Bungie: Thanks to Reach, Halo movie “not a matter of if, just when”

Thursday, 25th March 2010 01:22 GMT By Nathan Grayson

Halo-Reach-4

On the list of no-brainers that still haven’t happened for some reason, the Halo movie is second only to cars that drive themselves, hover technology sophisticated enough to power hoverboards like those seen in Back to the Future, and, well, a Final Fantasy VII remake.

Done screaming into a pillow yet? Ok, good.

So, what’s the missing piece of the Halo movie puzzle? Well, while he may be a teensy bit biased, Bungie’s Brian Jarrard’s pretty sure it’s Halo: Reach.

“Are there more stories to be told in the Halo universe? Absolutely. Do I think Reach will be the biggest game ever and probably attract an even larger audience to the fan community? Yes, I actually do. I would think that the marketplace for a movie would be more ripe post Reach than it even was after Halo 3, so I’m willing to bet that it’s not a matter of if, just when,” he told Industry Gamers.

“I’m just speculating here since it’s Microsoft’s decision, but looking at how Halo Legends went and the release of that animated feature, definitely there’s demand for it, and I do applaud them for not rushing into it and waiting until they find the right people and the right creative ideas and the right time frame. I think all of us at Bungie would love to see the right movie still get made with the right people; we’re just going to have to wait and see, just like all of our fans!”

Last year, Microsoft officially declared the Halo movie “on hold.” And sure enough, the radio’s gone completely silent ever since.

Which is a shame, really. A world in which Samuel L. Jackson hasn’t stepped into the combat boots of Seargant Johnson is just a giant, rotating disappointment, we think.

1. Haseef

“the right people” … i thought Neil Blomkamp/Peter Jackson were perfect!

why not call ‘em back

2. Gekidami

Maybe this time MS wont ask for such an insanely large budget.

3. Lutz

I didn’t think it was the budget that was the problem, rather that MS had asked for 15m upfront.

4. Blerk

Or possibly that the Halo story is ‘gash’? :-D

Sorry Lutzie. ;-)

5. Bulk Slash

not a matter of if, just how much.

6. Gekidami

It was apparently only 5 million upfront Lutz, but MS also asked for 10% of the movies gross earnings. MS and Peter Jackson were apparently asking that the budget be up’ed from 135 million (which they had already exceeded) to 200 million as well. That was the final straw for Fox and Universal who pulled out.

7. Erthazus

Halo story and characters are generic and not interesting at all.
    Everybody know that Halo is a money making franchise, you can do with it want you want and still going to have a lot of money.

but every director and producer know that they don’t want to step in to Halo universe that is really generic in everything. Holywood just don’t like it and i understand that. As much as you love Halo, its a generic universe. Even anime proved that.

Sci Fi games that really deserve something : Mass Effect or Gears Of War. Even they are generic at best, but clever, logic and interesting.

There will be a Halo movie one day. That day will come when producer will take Microsofts money.

PS: I just don’t understand one thing and it is a complete off topic, but, Sony owns Sony Pictures, Columbia pictures, Tristar and many more. Why they are not doing Killzone or other franchise movies that will kick ass? They have a right to do that. Whats the problem?

8. NGCes26294BIV

@1 Agreed. MS/Bungie had exactly the right people, and they bottled it.

District 9 was made in its place, and was given an Oscar nomination for Best Picture.

Who else are they expecting to get? James Cameron?

9. NGCes26294BIV

@7 Erm…

Avatar = generic sci-fi universe = $2 billion+ at the box office.

10. Erthazus

@9 Avatar is generic at best but very clever and logic universe. It has some interesting ideas for everyone. Guns blazing, romantic stuff and interesting ideas with that race.
    Halo is just more generic then everything else. Dudes in a suit saving earth with generic sci-fi vehicles and weapons, fighting absolutely generic aliens. There is everything generic. Even if you don’t read a real Sci fi books, its still going to be generic at best and Halo is popular in US where people are educated right.

Holywood can make 2 billion on the other franchises without a Halo if they want to.

11. Gheritt White

@7: Killzone has a story? When?

