Romero says Darksiders is what Quake should have been

Thursday, 1st April 2010 17:33 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

romero

John Romero has guest-edited in the latest issue of Retro Gamer magazine, and in it he talks about co-founding id Software and how Darksiders was how he imagined Quake would have been.

“Quake was actually the name of a character in John (Carmack’s) D&D campaign, and he was just a super hardcore badass that had this huge hammer that he could throw through buildings,” he reminisced. “We wanted to do a game about him”.

Going on to discuss the pressures the team faced after the release of Doom, he reveals that Quake ended up a lot different than originally planned, and according to Romero, wanting to perfect the game was met with opposition from the rest of the team.

“The technology was constantly changing, so we couldn’t do much with the game design,” he said. “It took a year for that engine to be workable. Carmack was on the fence [about continuing work], and American McGee and Dave Taylor were on the side of, ‘You know what? Let’s just throw Doom weapons in the game and get it done. I can’t do this any more.

“I couldn’t believe it: how could you want to throw the engine away with a shitty game design? I was just fighting everybody’s attitude, but I thought, ‘Okay, I’m done here. This company is fractured.’”

However, he still feels that in the end, Quake was a great game.

“Quake’s a really great game,” added Romero. “I still believe the single-player was just awesome and scary, and, of course, the multiplayer was revolutionary. But it could’ve really been something else.

“It’s funny: when I saw Darksiders, I was like, ‘That’s it, right there. That’s what I wanted Quake to be.’”

Retro Gamer is at newsstands now.

Via NowGamer.

1. Gekidami

If only God of War came out before Quake to influence that to then. :D

2. subversus

heh, so that’s the real reason for break-up

3. Anders

In his words, yeah.

4. ybfelix

…this reveal shattered my world view

5. endgame

this guy is such an idiot sometimes. at one point he dated a girl from Romania. from my country. what he didn’t know is that all romanian girls r gold diggers. none care about love and that sort of things. no wonder our population is growing smaller and smaller. anyway i was wondering how that ended for him. :) does anyone know?

6. ybfelix

You hold quite low opinion of your country’s ladies.

7. one million

IIRC Tom Hall said the same about Doom, how they wanted it to be more sophisticated and RPG-like. Something like System Shock, I guess. Quake is indeed a great game, it’s always the first game I install on every new PC.

8. subversus

I guess it’s Carmack + McGee who always wanted to keep it simple. I don’t know if it’s a bad thing though.

@5 Heh, why do you think he didn’t know the name of the game?

9. DaMan

Quake was only awesome in multiplayer, Doom was their last fun SP game.

10. fdelfino

This guy looks like he really thinks a lot of himself…

11. Hunam

I’d be more inclined to listen to him if he had made a good game in the last 10 years. He is capable of feats of genius, but he just tends to churn out shit for some reason.

12. blackdreamhunk

Carmack is an has been in the real gaming world ! basically Carmack sucks now and go make games for the wii. John Romero knows what he is talking about

13. Stephany Nunneley

@12 I am literally speechless over that comment. Totally fucking speechless.

14. pleasant_cabbage

Tut tut ;)

15. blackdreamhunk

@Stephany Nunneley

sorry I don’t worship people and there is a lot of pc gamers that believe Carmack is running on his old success….he is has been in the gaming that is the truth. Pc gaming has alot of better game devs out there.

frankly Carmack has a thing for the wii so he should just go make games for. real pc gamers want good games not like that quake game that came out.

16. Hunam

BDH, right, now this is important, Carmack doesn’t design games, he never, ever has. He just makes engines and technology. Every Quake and Doom game has looked fantastic when it came out. If the gameplay sucks, that’s really not Carmacks fault. He just codes.

I find it astonishing that you think Romero knows what he’s on about considering that he hasn’t actually finished a game since Daikatina, one of the worst abortions ever made.

