Ubisoft: “Super hardcore” games stopping industry from growing

Tuesday, 30th March 2010 14:15 GMT By Johnny Cullen

splintercellconviction8

Splinter Cell: Conviction creative director Max Beland has said that proper “super hardcore” games will stop bringing growth to the industry.

Speaking with Industry Gamers, he said the challenge was to “balance” both the core and less committed gamers with Conviction.

“I think it’s a subject that is very touchy right now because as an industry we want to grow,” said Beland. “We need to stop making games that are super hardcore. But we’re afraid because we don’t want to lose the hardcore people!

“At the same time, it’s a challenge because the journalists – the people that rank us – are usually hardcore. So it’s a real challenge to find a balance and make your game [appealing to all].”

He further added: “I don’t like the word accessible because it makes it sound like you’re dumbing down your game. But to me, Call of Duty is very accessible. So yes, it is something we want to do – I’d love for 10 million, 60 million people to play the games we make.”

Splinter Cell: Conviction is due to release next week for 360, with an April 29 release for PC.

1. vincentw00t

What games does Max Bellend reckon are ‘super hardcore’?

2. The Hindle

Hes probably stuck on Demon Souls.

3. unacomn

I think I know what he was referring to.
    Asking for your game to work properly and be an improvement over the last instalment(adding more stuff, making old stuff better) doesn’t mean it’s for super hardcore fans only.
    And yes, accessible usually does mean dumbed down. Streamlined or optimized were the words he was looking for.

4. McLovin85

“I’d love for 10 million, 60 million people to play the games we make”

Says the guy releasing his game on one console.
    I would have bought this day one had it been released on PS3, but as i don’t own a 360 i guess i’ll just have to try it out at a mate’s house. Shame really….

5. Razor

Oh man, he must have had it in the neck at school.

6. Harry

I’d love to know what games he thinks are “Super Hardcore”. It’s not often we get games that don’t treat us like a complete idiot anymore.

/still mourning Microprose’s demise

7. DrDamn

I’d say the market is big enough for all sorts of games. Thinking “Super Hardcore” games are stopping growth is a very negative perspective, these sort of games are still required to maintain the current market. Neglect it and you will lose some people.

I don’t want all my games to be “Super Hardcore”, I don’t want them all to be “Accessible”. Give me a variety :)

8. FadeLive

How about some Hardcore? Yeah we like it raw. No but what kind of games is he speaking about? What does he mean by hardcore, its such a loose term when it comes to gaming. Does he mean difficult games? does he mean violent games? indie games? intelligent games? games that don’t hold your hand through the entire game?

9. Redh3lix

Hmmm, what does he mean by super hardcore? I presume he’s referring to MW2 etc? Publishers and devs like FPS titles as generally they sell well (excusing HAZE). :P

10. Vertical Stand

He probably means games aimed at the current gaming audience, rather than seeking a wider one. I think the implication is how we can no longer always expect the highest budgets and longest development cycles when outside of a few big hits the profit margins don’t stack up compared with something like Just Dance.

I reckon we’ll see ‘hardcore’ games development costs begin to plateau if not come down in coming years, which doesn’t have to be a bad thing as it might encourage more risk taking.

11. one million

The word has lost all its weight, we should just stop using it. If arcade FPSes like MW are hardcore, then railroad sims are what?

12. Wakkum

Of course he’s talking about the ‘old’ Rainbow 6, Splinter Cell and Ghost Recon. These are all games which are too slow for most people, need too much planning to survive and consist of quite a lot of trial & error.

Oh how I mourn the demise of Rainbow 6 :( I want my Domingo Chavez to follow my carefully laid out plan to rescue some hostages, not go in guns blazing…. R6, how I miss thee. :(

13. FadeLive

I remember Domingo Chavez that was one badass dude. I always had him in my squad when I played Raven Shield. The rainbow six games used to be so good. :(

14. S0meRand0mN00b

ubi are just dumb

15. FeaturePreacher

Let go of the hardcore and you let go of hardcore loyalty. I guess you could get some casual loyalty if you make a game close enough to Mario that it fools the people who only buy according to the cover.

16. endgame

oh i seriously WAS NOT expecting this ““Super hardcore” games stopping industry from growing” from u Mr. Beland. though after u made sc conviction i can not possibly talk the slightest sh1t about u. so even after saying that i still think u rock dude! cheers!

17. Sini

Fuck the growth of industry. Grandma isn’t going to be picking up NInja Gaiden anytime soon.

18. Dralen

Haha! I laughed at that comment I really did. “Max Bellend” nice one.

19. The_Deleted

You might as well say that making films like The Road is putting people off TransFormers.
    I play games depending on my mood, not wether it’s hardcore or accessible.