Apple: 450K iPads sold, responsible for 3.5M downloads

Thursday, 8th April 2010 18:41 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

ipad

iPad launched last weekend, and already it has sold over 450,000 units and garnered over 3.5 million app downloads.

This is a rather massive jump from the April 2 weekend figures which saw Apple’s iPad sell over 300K its first weekend and account for 1 million App downloads.

Folks have also purchased over 600K books through the iBookstore.

All was revealed during the iPhone event going on at the moment.

It was also revealed that multi-taksing without the subsequent battery drain is coming to both iPad and iPhone this summer (via OS 4.0).

Good to know, even though we don’t own either one. We are just happy for the lot that does.

Engadget is liveblogging the event through here, go have a look.

1. cookiejar

Also announced a gaming service called Game Center. Has achievements and matchmaking etc etc.

2. Redh3lix

I want one. I dont NEED one and cant think of anything I would do with one other than surf the internet, but still, it really is awesome as a gadget, isn’t it?

3. Eon

Redh3lix, I know what you mean. I’m the same. Up untill 15 months ago I had never owned an apple product, got the iPhone 3G…loved it. Decided to get myself an iMac some 6 months later after being so impressed with my first Apple product and I absolutely love my iMac too. So it didn’t take long for Apple to convert me.

I love my iMac but I could really do with a laptop of some sort, I don’t want to spend out on a macbook though. I just want something that is handy for the internet (I use the internet on my iphone an awful lot), office software but ideally and this is one hell of a request but I want Photoshop CS5 to be compatible. I wont be buying an iPad because I don’t think I would benefit from it enough at the moment but if a future iteration had some of the main guys from the Adobe suite I would pay a s*** load of money to get my hands on it. It would make webdesign on the go blissful if implemented properly because I hate using photoshop on laptops…urgh.

/Rant

4. endgame

i can’t believe this. some ppl r dying of hunger while others r buying things that they don’t need. that is the nature of humans. sad.

5. frostquake

I went and played with this at a Best Buy. OMG this thing is HORRIBLE….VERY UNDER POWERED!!! I am an Apple Geek, but they have have got to step it up a bit..this is like a Gamecube to Wii scenario. Has almost NO memory…so get a few Movies and it is FULL!! No Camera…Screen smudges terribly..Pad kind of weird size to play in hand..I had to sit it down to play the little rolling game they had on it…

Up the Memory a Ton, put a Camera on it, and make 3G Free like Amazon does on its crappy Kindle..and maybe…But right now..NO FREAKING WAY…This is nothing but iPhone LITE with a Massive Screen and NO FREAKING MEMORY!! Buy Lord of the Rings Trilogy and your Memory is FULL..SHEESH!!

6. cookiejar

@4 Welcome to Capitalism.

7. DarkElfa

…and so begins the never ending reports of App availability and download amounts for the iPad.

8. lemon

wow, good news for apple, now the number come up to larger.
    well got the ipad, yeah, we can watch movies, enjoy favourite videos, read ebooks, play games, read news and so on. well, I think enjoy yourself with iPad will need many apps and tools, Here share a list of iPad apps and games to all, go to this iPad column: http://www.ifunia.com/ipad-column/index.html
    and iPad video tools: http://www.ifunia.com/video-to-ipad-converter-mac.html