17. blackdreamhunk

I am agree with John Romero here with this quote “wanting to perfect the game”. As a game dev you should always want to perfect your game. If your not perfecting your game you producing junk.

there is something wrong with game dev team that does not want to perfect their games.

18. Stephany Nunneley

Cabbage… I want that shirt :D

19. Neolucifer

Stop this is just ridiculous …some of his latest games were the god awful Area 51 , and the last Gauntlet … both vomited by Midway .

Let’s not also forget the stellar : Hyperspace Delivery Boy , Congo Cube , and Red Faction for the Nokia N-Gage.

Think about that before trying to trash Carmack in his defense .
    Even people who dont care would easily admit that Rage looks stunning . He obviously still got the touch .

Meanwhile romero has been a total “has been” for a while , despite his glorious past .

You should also be careful with that quote actually . He has the habit of leaving projects before they actually ends or getting fired from it .. at least this past decade .

20. blackdreamhunk

@Neolucifer

John Carmack is a has been in the real world of pc gaming

his last games are epic flops, why because they are junk!

this link says all about john Carmack games

you know what I am going to say that a rookie cryteck makes better games than Id software with john Carmack at the wheel!

crysis vs last quake

crysis >last quake game

even battlefield 2 bad company is a much better game…..enough said!

21. blackdreamhunk

John Carmack should just retire to the wii…I mean he loves the wii so much. It takes real game devs to make it on the pc market these days.

John Carmack is an older timer and he is losing his touch….consoles is where he belongs like the wii/…..lol ;)

22. Hunam

You don’t even have a clue what your talking about do you?

23. Erthazus

@BDH, you know atleast who is Carmack?

24. Phoenixblight

Does he ever know what the hell he is talking about?

25. Hunam

You make a sterling point. I do enjoy how he says ‘many pc gamers’ when he actually means ‘my personal opinion which I have just formulated right now’. Just tickles me each time I read it.

26. Neolucifer

I knew you didnt know what the hell you are talking about , but you actually had to prove me right .

The last quake wasnt even done by ID software , hence not by Carmack .

His latest released work were Doom 3 and Quake live , and the next engine and game he is working upon is RAge , just FYI.

Personally i dislike Doom 3 , but it obviously was one of the biggest graphic powerhouse , ( no probably the biggest period ) at it’s release and meet huge sales (around 4 million units) and critical success .

As for quakelive , well it’s obviously one of the best web browsing gaming experience .

While very talented , and possibly ID’s successor in the genre , Crytek as yet to release anything living up to ID software’s sales for quite a few titles , and would have even harder times making as big a splash in multiplayer gaming .

But by all mean keep rambling on about a 2010 fps being better than a 2004 one .

I knew you didnt know that much about console gaming , but it seems you dont know pc gaming and pc history neither .

27. Neolucifer

@Erthazus

lol he’s probably mad because of some positive comments he once had about the wii .

like dear lord “he tainted himself with consoles!!”
    Note however his selective memory around crytek , rather eager to come on consoles .

The irony being that every ID games came onto consoles one way or another , since the dark eons of the snes at least .

28. ddt

Actually, American and I wanted Quake to be like Super Mario Brothers, but then monkeys flew out of my butt.

After the great butt monkey exodus, I asked you to gingerly dab my raggedy bleeding bunghole with gauze, which you did (thank you!), and though I was unable to walk for years, it is thanks to you and your gentle dabbings that my anus healed into the smooth, taught, sphincter miracle it is today.

Then I got sick of id and fired everybody, but then they sued me to keep the silly name and their silly jobs, and I was like, you know what? That’s a silly name. They can keep it! So I let ‘em have it. I mean id. That’s so silly. And their silly jobs. So silly!

So I let them be id again, and they were like “cool, dave, thanks man. your anus looks *excellent* btw” and I was like “i know, right? you guys are silly, but you can keep your jobs, because it’s cool.”

It’s good to see you frolicking in the limelight again, John. Like seeing a little kid leaping through a sprinkler. :)