BioWare confirms Mass Effect 3 development under way

Thursday, 25th March 2010 11:41 GMT By Johnny Cullen

masseffect215

The news everyone and their dog has been waiting for since January: Mass Effect 3′s development is now under way.

BioWare’s Christina Norman confirmed the news by stating she was working on something for the game called “Project Wombat”.

ME3 Trivia: Today I started work on “Project Wombat” for Mass Effect 3,” she said in a tweet. She hinted it could be some sort of gameplay system for the game, having previously tweeted the ammo system for Mass Effect 2 was called “Project Sasquatch”.

Norman wouldn’t state what Wombat was, though. “Wow a lot of speculation on what Project Wombat is. Sorry I can’t say! I can say the name has nothing to do with the project,” she added in a later tweet.

BioWare boss Ray Muzyka stated at the start of the year that Mass Effect 3 had entered pre-development. But rejoice, it’s now in full swing.

Go fucking nuts: we are.

1. The Hindle

I would literally sell my soul for this game right now.

2. daytripper

its probably having a good guy reaper as a teammate

3. Herlock

I hope a good story this time and not a basic TPS Shooter too…

4. Bulk Slash

Wombat = Space Combat?

Can’t wait for this game, I hope it’s as epic and amazing as ME2.

5. Erthazus

I hope its not like Mass Effect 2… More like RPG game that they killed in ME2.

6. daytripper

The only Space Combat I want is a new StarFox game, done properly like the SNES version this time. Although I admit I would probably get aroused by flying the Normandy.

I’ve asked Ms Norman can we have the Space Hamster as a team mate in 3…eeek.

7. Johnny Cullen

Dear Ray:

Please announce Mass Effect 3. Whatever you did to Mass Effect 2, please keep it that way. Don’t touch what was perfect.

kthxbi.

8. Gheritt White

PLEASE can they change the stupid fucking resources mining mini-game? It’s so dull!

9. Hunam

Considering how fervent of a fanboy I was before Mass Effect 2 came out, I’m certainly not anymore. It was made too steamlined and too gamey. It lost it’s charm so people like JC could enjoy it more :P

10. stretch215

Yeah the resource game was shit, but I loved everything else

11. Bulk Slash

Yeah, screw Mass Effect 2, let’s go back to guns that can’t hit anything you aim at, boxes you can’t open because you didn’t pick the right class and an insane inventory system that almost makes the early Resident Evils look good.

12. Hunam

Those things were fine. Well, I liked having an inventory to be honest. But having combat and exploration entirely divorced from each other, next to no overall story, and formularic missions that don’t really change through the entire game dulled the exprience.