Rumour – Call of Duty 7 called Black Ops, gets zombie mode and dedicated servers, more

Sunday, 28th March 2010 18:41 GMT By Johnny Cullen

iranian embassy

According to a report from Tek9 (via MapModNews), an Activision insider has reportedly said that the next Call of Duty title will be called “Call of Duty: Black Ops”.

The report states the game, being developed by Treyarch, will take place in various times in history during the Cold War, from World War II to up to present day, with missions in Vietnam, Cuba, South America and even the infamous SAS mission during the Iranian embassy siege in London in April 1980.

It was previously suggested the game would only take place during the Vietnam War, with a release in November, which the report also says. It clashes with a date on an internal release list from retailer GAME, saying it’ll be out in October

The report also claims the zombie mode from World at War will be included, as well as dedicated servers for its online on PC. Previous CoD title Modern Warfare 2 didn’t include the feature.

Take with the biggest pinch of salt you can find, while we email Activision on this. Don’t go expecting much, mind.

1. subversus

WAW was better than MW2.

2. daytripper

call of duty = biggest rip off this generation

3. Hunam

WAW was aces and I like the idea that the game explores black ops throughout the history of war, or at least modernish war. It’s be interesting to see how weapons and tactics for spec op missions changed through out the course of history. Hopefully it’ll be less of a mash of different levels slung together in different timeframes and more intricate, maybe less about endless hordes of baddies and more about precise military action.

4. Gekidami

Wonder if John Mcaleese will be in the game.

5. Moonwalker1982

Zombie mode for the win! Love it!

6. DeSpiritusBellum

Doesn’t sound like the most inspired concept, but then neither was World at War.

I don’t see what kind of gameplay you’d get out of a level based on Operation Nimrod. Once they were in they basically went room to room killing anyone identified as the hostagetakers, and not all of those guys were armed. That’s the nature of the craft, but I don’t see why you’d want to play through it yourself.

The awesome thing would be to make a level based on 1980′s Afghanistan. That’s about the most overlooked war ever, with plenty of evil ruskies. And Rambo.

Or Entebbe. Fuck, Entebbe would rule.

7. Hunam

I think it could be a decent level if they approach it in more of a Rainbow Six kind of way.

8. Erthazus

I bought Modern Warfare 2 and after that i think that i’am a complete idiot.

I will never, ever, ever buy Call of Duty game again until i will see a progress.
    They are milking the same old shitty quake 3 arena engine for YEARS. I’m tired of it.
    I’m tired of Call Of Duty and i’m tired of Activision.

9. S0meRand0mN00b

call of duty fucking 7. 7!!!!!!! wtf now imagine Half-Life 7 Episode 9! huh

10. AHA-Lambda

I have to admit at least it sounds more interesting than just plain ol’ vietnam. But then again…treyarch >_>

11. DeSpiritusBellum

Really though, the Entebbe raid (Op. Thunderbolt) is the most studied, most admired and most iconic special forces operation ever undertaken.

Flying approximately 100 operators into a hostile country undetected, with one half taking over the airport and the other half duping the guards into thinking they’re Idi Amins motorcade, right up until they jump out and start assaulting the terminal building to free the hostages.

4 dead hostages (out of 105) and 1 dead operator. Amazing.

Now imagine that as a Modern Warfare style level. Why that hasn’t been done yet, I really don’t know.

@7 Maybe. I guess they wouldn’t exactly go for realism, and the breaching part on the oil platform in MW2 was pretty damn sweet.

12. Erthazus

@9 Soon, Call Of duty will be bigger then Final Fantasy numbers :D

13. Phoenixblight

ANd whats sad about that its been 20+ years for them to get to XIII. They are already at 7 in half of a decade.

14. blackdreamhunk

I would buy Treyarch cod7 it will be must likely to be better than “cough” “cough” infinity ward cod games lol

15. Erthazus

VG247 ATTENTION! David Jaffe hinted that his new game will have DLC for 100% and he is happy about it :D

16. abbe

“…as well as dedicated servers for its online on PC”
    I lol’d.
    I tried the MP over at a friend aaaaand… we spent 4 minutes in a game lobby while people joined and disconnected like mad all the time. When we FINALLY got in the game, it lagged horribly and everyone left.
    Yeah… Dedicated servers is a good idea.

17. DeSpiritusBellum

@16 Yeah, it definitely fucks up more than usual when you try to join as a group, but have you tried similar games?

