Bowling: MW2 online won’t be threatened by other titles

Tuesday, 30th March 2010 11:40 GMT By Johnny Cullen

modernwarfare220

Modern Warfare 2 is top dog as far as online multiplayer goes in shooters, like it or not. And no one is going to come and take over any time soon – including Call of Duty 7.

That’s according to Infinity Ward’s Rob Bowling, who said that neither the next CoD game – being developed by Treyarch – or EA shooters Medal of Honor and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 will achieve supremacy in the near future.

“I certainly don’t see any signs of it,” he said to CVG. “I certainly don’t see any signs of it. We’ve been number one since launch and this map pack (The Stimulus Package) is going to bring even more people to playing MW2 and extend their play time. I don’t see it slipping any time soon.”

Bowling further added: “We’ll just focus on providing for our audience who love our brand of game. Whatever comes out of that is just a bonus to that. But I think they’ll always find what we have going on entertaining if they like it.”

Infinity Ward is releasing the first map pack for Modern Warfare 2 later today with the Stimulus Package. Get the skinny on that here.

To celebrate, Microsoft’s sent us a 250Gb 360 Super Elite MW2 bundle. Get the lowdown on that here.

As for Call of Duty 7, it’s probably going to need a passport and some kind of time machine.

1. killmaster84

I left MW2 with no signs of going back, tried the game last week and still glitchy as all hell. Ya for jtag’d 360s!

2. Robo_1

jtag’d?

3. themadjock

He’s right I don’t like it. Bad Company 2 pwns it in so many ways.

4. Lahanas

Bad Company 2 is so vastly superior its not even funny.

5. SplatteredHouse

Comments such as 4′s ought to be coated in gold, allowed to cool, polished to a sheen, and set upon a plinth, as a reminder to future generations! :) Activision stink!

6. Magicpocket

BC2 is soooooo much better online than MW2. I seriously cant stand MW2 online any more.

7. Droid

That’s the beauty of being impartial, you can see which one really IS better. And BC2 takes the crown for multiplayer, whereas MW2 takes it for single player. This guy obviously has to say his product is the best as he’s gonna be biased working for the company. Let’s just hope they release some extra content like maps, etc for BC2.

8. RomaTotti10

Halo Reach with jetpacks will knock MW2 from the number one spot. I can’t wait. It looks awesome.

9. DUFFKING

I’m glad that BC2 will stay less popular, whilst BC2 has a fairly large retard contingent, I can do without the MW2 en-masse tard extravaganza joining in.

10. Norsefire13

HE’s SAYING THAT WITH KOTICK POINTING A GUN ON HIS HEAD

11. G1GAHURTZ

BC2 might be better, but less people play it because it’s not better.

Good bye.

12. FadeLive

Im gonna go with the good old “well duh” in this situation. Modern Warfare is the most popular shooter brand at the moment of course it won’t be toppled by less popular franchises anytime soon. That however does not mean MW2 is better than those other franchises. Bad Company 2 fer teh win.

13. Droid

@11 It’s not been as overhyped as MW2. Maybe advertising should factor into your logic a bit more.

14. endgame

“Bowling: MW2 online won’t be threatened by other titles” he’s right. except CS no other game will gather such a huge mass of players with such incredible low IQs. so i guess this it the first smart thing that he said in a very long time. gg bowling dude.

as for the guys of bfbc2. i salute u! to every1 else. u guys suck!

15. G1GAHURTZ

@13:

Not really.

CoD4 didn’t get anywhere near as much hype as MW2, but it didn’t have much trouble beating (the hype heavyweight) Halo 3 on the XBL charts alone, did it?

The more people played CoD4, the more word spread and the more people bought it.

BC2 on the other hand, is fading away as we speak…

16. OlderGamer

You sure do get defensive over MW2 G1GA.

Just saying.

As far as I see it, who the hell cares what is yours or anyones elses fav MP FPS? The arguement is about as pointless as Sony vs MS vs Nintendo.

Play what you enjoy.

And G1GA there are a LOT of gamers that are playing BC2 and walking away impressed. It isn’t a right or wrong really, just wondering why you feel so compeled to jump in there swinging?

Other then CoD, your a very rational, level headed, and easy going gamer. People can have, and express their opinions. You, me, and everyone else here.

17. DeSpiritusBellum

@16 If you don’t mind me budding in: I’ve found myself defending MW2 in more than one comment section on here, and it really isn’t about defending a piece of junk from being called junk, simply because I happen to like it.

I’d never call MW2 the pan-ultimate shooter, and I’d gladly switch it for a better one, the problem is that BC2 just can’t carry that, and as such it’s a shame that most people are so affected by equal parts groupthink and MW2s over-exposure that they actually kid themselves that that’s the case.

It’s an internet-phenomenon, and as such it’s useless trying to make people balance their views, but I still like to react when people talk out of their asses.

It’s a buggy, poorly balanced shooter full of misplaced design decisions, that tries to mix CoD with Battlefield, and while that’s actually fun and entertaining, it still can’t compete with a game as honed and polished as MW2. It’s not a coincidence that BC2 gets placed lower in most reviews.

18. G1GAHURTZ

OG, I didn’t jump in anywhere swinging anything.

I’m just pointing out what I believe to be the truth.

Not one exclamation mark in sight… lol!

Besides, if it’s ok for others to comment that they don’t like MW2 and that they love BC2, then it’s ok for me to comment in the opposite way. Do you disagree with that?

19. theevilaires

G1GAHURTZ said: I’m just pointing out what I believe to be the truth.

But that can’t be the truth G1GA because it won’t be the truth for a lot of people who don’t like MW2.

Now the PS3 being a better system than the 360 is the truth ;) you see my point :D

20. G1GAHURTZ

I do indeed, tea!

21. Gekidami

The best way i’ve heard this summed up is:

“MW2 is overrated. BFBC2 is WAY overrated”.

Though i’m bored with both of them, so i think they both suck big hairy monkey balls.