Mikami given “too much freedom” on God Hand

Tuesday, 6th April 2010 09:22 GMT By Johnny Cullen

god hand

God Hand may have done decently critically, but its commercial success wasn’t as good – which was down to too much freedom given to creator Shinji Mikami. Or so says the man himself.

Speaking to Edge, Mikami, the well-known creator of Resident Evil, said: “I’ve released a lot of titles before and I feel that, perhaps specifically with regard to God Hand, I was given too much freedom to make that game just as I liked. It didn’t sell too well.”

But despite that, the title, released on PS2 in 2006 from the now defunct Clover studios at Capcom, won’t see him make the same mistakes with new title Vanquish from Platinum Games.

“We’re definitely going for something a little more massmarket that will appeal to a wide audience,” he said. “Certainly a bigger one than God Hand had.” We [Platinum and Sega] knew that these were points we had to address from the very beginning, and Vanquish is a result of that.”

Vanquish is due for a release this winter for PS3 and 360.

Via CVG.

1. Robo_1

If that’s what happens when the man is given too much freedom, then take them shackles off him right now. God Hand is still one of my favourite games ever, just works so well.

2. Blerk

God Hand is possibly my favourite ever game that I’ve been too shit at to actually play.

3. The_Red

I think that is exactly the reason why the game was so fascinating.

4. unacomn

The only thing I know about God Hand is the incredibly awesome ending credits song. Judging by that, the game must be great.

5. Hero of Canton

If God Hand is the result when Mikami’s given too much freedom, I only hope he’s given too much freedom in future, too.

6. DaMan

it wasn’t that great though, gameplay was unpolished, enemies were way too cheap and the controls were clumsy.

if they spent a bit more time on it, God Hand could’ve been much better.

7. Hero of Canton

You deserve your ass dragon-kicking to the Milky Way for that remark.

The controls are immaculate and the gameplay is balanced to perfection. You only need to look at Saurian’s videos on YouTube to see what a master can do with it.

It’s hard, sure, but that shouldn’t be held against it, particularly when people go doolally over the likes of Demon’s Souls.

8. DaMan

it wasn’t hard, it was cheap. the camera was retarded as well.

well maybe I couldn’t get into it enough, but anyway: I beat ie Bayo on all difficulties, and I found normal mode easy and hard was like normal. there wasn’t a single time when I died and didn’t know where I went wrong. every single time I knew it was clearly my mistake. can’t say the same about this one.

9. Vertical Stand

*pimps smacks DaMan*

God Hand is a great game, and while Vanquish may turn out to be a stunner as well, the art design looks dull, I’d rather a designer had more rather than less creative freedom.

It just that God Hand came out late in the PS2 lifespan and was dumped by Capcom who had killed off Clover. The stupid review from IGN didn’t help matters…were it to be made available as a download I reckon it would find a wider following due to word of mouth.