I can feel myself growing older trying to login to games like Bad Company 2 (although that’s hardly the only one) and then having to scour the entire internet, looking through servers that often do nothing to define themselves, and which more often than not have lag issues – even in the lower brackets – since people just drop in whether they have a 10mbit connection or a 56k.

If you’re playing as a group there’s also no guarantee that you’ll end up on the same team, and you’ll often have to wait for the spots to open. The MW2 matchmaker will reserve you those spots from the word go.

Comparing those two experiences, I think the MW2 matchmaker is a real breakthrough. There’s no lag, it’s functional (if flawed) and even if it fails three times in a row, it still won’t cost you as much grief as logging in to a similar game. I wish other developers would wise up and standardize that level of service, instead of pandering to caveman gamers who won’t even consider anything new.

Unless you’re in a serious clan and you want to run your own little corner, I really don’t see what you have to gain from a serverjungle.

18. Freek

How can you have a coherent storyline if you jump time periodes so drasticly?
    And if they decide to drop the storyline, how would you prevent the game from feeling like a level pack add on for MW2?

19. Hunam

MW2 didn’t have a coherent storyline and that was based over 5 or so days.

20. Bones

Wait this actually sounds awesome.

21. The Juice707

That name is racist.

22. abbe

DeSpiritusBellum:
    I play BFBC2 quite a lot and I find it extremely good, out of the 100 games I’ve played I think ive gotten on the wrong team two times, sure I dont play with more than one-three buddies but usually we end up on the same team.

As for the sorting and serverlist, the only option I lack is the option to remove Hardcore servers, other than that you can sort with ping, map or gamemode. I would like to specify a search term for “at least x amount of spots open”, but no game that doesn’t have a lobby system doesn’t have that, not that I’ve seen.

I don’t think a lobby system is the fault here, its the lack of dedicated servers, I would LOVE to have a lobby system for those odd-times you try to find a server for x amount of people, but I do not want to sacrifice the dedicated servers for some automatic system that doesn’t follow the same ping-requirements that I have.

Personally, I just want to get into a game, if its the beginning or the end I don’t care, I just want to play when I press the join server button. MW2 didn’t offer me that alternative and the 20 or so minutes I tried it, I switched servers 3 times, changed host two times, became host once, which ended in everyone leaving because my friends connection is crap and I sat in the lobby for one game 4 minutes while the system (or players) felt like kicking everyone or joined and left.
    That is as much service as its a dis-service. I had a bad experience, but one that is extremely rare to happen with dedicated servers.

23. NGCes26294BIV

Was actually looking forward to a decent Vietnam-based game.

This sounds like a very risky idea. I’m not convinced I’ll care about the story at all if it jumps as much time as this suggests.

Quite like the idea of different types of missions throughout different ages though – might help keep things fresh.

Having said that, Treyarch are developing, which means it’ll be average whatever they do with it. Shame.

24. DeSpiritusBellum

@19 Heh, so true. I wonder how many times we’ll be killed in the first person perspective this time.

@22 It sounds like we have pretty different experiences of the game. It seems on every other server I get into in BC2, clans of four or more are having problems joining up. And even though I pick the servers with the lowest lag showing, there’s always some semblance of choppiness there. Which is extremely annoying to me, because I’d like any competitive multiplayer game to rely on skill, not technical glitches.

The genius of the matchmaker is that it essentially localizes all your games, so you always have people in your region playing with you, which drastically minimizes the lag. In BC2 the servers seem to mostly be rented out of the UK or Holland, which isn’t nearly as effecient.

There’s no doubt that if your connection sucks, then you have a serious problem with MW2, and a lot of other online games. If you want to play online for any ammount of time, you should at least have your connection reflect that. A low bandwidth/high bandwidth group would certainly screw up the matchmaker more than anything. I’d reckon that if you can afford a game like MW2 or BC2, you can afford a decent connection.

I am just a puzzled as to why MW2 doesn’t offer you the choice though. There’s no reason why you wouldn’t cater to both groups, although I do think dedicated servers will be a thing of the past, sooner rather than later. Our connections have made them all but obsolete, and you’ll see a lot of future games reflecting that.

Personally I don’t recognize the problems you mention to any degree near what you describe, although the matchmaker is definitely still a work in progress.

25. theevilaires

“The report states the game, being developed by Treyarch”

Will be shit….enough said, go back to making spider-man games Treyarch.