Hydrophobia goes XBLA exclusive

Friday, 26th March 2010 08:48 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Hydrophobia

Dark Energy Digital has announced its survival title Hydrophobia will be an Xbox Live Arcade exclusive when it releases later this year.

The developer also confirmed it will be playable on the show-floor at PAX East this week.

A new trailer for it was also released, which you can get below, thanks to Joystiq.

1. Blerk

Bloody norah, what a diabolical voice-over! :-D

Difficult to generate much excitement about this one given how long it’s been in development, but EG seem to be suggesting that it’s Microsoft themselves publishing so perhaps there’s something in it after all?

2. ShakaCarnage

Length of development has nothing to do with it – it’s about attaining a level of quality.

And it looks outstanding.

3. Eregol

Haven’t they been making a PS3 version side by side with this?
    Only to confirm it’s a 360 exclusive?
    It must eb timed then, I doubt they’d put so much effort into a PS3 version only to scrap it.
    If I recall, at one point it was a PS3 exclusive, then went Multiformat.
    Now it’s completely shifted the other way

4. Syrok

I thought this was going to be a survival/puzzle game. That looks more like a generic shooter. :/

5. Blerk

I dunno about ‘outstanding’, Shaka. It looks sort of interesting, but I wouldn’t go any further than that.

The amount of exclusivity will very much depend on whether it really is being published by Microsoft now, Eregol. If they are publishing it themselves then that’ll be the end of it for PS3.

6. Blerk

Incidentally, there’s a countdown on their web site which is due to expire in about two hours from now.

7. Filofax

It looks average at best, as for quality there’s none showing in that small clip.

8. Gekidami

I’m not holding my breath seeing as its a LIVE game and theres a crazy low size limit for games on there.

9. itsucks

@Gekidami: get a brain. Chime a game that could be done with 80 Mbs and use of MP3 quality sound, uses 800Mbs just for sound quality. PSN has shitty releases, and it has nothing to do with size… crap support, crap games, crap platform.

10. Gheritt White

itsucks: You saw what happened to RGW1982 – why tempt providence?

11. Blerk

Geki, there are Live games that are pushing 2gb in size now. The old size limits are ancient history.

12. daytripper

piss off with the system war shite, getting tired reading this garbage across websites. grown men acting all defensive/aggressive over a console, get a grip eh?

13. Erthazus

The voice, the VOICE.

I turned off this after i listened to this

Most awful voice of the year.

14. ShakaCarnage

You have to remember, in my journalism days, I actually saw the game. I haven’t played it, but it has some really interesting game mechanics, and yes, the water does look that good in motion.

15. Bulk Slash

Crazy man takes an elite group of people to work on grand scientific ideas to save mankind in an underwater base that springs lots of leaks? Where have I heard that premise before…?

The game looks interesting enough for me to overlook the seemingly generic story, hopefully this will be another Shadow Complex in terms of quality.

16. ShakaCarnage

That’s not the story at all. It’s set on ‘Queen of the World’ the largest ship ever created, which is attacked by terrorists.

Anyway, I think it’s great, and I’m sure you’ll be converted.

17. Blerk

Countdown expires in three minutes! :-)

18. Blerk

Well that’s a bit disappointing – it’s just the screenies and the video that we’ve already seen! :-D

The press release does seem to suggest that Microsoft are publishing this themselves, though. So that’s probably the end of the other versions, sadly.

19. daytripper

probably get this, visually its decent for a download title

20. get2sammyb

The voice is pretty ridiculous isn’t it. Disappointed this isn’t coming to PS3 though. Don’t have a 360 so will hold my breath for this.

21. AHA-Lambda

OMG THAT VOICE!!!

not enough to judge the game on but FUCKING HELL THAT VOICE!!!