Stardock founder says GFWL lacks “commitment to quality”

Wednesday, 24th March 2010 15:59 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

gamesforwindowslivelogo

Stardock founder Brad Wardell has voiced his opinion of Games for Windows Live, stating that the service has “too many stings attached” for developers.

Speaking with Edge, Wardell said that when it comes to online game services, including Stardock’s own Impluse, Steamworks has the most features available.

“The key mistakes I’ve seen Games for Windows Live make includes having too many strings attached,” he said. “As a developer, I want accounts and Achievements, and seamless multiplayer. But I don’t want to have to go through some third party to get approval for updates and whatnot.

“If I was in charge of Games for Windows Live, I would make it a series of tools and libraries that is a companion to DirectX. I’d eliminate the client and focus on the key tools and services: accounts, Achievements, matchmaking.”

Wardell called the service’s frequent time-outs, patch freezes, and server error messages a “lack of commitment to quality”, and cited Valve’s Steam service as one of the better examples.

“Right now, there are three major platforms for developers and publishers,” said Wardell. “Steam with Steamworks, Impulse with ImpulseReactor and Games for Windows Live.

“Steamworks is, by far, the most mature. It has the most features and services.”

A one time a champion of GFWL, Wardell became disillusioned with the service while Stardock was trying to release Elemental and found that the certification process caused too much grief.

Last year, he told Shack that if GFWL took over, he’d no longer be “making PC games” and “would be done.”

There’s loads more through Edge, and it’s a decent read, so hop to it.

1. Michael O’Connor

Can’t disagree with the truth.

2. NoxNoctisUmbra

I had too many problems with GFWL experience on PC. Somehow they got Xbox Live part right, why they can’t on with PC? And this is MICRO$OFT we are talking about here, they should love the PC and put every effort to make it work.

3. blackdreamhunk

@Michael O’Connor

wow I am impressed…….lol

at the article it’s very true….game for windows is junk. I like the fact steams is heading over to apple.

All apple has to do is allow pc gamers to use their OS for gaming and allow us to upgrade hardware……..microsoft would so be out of the picture.

4. Eregol

Apple would never allow customers to upgrade hardware.
    It would do them out of too much money.

Edge actually did a story on GFWL this month, very interesting it was too.
    It’s amazing how much is wrong with it. They should have copied the steam template.

5. Michael O’Connor

“wow I am impressed…….lol”

Impressed by… what, exactly?

6. Eregol

That he managed to tie his laces this morning?
    That he managed to eat and not choke?
    That he remembered how to breath?

The list goes on and on.

7. Old MacDonald

I’m avoiding everything branded DRM for Windows Live. After BioShock 2 I’m really hoping 2K don’t use the same shitty system for Civ V and/or Mafia 2.

8. DeSpiritusBellum

@7 I hear ya. I wish I hadn’t dished out for the Red Faction: Guerilla sale. Crappy game with invasive Microsoft DRM.

It’s not that Steam isn’t a DRM platform, but they just make it so easy for you, like Wardell says, and that’s the only way to pull it off.

9. Keivz

Interesting to hear the developer side of things. But with all due respect, I’ve had ZERO issues with GFWL as a consumer. The achievements, friendslist, and seamless integration with the 360 controller are all icing on the cake. I wish every game had it to be honest.

10. Michael O’Connor

Still waiting for an answer, BDH.