Atlus starting work on Persona 5

Wednesday, 24th March 2010 10:57 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Persona

Good news if you’re a Persona fan: developer Atlus has said it’s starting work on the series’s fifth title.

“We are preparing to start work on the next Persona,” said Persona 4 producer, Katsura Hasino.

Speaking with Dengeki PlayStation, Hashino said the development team was aiming to have a couple of added changes, alongside “things that are being expected of the series.”

“I also want to change things that can be changed within those boundaries,” he said.

Tokyo Game Show reveal, please. Or sooner, of course.

The last game in the series, Persona 4, released last March in Europe for PS2. It was very good, we must say.

Thanks, Kotaku.

1. Blerk

Persona >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Final Fantasy

2. Johnny Cullen

Persona 4 was a-maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-zing!

Fantastic news.

3. The Hindle

Ps3 please Atlus.

4. killercow

Yes freaking yesssss

5. Galactic_Barret

Persona 4 >>>> FFXIII, hell yeah! (Almost) any other variation on that would be wrong, though.

6. Erthazus

PS3 please. Kthxbye

7. Blerk

PS3 seems most likely. Unless they decide to *shudder* go handheld, in which case I’m thinking PSP.

8. OlderGamer

Yea if not handheld, then PS3. I don’t think this would sell on xb360. I know I wouldn’t be interested, but I am sure others will. Just seems to fit the PS3 crowd more, won’t rule out talk of a xb360 port down the road.

9. Blerk

Or they could make it on the Wii and disappoint just about everybody. :-D

I’d love to see them move their stuff to the downloadable services. I think they’d do much better business in the West if all their stuff was on PSN/XBLA instead of on disc. Of course, this would never happen as the Japanese aren’t nearly as fond of that kind of thing as we are.

10. Erthazus

11. DaMan

any Persona > FF 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 9 and 10.

oh, and 10-2.

also, I bet this one is going to be for DS.

12. Michael O’Connor

Persona 4 was a step back in my opinion. Didn’t come close to Persona 3.

Looking forward to this though.

13. Solid_Snake

I think its going to handheld, and I expect what Blerk said they will dissappoint everyone and release it on the Wii.

14. Hunam

Ouch!

I just fell off my chair! This is the best news ever. Like seriously. I don’t think handheld myself because they had to cut content to get P3 on the PSP and Wii… not sure, but If it was on the Wii I wouldn’t be too upset, would rather PS3 at the end of the day.

15. Hunam

“Actually i don’t think so that Persona can sell better with Playstation exclusivity.

Its just with 130 million PS2 fanbase, Persona 4 sold for 630 000+ copies. Thats not much and Atlus said that: OMG, what awesome sales we got!!11″

Atlus isn’t anywhere near the size of EA or the rest of the big guns and considering that Persona 4 was released in the west when most people had moved onto PS3/360/Wii, over half a million sales is frankly excellent. If an Atlus game sells a million copies it’s basically going to keep the company going for a year, they make great games very cheaply and don’t need to 2 or 3 million sales marks to break even. They probably broke even on P4 with 200,000 sales.

16. Bleak Harvest

HYPE.

So long as it isn’t on the Wii. That’d be horrible =(

17. DaMan

I don’t think P4 did over half a million, iirc it was like 300k in Japan and 150k in the west.

18. Hunam

It sold out in the UK at least and now goes for £45 on ebay!

19. Aimless

Personally I wouldn’t mind seeing it on the PSP. I’m looking forward to playing P3P on the machine as it strikes me as a perfect slice of bedtime gaming.

I wouldn’t object to a PS3 outing, but I’m not sure if the increased budget would really be worth it; even if it gets more resources behind it, comparatively it’ll still look ‘bad’.

20. Hunam

I don’t think that. It’s probably the biggest selling IP atlus has world wide for the Megaten franchise, so it’ll be lest risk for them to make a new engine for the PS3/360 generation if they know a fanbase is waiting for the game, they can then use this engine on all their other PS3/360 projects after. SMT3 was a good looking game when it came out as was DDS. So its a little naïve to think that Atlus can’t make a good looking game when they need to.

21. Demiath

Persona 3-4 weren’t flawless, but they came loaded with more heart, soul and ingenuinity than most JRPGs released in a thousand years or so. Can’t wait for a new Persona, although a PSP remake of Persona 2 (which looks like a fantastic game) would probably make me even more enthusiastic…

22. Blerk

Indeed, their stylised artwork could look fantastic in hi-def even without much of an upgrade to the engine. Given its more cartoony nature it wouldn’t matter if they weren’t doing half of the clever shit that more flush developers can spend time on.

23. Phoenixblight

Yeah I believe it will be on the handheld if Persona 4 didn’t do that well even in their own country, I am surprised they are still making games, would also explain why all their games have been on the Handhelds.

