequent games gets a score 1 point lower. that’s what I meant.

59. DaMan

oh, and Erthazus –

“in my opinion”. see that? for future reference, you should’ve simply said that “in your opinion Halo3 isn’t a great game”. and nobody would give a fuck, that would be enough, you don’t have to quote and attack anyone who doesn’t share it.

60. Erthazus

@57 i’m not dodging your question. You are just giving me dumb questions that i don’t know how to answer. Seriously.

Again, when games being judged by graphics they look not in to the technology ONLY. They look in to HOW GAME LOOKS OVERALL. Game can be really technologically something or it can be well polished with level design. There are a lot of stuff from what you can judge graphics.

At 2009 there was nothing better then Uncharted 2 game in the design and nothing better with technology (Same multiplatform engine crap). If at 2009 we would see Crysis 1 then it could win or fight against Uncharted 2, but there was NOTHING better at (!) 2009 (!) then Uncharted 2.

And Halo gameplay is polished? Can you explain me how? You mean shooting is a gameplay? Wowzer. Maybe i should back to the franchise and will try to shoot. Maybe it’s something new.
    Or you mean mechanics? If you mean that, then i can say what game deserve recognition: Quake 3 Arena or Unreal Tournament 1,3, 2004 and e.t.c. Thats what people call brilliant.

They don’t need to read my comments, consumer can buy every shit he will see at the “BEST BUY”.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AyVh1_vWYQ — look here, the same Halo situation. Halo is shit, but everyday consumer will not care and buy this (Halo) piece of shit.

and btw if you look at the comments here, 80% people are not so happy about Halo. I’m just sayin’ and don’t forget to call me butthurted or a Playstation fag, ghey, fanboy, e.t.c. I.Don’t.Fucking.Care, i care only for a good games.

61. loki

Crysis 2 writer just idiot

62. Gheritt White

You know what, discussing Halo’s story with non-Mac gamers is, for me, like discussing V for Vendetta with people who’ve only seen the film.

I couldn’t blame anybody for thinking VfV is shit if they’ve only seen the movie. In fact, I would actually look down on those that actually think the story in VfV is any good if they’re basing their opinion on the movie alone.

So too with Halo… if you were following the game through all it’s pre-release incarnations, all the way from 1997 through Macworld until it’s re-design as an FPS rather than a third-person action-exploration game, then you’d have a far greater idea of what the story was meant to be all about.

Halo under the hands of Seropian-Bungie rather than Microsoft-Bungie was a very different game – a richer, more cleverly thought out and deeper game. Again, you only need to check out the Cortana letters that were released to the Marathon community to see that originally Halo’s story was – whilst clichéd – far more poetic (mournful even) than light-weight and gung-ho.

If you think that Bungie (or at least Seropian-Bungie) are incapable of telling a good story, spend some time in the ‘Facts and puzzling things about…’ section of the the Marathon’s Story archive. But hey, I know that most of you won’t because it’s a bit unwieldy and obtuse, plus it did all happen a very long time ago now.

Just know this – Halo’s story was at least *meant* to be very, very good at one stage.

63. theevilaires

the story may have been a little out there but its SCi-fi what do you expect. The gameplay is what counts really.

64. DaMan

you dodged the question about the analogy between Uc2 getting high scores for graphics and Halo3 getting similar for it’s gameplay. too fast for you?

I suggest you first go and find out the meaning of a word “polished”.

hehehe. I especially like how you say “I.Don’t.Fucking.Care” after that wall of bla bla bla.

65. G1GAHURTZ

tea +1

66. The Hindle

Ahh fair dos Daman i just thought it weird you dont like Ign but like Edge who do similar things thats all.

As for Halos story honestly is anyone buying Halo Reach for its story or are they wanting to run over a grunt with a warthog and watch it scream. :D

67. Gheritt White

I will be buying Halo: Reach for its story, yes. I’m hoping that post-Microsoft-Bungie is actually a return to their ’90s form.

68. The Hindle

Ahh i see, you mentioned Graphic novels before btw The Walking Dead has been comissioned for a tv series. Starts in October.

69. DaMan

GW, if you ‘re referencing my post then I implied “primarily”

70. dirigiblebill

“Again, you only need to check out the Cortana letters that were released to the Marathon community to see that originally Halo’s story was – whilst clichéd – far more poetic (mournful even) than light-weight and gung-ho.”

The “poetic” mournfulness of the Halo universe is what turns me off about it – if it took itself a little less bloody seriously it’d be my favourite shooter series. Stupid Cortana, always falling over and looking vulnerable in a bootalicious sort of way. Worse than Dom and his frickin’ wife.

71. Erthazus

@62, Obviously you can say that for every shitty game that have an average story could be better if you look somewhere there is a scenario and blah, blah, blah…
    I saw games, it’s enough for me. Games cost and publisher, developer believe that this works and cost every penny. I don’t think so.

@64 it’s a dumb question. I’m telling you that second time. I don’t understand what you are trying to judge and i know what is *polished*

72. DaMan

me no speeky english.

“I can’t argue with someone who thinks Uc2 deserves high score for graphics because it’s “polished” while Halo gameplay doesn’t”

73. G1GAHURTZ

The best gaming story has to be the rollercoaster ride in Super Mario Bros.

