Two more developers leave Infinity Ward following COD-Gate

Tuesday, 6th April 2010 05:08 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Infinity Ward

Just over a month after the events that seen ex-heads of Infinity Ward Jason West and Vince Zampella ousted from the studio, two more senior key figures from the studio have now left the developer.

Lead software engineer Francesco Gigliotti and Todd Alderman, a lead designer for the dev and a major influence into Modern Warfare 2′s story and multiplayer, have both left the studio.

They spent seven and eight years at the studio respectively, according to the pair’s LinkedIn CVs.

It is thought that if anyone decides to leave the studio following what happened last month, they lose their rights to unpaid royalties from MW2, effectively keeping staff from walking out on the studio.

Not much has been heard on the Infinity Ward situation since West and Zampella’s sacking last month, although have signed up to a Hollywood talent agency as well as started legal proceedings against Activision for $36 million in unpaid royalties and full control of the Modern Warfare IP.

Only last week, the studio’s Rob Bowling said morale at the studio “was high”, despite what happened a month earlier.

The first DLC package for Modern Warfare 2 released last week for Xbox Live.

Thanks, Kotaku.

1. BaconMonkey

I hope they dry-fuck Kotick in his fat, greed-soaked, pie-birthed balloon knot.

2. Blerk

So, how long before the new team gets announced? :-)

3. The_Red

The whole affair is really bad for gamers since one of the most talented development teams of our time is slowly falling apart. I hope Activision goes bankrupt soon.

4. endgame

well, and there was I thinking that there’s no one at IW that has any ballz left. i stand corrected. u’ve done the RIGHT thing Mr. Gigliotti and Mr. Alderman, I wish u all the best in the future and I hope i’ll be playing one of your games as soon as possible.

now I can’t wait to see what that Bowling douche-bag has to say about this.

5. Blerk

It’s probably not about ‘balls’, iirc weren’t they still waiting for their royalty payments from MW2? Leaving before those arrive might not even be financially viable for most of them.

6. endgame

but shouldn’t they have been paid by now? if Mr. Zampella and Mr. West (i hope i got their names right, if not, I apologize) r suing Acti for unpaid royalties than it means that they should have been.

7. Blerk

Dunno. If I was Activision I’d be holding those royalties back for as long as legally possible.

8. Aimless

I don’t see the point in Activision not paying out the royalties. I mean I get that it’s a means of holding the development staff to ransom, but why bother? If someone doesn’t want to be there they aren’t going to be the most productive team member in the world, and once the pay out arrives they won’t have much reason to stay. It’s just delaying the inevitable and being a complete dick about it in the process.

Basically I feel sorry for Bobby Kotick’s ex-girlfriend.

9. endgame

Blerk, guys! there r laws. they can’t just do that and hope to get away with it. can they? :p

10. NiceFellow

Sounds like as soon as they pick up their royalties the main team’s walking. It’s pretty normal to see the core team follow the leads.

It’s not like they’ll struggle to get picked up after delivering an unbroken stream of hit games.

11. AHA-Lambda

wehen do they get their royalties? Its the start of a new fiscal year now after all O_o

12. G1GAHURTZ

Depends on the contract.

It’s not uncommon in the games industry to be promised bonuses, then recieve nothing at all.

‘Errr… Yeah, it’s a recession guys, so just be glad that you’ve got jobs, you know…’

EA had to be sued just to pay it’s staff overtime, don’t forget. Such is the way of much of the industry.

13. AHA-Lambda

jesus why aren’t MORE people suing activision?!

14. Bulk Slash

Maybe it’s time for gamers of the world to unite and start a class action lawsuit against Activision to sue them for being cunts.

15. adam13

at what point does one say, “hey guys we’ve made so much F***in money lets let our staff do what they do best and also lets stop ripping off our consumers “….

16. blackdreamhunk

hahahahahahaha and more game devs will be leaving too…..I thought they were so happy there what a joke

17. NGCes26294BIV

“I thought they were so happy there”

What gave you that idea?

18. Blerk

I imagine they were happy until Activision started dicking them around.

19. G1GAHURTZ