DICE: Medal of Honor is no Bad Company 2 clone

Friday, 2nd April 2010 15:08 GMT By Johnny Cullen

mohlogo

Medal of Honor is “absolutely not” a clone of Battlefield: Bad Company 2 in terms of multiplayer, according to DICE.

The developer’s already released Bad Company 2 last month, with it doing the multiplayer for MoH from EALA.

But BFBC2 producer Gordon van Dyke has said to IGN both games multiplayer won’t copy each other.

When asked if that was the case, however, van Dyke said: “No. Absolutely not. I don’t know if I’m allowed to say this, [but] people shouldn’t expect a clone of Bad Company 2 for Medal of Honor’s multiplayer.”

He clarified further: “It’s just like if you went and saw one action move and then another one came out that year, you’re not gonna say, ‘Oh, I’m not going to go see that one.’ If it was the same director, maybe you’d want to go see that other one even more.

“I think it’s more like it’s good for all of us, because Medal of Honor’s a cool franchise, it gives us the ability to express ourselves through multiplayer in a bit of a different way.”

Medal of Honor is due out later this year for PS3, 360 and PC.

1. Erthazus

so it is without vehicles and destruction? Like Urban Warfare?

I’m sick of that Counter-Strike formula.

2. Redh3lix

Its a winning formula though Erthazus. A decent FPS is generally a safe bet to make money for devs/publishers.

3. DarkElfa

Its a bad clone of MW2.

4. David

in the words of Yahtzee “Duke Nukem all is forgiven the one liners the average running speed of 60mph even all the striper buisness that meant I had to play with one hand hovering over the reset button when ever my mum was around I’ll wait as long as you want me too just please let me play another shooter were I have more weapons than eye balls were if I get bored I can clear out a room with a transfunctionating cyber bollucks canon that I was saving for the next boss fight where I can run out into the open with the tactics of a suicide bomber and suffer no damage that can’t be fixed by cello taping a first aid kit to my chest I’ll be glad when the modern warfare bubble blows over and we can end the tyranny of REALISM”

Phew that was a lot but you get my point.

5. pha1r

I can’t see how they could make a worse game than that overrated tripe.

6. DeSpiritusBellum

@5 It’s not hard, just ask DICE.

@4 You’ll totally sacrifice your suspension of disbelief if you do it any other way. I’m pretty sure what got Yahtzee enraged was the fact that DICE didn’t do a very good job of balancing the realism with actual fun. The campaign was a complete mess.

7. David

I took his point in regards to all of these shooters. I’m so bored of the realistic warfare shooter. I grew up with games like unreal and quake were the idea of a shooter was not realistic but something off the wall awesome. One of my favorite shooters still to this day is Serious Sam. I’m so sick and tired of these kind of realistic shooters. Its so depressing seeing your friends list all playing the same type of game. Never branching out trying something a bit different.

8. DeSpiritusBellum

@7 To each their own I suppose, but I still don’t think that was really his point. I loved the hell out of Duke Nukem and Doom back in the 90′s, but redone bit by bit, those games would bore me today.

It just comes down to the way those games apply their content. Neither Doom nor Duke Nukem applied their many weapons very well. They were all used in the exact same way, and today that would bore the hell out of me. Quake II actually did it quite well. I remember the various weapons being pretty important. I wouldn’t mind seeing a game like Rage do that over again.

I’m more peeved with the trend of all of these war shooters that have nothing to do with actual warfare. It would be nice to see a little slice of reality thrown in there, and I think people would recognize it as being a bit more intense for it.

9. David

wasn’t using the quote as his point using it to sum up how I feel about these games today.

I play games for fun and to escape from the reality of the world. Most of these shooters today are just boring to me.

My current most played games online:
    Left 4 Dead 2, Aliens Versus Predator and Halo 3

Its the only games out there that actually feel different from most of the crap out there.

I’m totally going off topic I respect dice as a developer loved Mirrors Edge but I’ll probably avoid this game just as I have bad company 2.

10. loki

LOL Medal of Honor is no Bad Company 2 clone, it is mediocre COD 4 clone

11. polygem

@david: i agree. i´m also tired of realistic videogames. racers, shooters whatever. i like bfbc2 – a lot. but i would probably like it even more if it had a different setting. i don´t need superrealistic games. my real life is awesome. when i play a game i want a world that is different to the real world, a world i can explore to find out how it works, even in a shooter…there aren´t enough games that try to deliver that experience. halo is an example, but i can´t connect to the halo universe…maybe/hopefully reach will change that. i hope brink will turn out to be nice…maybe there will be a competitive mode in rage as well but i doubt it, also bodycount looks promising…lost planet could turn out to be nice as well…so there´s hope

12. Erthazus

BFBC2 is a realistic shooter?

WAT?

PS: If you are interested in these types of shooters go play Crysis 1 on the PC or wait for RAGE.

13. 5ive

DarkElfa said:
    “Its a bad clone of MW2.”

Yep man, nice said !!!