12. Erthazus

@11 i’m saying that it has a good story?
    I’m saying that Sony have an opportunity to make a movie if they want to.

13. NGCes26294BIV

‘Aliens’ is about as generic as you can get, but that series kicked ass. Til the 4th.

14. Gekidami

What? Alien was far from generic for its time and set a new standard in movies. Sames goes for Aliens.

15. NGCes26294BIV

The title is generic.
    Man vs Aliens is generic.
    Good vs Bad is generic.

It was blockbuster stuff, quality blockbuster at that, but the story, characters, setting etc were nothing that hadn’t been seen or written about before in science fiction.

16. Hakkiz

We need moar generic!

17. Gheritt White

For the clearly uninformed: Halo’s story only became generic when Alex Seropian & co left Bungie after the PC/Mac release of Halo: CE. Anybody who was following the game around the time of the Cortana Letters appreciates that the backstory to the Halo universe is not exactly cookie-cutter, even if it does take inspiration from other established sources.

18. The Hindle

“Do I think Reach will be the biggest game ever and probably attract an even larger audience to the fan community?”

What has Jarrod been smoking, the Halo brand has become diluted with the annual spin offs and the lack of Master Chief.

It will sell millions but Halo has lost a lot of its fanbase to Modern Warfare. If Halo 3 couldnt get a Halo movie made and everyone bought that game and bought a 360 for that as well, then Reach certainly wont.

19. Freek

Watch some Halo Legends, there’s plenty of meat to the universe to provide interesting stories. It’s not the most amazing thing ever, but properly done it could be fantastic as the Halo shorts by Blompkamp and the recent ODST short show.

20. theevilaires

@11: you have a PS3? Since when?

A Killzone movie would kick a Halo movies ass any day…want me to explain?

21. Gheritt White

@ 20: Just because I don’t have a PS3 at home, doesn’t mean I don’t have access to one or more PS3s. How else could I have played Heavy Rain and God of War 3 (which I still need to finish)?

Please explain how a KZ movie would be better than a Halo movie – it should make for some light entertainment and also allow me to pass your ideas off as my own if they’re any good.

22. theevilaires

@21: Why can’t you just buy a PS3 and stop freeloading off of everyone else.

And anyone can tell how a Killzone movie would be better than a Halo…..for 1. they already made a Halo movie….its called G.I. JOE :D throw those fuckers in a space ship and you got Star ship troopers….ooooh that Halo movie is starting to feel a little tired now eh.

The Killzone movie would be fucking awesome. So awesome words can’t even describe it. As a matter of fact I’m gonna start a script today and submit it to SONY by the end of the summer :D

Plus they won’t make a Halo movie now because the 360 doesn’t have a Blu-ray drive :D

23. Gheritt White

@22: So, you’ve basically just admitted that you’re unable to say why/how KZ would make for a better movie than Halo. C- for effort.

I’m in no hurry to buy a PS3, given the stack of games I’ve got at home that I’ve not even opened yet. If I’m having trouble fitting gaming into my life as it is, I’m not about to spend more money on something I don’t have time to use at present. As I’ve said before, I’ll get a PS3 when it’s bundled with Move.

24. Blerk

I reckon a Killzone movie would be round about “just as shit” as a Halo movie.

25. Gheritt White

A Halo movie has potential, but they’d do well to ask Alex Seropian and Matt Soell about how they originally intended the story to run. The story in Halo 2 and Halo 3 was so weak as to be almost inconsequential.

Seropian claimed in an interview that Master Chief and the protagonist from Marathon are different incarnations of the same character – a fact that was completely overlooked after they left Bungie.

26. Mauller

Halo Legends was a waste of my money. I didn’t really enjoy it at all. I watched the Bluray on my PS3 which has been mainly used for movies lately.

As for Killzone being a better movie, I don’t see how. The game was just as meh as Halo has become. I will say that I do find the universe of Halo more interesting than Killzone.

I still can’t figure out what’s so great about Killzone 2. It was the first game that I bought for my PS3 because everyone is raving about it. It’s just another shooter with what I felt were odd controls.