24. Aimless

Inverted commas, take note.

I’m not saying the game would be ugly, I was pointing out that even if it’s a huge step up from the PS2 games it’s never going to offer the technical wow of something like FFXIII or Uncharted 2, so I don’t think it would really appeal to anyone who isn’t already turned on to the series. If you have the same amount of people buying the game but it costs a lot more to make, that kind of breaks their business model. It’s not a question of ability, it’s one of viability.

Still, maybe a HD version could be a breakout success, who knows.

25. Hunam

I’m pretty sure I explained that by Atlus standards Persona 4 did do well. Wait, I did explain it. Right up there.

26. Aimless

Yes, and I pointed out that if a follow up was met with a similar amount of success but cost several times more to make, their business model is no longer viable.

I’m not saying it’s impossible for Atlus to make money on a PS3 game in the series, just questioning whether it’s worth the risk in transitioning right now, especially with the handheld market being so strong in Japan.

27. DaMan

if it wasn’t for their Kazuma Kaneko SMT Nocturne ‘d be god awful graphics wise, their tech has always been poor. great visual arts though actually.

I will be surprised if Atlus makes something of that scale for current gen.

28. Blerk

That’s kind of why I reckoned it’d be a good idea to go download only if they went hi-def – keeps costs down, keeps game sizes manageable, exposes the games to a much wider audience in the West. If it wasn’t for Japan that’d be ideal. :-D

29. Hunam

Game size is the problem though. Persona 3 does take up a lot of the DVD space. Persona 3 PSP has no anime cutscenes and all the social environments are now 2D and the FES campaign is not included. I don’t know if any VA has been cut but Persona 3 and 4 do take a lot of disc space. P3 FES takes up 4.6 gb and P4 takes up 4.4. That’s with SD visuals too and a single language track.

30. Hunam

@26 Aimless

I meant to respond to Pheonixblight and not you, sorry for the mix up.

But I still think P4 would have sold more had it come out when say, SMT3 came out. When the PS2 was still the main focus of software sales. Sure the PS2 install base was giant when P4 was released but software sales across the globe were not. Atlus has found success in publishing Demon’s Souls on the PS3 and that game has made them a lot of money, granted that’s a different kind of game but thanks to Giant Bomb Persona is a bigger name than it was before, lots of people who didn’t own a PS2 watched the endurance run video’s and many people I know have commented that they’d like a Persona for the 360/PS3.

I know that it’s just anecdotal but I really believe the current console cycle is ripe for the picking with a great RPG that isn’t FF and whilst the PSP is massive in Japan, that’s almost where it stops. Atlus are a Japanese company and they do get a lot of sales from the region, but the USA arm does very well too and so I think that Persona 5 could be the game on PS3/360 that really opens up the JRPG on home consoles again… because well, they’re not doing so great.

31. Phoenixblight

@Hunam

That maybe so but the numbers from other comments on Persona 4 aren’t exactly good and that was in the Ps2 era. HD games are lot more expensive to make than they were 10 years ago. Shin Megami games have just been going on the handheld this season and I am afraid it will continue to do so.

32. DaMan

“I still think P4 would have sold more had it come out when say, SMT3 came out.”

I think Nocturne sales were comparable to P4 actually..

pretty sure DDS did similar numbers in the west as well.

33. The Hindle

Speaking of PSP RPGs has anyone played VC 2 yet? OPM uk reviewed it and gave it a 9 so im eagerly anticipating it.

34. DaMan

also, I believe this gen ToV delivered more than both P3 and 4 did, with Lost Odyssey and SO4 being ‘okay’. the latter Atlus titles really weren’t up to the standard set by Nocturne.

35. Hunam

“I think Nocturne sales were comparable to P4 actually..

pretty sure DDS did similar numbers in the west as well.”

My point was that Nocturne and DDS did well enough and they didn’t have the more accessible appeal of Persona 3 and specially 4. Nocturne and DDS were a lot more hardcore then P4 which is a game I think almost anyone can play and enjoy.

36. Hunam

To be honest. As you can probably tell, I just don’t like the PSP. I bought one from Japan just before the US release and aside from Crisis Core, I’ve not really enjoyed it at all. The only reason I own one is because some great RPG’s get released on it, but the console is just horrid to hold and use. I know if Crisis Core was made for the PS2 I would have enjoyed it more, but it’s a compliment to the game not the system that I loved it.

37. DaMan

well, that’s true. but DDS was already highly dumbed down compared to Nocturne, the difficulty was even easier than P3, the game required way less grinding and the story was way more appealing to most people. it was also advertised way better. and it still did the same numbers in the West as it’s predecessor.

38. zero_mask

is it a continuation of persona 3 or 4? if it is, i wanna it to be a continuation for persona 3!!! i wanna minato come back!!

39. Hunam

I’d imagine it’s going to be it’s own thing once again.