Ubisoft offers free content to those suffering online DRM outages

Thursday, 25th March 2010 21:41 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

asscreed2a

Ubisoft has decided to offer free game content to PC players of Assassin’s Creed 2 and Silent Hunter 5 after users were unable to play their games due to attacks on the DRM servers.

According to posts over on Ubi’s official message boards, emails have been sent out by the company offering those affected with a free downloadable game from a pre-selected list. Some claim to have been offered extra content for ACII for free.

The DRM servers went down at the beginning of the month.

Ubisoft has said that all PC games from the company will require users to always be online when playing, and explained that it will not hurt your saves should you be disconnected.

Still, understandably, it’s a bit of a thorn in PC gamer’s sides.

Thanks, BigDownload.

1. Erthazus

Lol?

2. Droid

Exactly… lol.

3. YoungZer0

Lol.

4. Kamikaze_Tutor

Aren’t both game and DLC servers the same ones? Can we expect free stuff for the people who can’t download their free stuff?

5. Hunam

Giving stuff away seems to have cost them about as much as they made in the first place from this move :S

Really, what’s the point. It just annoys me and I won’t buy any of their games till it’s gone. That includes console games. Even though I really fucking want Conviction. But I can hold out!

6. Keivz

Heh, I never got an email from them. They must know I wasn’t effected, perhaps cuz I’m in the US. Would’ve been nice to get free stuff.

7. Tomo

Ubi’s idiocy over all this is just dumbfounding.

I’m expecting them to reveal it’s all one massive elaborate April Fools or something.

8. vincentw00t

There’s no pleasing some folks.

9. Bulk Slash

@8 Why would this please anyone? The game’s still infected with that ridiculous DRM. The correct response from Ubisoft would have been to release a patch that removes the DRM and lets people who’ve paid for the game enjoy it without restrictions.