3DS: Sony’s 3D “focus” is on PS3, not handhelds

Wednesday, 24th March 2010 07:47 GMT By Patrick Garratt

3dgt

In the wake of Nintendo’s 3DS announcement yesterday, SCEA marketing boss John Koller’s scotched any talk of a 3D update to PSP, saying 3D on PS3 is firmly where Sony’s at.

“Our focus on 3D right now is on the console,” he told IGN. “There’s a tremendous amount of opportunity on PlayStation 3 with 3D. The amount of interest in 3D from the retail side and game publishers is off the charts. We know we have a hit with 3D on PS3 and we’re going to concentrate our efforts there.”

Koller also warned that younger players may have difficulty with the 3D handheld concept.

“I think it remains to be seen where Nintendo goes with 3D on a portable,” he said. “Having been in the portable space for quite awhile, I think it’s an interesting move but one I’d like to see where they go from a demographic standpoint. Eight and nine year-olds playing 3D is a little bit of a stretch given where some of our research is right now.”

Nintendo said yesterday it’s to release 3DS before March 2011. The machine will allow 3D gameplay without the need for special glasses. More information is promised at E3 in June.

1. Hero of Canton

Yep, because only 8 and 9 year olds own DSes, right?

Has to be said, I’m excited about PS3D, though.

2. Dannybuoy

not bothered about a portable 3D system. However I’m stoked about being able to sit affront my biiig TV and really get a decent sense of 3D.

3. Blerk

“The amount of interest in 3D from the retail side and game publishers is off the charts.”

What about the customers, John?

4. dirigiblebill

I really couldn’t give less of a fuck about 3D. Who’s with me?

5. Robo_1

@Blerk

I imagine the customers will be “… and I can use this on my current TV, right?”.

I’ve said this before, but I just don’t think the tech is good enough to go mainstream yet. Wearing glasses is going to be such a barrier to entry for so many people, that this whole system has makeshift transitional device written all over it.

Toshiba are supposed to be quite close to cracking the whole 3D without glasses thing, and coupled with the leap HD TV’s are about to make with OLED technology, I think you’ll be looking at another five years until people will be looking to upgrade their current flat screens.

For those who are still making the leap to HD, then 3D will just be one of those fancy sounding bullet point on the back of the box, and I would imagine that those who have waited this long to get into HD, will be amongst the least interested in being on the bleeding edge tech, and excluding the comfortably rich who can afford to splurge on a new TV every 2 – 3 years, most people who follow this tech will be waiting for the aforementioned OLED and glasses free TV’s to appear.

It’s not a worthless endeavour by any means, but I think the pay off will be in the long term.

6. Blerk

I completely agree, Robo.

It just seems completely bizarre for them to be putting so much time and effort into something that a very, very small minority of consumers can even use.