Super rumour – Star Wars: The Old Republic hitting Xbox 360 [Update]

Monday, 29th March 2010 15:57 GMT By Johnny Cullen

theoldrepublica

Update: BioWare’s just stated this on TOR forums:

“Star Wars: The Old Republic is currently being developed for the personal computer (PC) using the Microsoft® Windows® operating system.

While we recognize that there are other operating systems and platforms available for games today, our development is specific to the personal computer using the Windows operating system at this time.”

Original: One we missed from that GAME list last week: a 360 version of The Old Republic.

The BioWare MMO is down on the list for 360 as “TBC-2011″. So far, LucasArts has said it’s aiming for a spring 2011 release on PC.

You’ll remember on Friday we brought you an internal release list from UK retailer GAME, showing its full 360 line-up for 2010.

Oops, we guess.

We’ll get onto EA about this and see if it has any comment, although don’t go expecting much.

1. Massiveslag

Come on guys it isn’t April 1st yet.

2. Erthazus

I don’t see this as the game that they will avoid for a PS3. Same stuff goes to Final Fantasy 14.

Its MMO. Want more money? You need more subscribers and console MMO won’t sell consoles.

3. G1GAHURTZ

4. DJ Deathstar

Come on guys i posted this in the comments section of that news story regarding the GAME list! Could have had this story up alot sooner had anyone read what i wrote! lol ;P

5. loki

Don’t see nothing super this game sucks

6. Blerk

Y….eah. I’ll believe this one when I see it. MMORPGs on consoles appear to be having a fairly difficult birth. I know Microsoft cancelled pretty much all of theirs, whatever happened to DC Universe and The Agency on PS3? All gone very quiet, hasn’t it?

7. Johnny Cullen

For some reason, I can see this happening.

Microsoft would like to have an MMO battle going on with Sony, considering (at least for now, officially) it has Final Fantasy XIV as a console exclusive.

So I can see Microsoft turning a blind eye to BioWare and The Old Republic over Live and giving it a green card, basically.

It’s probably not true, though.

8. Erthazus

@6 its coming. Agency and DC Universe Online is coming + they are from Sony Online Entertainment 1st party.

@7 its actually not a battle and Final Fantasy XIV is not exclusive. Sony need just to announce that Everquest III is in development exclusively for Playstation 3 then Everybody will go ape shit and the winner of course will be ….

9. joshua nash

@8 let me guess the PS3

10. Blerk

Do people still play Everquest? I thought everyone went to WoW.

11. Petulant Radish

@8 is it the Game Gear? I bet it’s the Game Gear.

12. Peetry

If so its a huge boost for MS, personally I don’t play MMO’s very much but my flatmate is salivating at the prospect

13. ruckus

I don’t think so Peetry – it would be Sega :)

14. Erthazus

@10 yeah, even addons are still coming (go look at Steam). Actually, Everquest is the only franchise (i think) that has a potential to be a WOW seller. Old fanbase even still play Everquest 1.

Old fanbase is ve-e-ery big and when Everquest 2 came out people went ape shit about it and it had a grown community. When first addon arrived it smashed the community really hard.

I think Everquest III is in development for a while and maybe they learned all mistakes. If it is true then they have a chance to steal WOW slice of pie.

15. Massiveslag

blarrrhghh

16. Zonejeu

Well, it doesn’t surprise me very much. About a year ago, EA said they would port either Warhammer Online or Star Wars TOR to the Xbox… I guess they chose :p

17. AHA-Lambda

No ps3 even when EA calls the shots on this one surely not MS? Intriguing but to be fair I wouldn’t be surprised if this were true.

18. The Hindle

Will be one of Microsofts big E3 reveals if its true.

19. tezzer1985

It will be on 5 discs if true..or you will need no less then a 120HD, this game is jam packed with content.

20. Genesis

Already disclaimed: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=2692412#edit2692412

21. TheWulf

I’m hardly surprised, really. Who would have bought this story anyway except for people clueless to the nature of the game? The thing is, it’s very RSI-focused, and what I mean by that is that it’s the annoying World of Wacraft MMORPG (the sort I have a strong distaste for), with billions of buttons. There’s no way you could control four bars of buttons and lots of little extras off a pad in an efficient way. Can’t be done.

There’s plenty of news about DC Universe (the PC version, at least), it hasn’t been quiet at all. Though it’s mostly been covered by MMO sites rather than sites like VG247 because that’s where the demographic is, so they get all the exclusive news/interviews.