***SPOILER ALERT***

Wow, the way that just at the last minute, when you think that it’s all over… and then… BAM!

‘Sorry, but our Princess is in another castle…’

What a twist!

It’s pretty amazing stuff.

74. Gheritt White

@ 71: I’m sorry, but not every game is even close to being as densely plotted as Marathon or pre-Microsoft Halo. If you clicked on those links, you’d see for yourself. Even the way in which the Cortana letters were delivered was unique. And have you all forgotten ILoveBees? Nobody would have gotten involved with the Haunted Apiary if they hadn’t been engaged by Halo:CE’s story.

@ 70: All of that stuff only happens in Halo 2 and 3 – I try to forget those games in much the same way as i try to forget The Matrix’s sequels.

@ 68: OMFG – THAT’S AWESOME!!! Thanks for the heads-up buddy, that gives me so much to look forwards to! Wait, it’s being done by Frank Darabont?? HURRAH! Let’s hope AMC bring it over to the UK’s shores without too much of a delay! Now where’s my Ex Machina TV series…

75. Mike

It may be bullshit, but it’s more fun to play than Crysis. So ner ner ner-ner ner.

What an idiot.

76. NiceFellow

@75 and a fair few others who clearly haven’t read any detail about this whatsoever: the guy is an actual well reviewed writer.

He has been hired to help with Crysis 2. He had nothing to do with Crysis and it’s pretty obvious from his comments he’d happily class that as shit, too. In fact, you don’t have to guess too far to realize that if asked about pretty much any game his response on the writing would be: “it was a bit crap”.

He’s quite right, too, from his perspective. But his perspective is purely on the written word as it exists within the game, which if you read him in context is clear. He’s not taking the view that gameplay or anything to do with the game being a good game excuses weak writing, which means he’s right from his perspective about almost every game as almost every game features pretty weak writing.

Also, in other interviews it’s emerged he’s given the Crytek guys a tough time about improving writing within the gameplay Universe.

I for one am interested to see how this goes. Normally the story always bends to the gameplay : arguably correctly, but I’m always interested in change and if they can deliver a decent game with a novel level of writing/story (and I mean a good novel, not some Star Wars novelization) then I’d be more than happy to see the bar raised like that.

Now, if Crysis 2 sucks too, he’s going to have some explaining to do. But until then, he can say this and be pretty much on the money.

77. Mauller

My issue is with his arrogance. It’s all a matter of opinion and he’s fully entitled to his and I’m sure he’s a great writer, though I’ve never heard of him. For him to say it’s all shit and I’m going to write nothing but gold is pure arrogance. Dude needs to get over himself.

If he wants to criticise something, offer up some constructive criticism or some actual thoughts on what he would have done different. So far I’ve heard nothing other than disrespectful comments regarding the work of others. Like I said before though, I agree with him, the Halo story is shit.

78. Mike

@76: It doesn’t matter. You don’t go around calling other people’s work “bullshit” in interviews unless you’re a bit a prick.

79. Mike

…and yeah, the Halo story isn’t going to win any awards soon. But as a vehicle to get you in the mood for killing more stuff in fantastically different ways – every. time. you. play. the. game. – it’s absolutely fine.

80. DaMan

oh and Hindle, you can find bias anywhere if you want to. ign are one of the many sites that give pretty much any big title high scores (god forbids that they give a FF something below 8), and they aren’t nearly as consistent in their ratings as Edge.

81. DeSpiritusBellum

Wow… A videogame with no story that’s jam packed with ridiculous archetypes pulled out of 1980′s cinema?!

STOP THE PRESSES!

Really, if Morgan wastes his time stating the obvious with this sort of zeal and consistency, I’m dreading what his books must be like.

“He walked out the door. A door is a contraption made from wood with a lock built into it, connected via an inner mechanism to a sort of lever, allowing the door to swing on a pair of hinges from the doorframe, put there to spare the door and isolate the building”

Christ…

Oh yeah… And speaking of a game with no story, jam packed with ridiculous archetypes pulled out of 1980′s cinema… Remember those “spooky hardman special forces guys of various races and accents with high tech equipment” in I don’t know.. CRYSIS?

82. NiceFellow

@78 – true, although he’s right he does come across more than a bit precious and he could be more civil in his comments.

@77 – no, what constitutes good writing isn’t just an opinion. There’s elements of opinion, sure, but a fair bit can be quantified. Also, there are facts, opinions and informed opinions – where the person with the opinion by basis of experience or additional knowledge has an opinion that carries more weight.

An informed opinion isn’t automatically right – but it does count higher than a plain old opinion from an uninformed source.

83. Mauller

@82 I agree, but I also feel that if someone is going to rip into something and outright insult something, there should be some form of reason behind it. As I said, I’d like to hear his thoughts on what was so bad about it and what he would have like to have seen different or what he would have changed not just say “It’s shit because I say so.”

84. Yayap4

I now refuse to buy a crysis game(it lookd stupid anyways).

85. Yayap4

i agree with the guy(83)above my first post. exept i like halo. so BLAH I AM MAD NOW I EAT BRAINS AND STUFF!!!

86. Charlie Sheen

comments like these is the reason why crysis 3 will be shit lul

87. Da Man

Please refrain from bumping threads from years ago.

Thx.