Conviction creative director: Previous Splinter Cells too hard, made Sam into a “grandmother”

Tuesday, 23rd March 2010 02:58 GMT By Nathan Grayson

splintercelconvictiona5

Executing a perfect drop-down kill followed by a series of neck-snaps nearly loud enough to wake the (newly) dead? Awesome. The 146 attempts it took you to get it just right? Not so much.

Fortunately, if Splinter Cell Conviction creative director Max Beland’s reassuring words are anything to go by, Sam Fisher’s days of plodding trial-and-error are long gone.

“What was coming up all the time was, ‘Man, that game’s hard. I played the first map and I stopped. It was too difficult.’ So we had a clear player fantasy that we wanted to continue to deliver, but it was clear that we weren’t delivering it properly or well enough since people were not sticking to it,” he told Industry Gamers.

“They were not finishing the games we were making and the sales were stagnating. If you look at the sales of Splinter Cell 1 versus Splinter Cell 4, they go a little bit down. So, our fantasy was good but we needed to approach it differently. What we decided to do was change how we thought about the stealth genre in general.”

So, after having a quick four year think on it, the team’s finally ready to show off the fruits of its labors. Beland explained:

“We’re going to make stealth something you want to use. We want you to be a predator, not a grandmother. Being a grandmother before kind of forced you to be stealth. You need to hide in the shadows because if you’re seen, they shoot you and you’re dead. But what if we make the shadows something that’s interesting and makes you powerful and you use as a tactical tool against your enemies? So that’s how we’re able to approach our franchise differently while staying true to the values.”

More through the link.

1. JasperLoons

“But what if we make the shadows something that’s interesting and makes you powerful and you use as a tactical tool against your enemies?”

i.e. What if we make you Batman?

2. NoxNoctisUmbra

my brother play the demo, he likes the game, i like it just by looking at it.. but its very easy.. he even play on the hardest difficulity, only died once.. so I hope they kinda bump the AI level in Hard difficulaty

3. NiceFellow

Ah rubbish. What’s up with challenge? Also, SC was never that hard if you didn’t act stupidly, like try and play it like CoD for example.

More dumbing down so far as I’m concerned. Wonderful.

4. mojo

lo. the game just died for me with this.
    stupid dipshits.

5. Bulk Slash

I never thought the SC games were that hard either. You needed to be disciplined and stay in the shadows and not rush out guns blazing all the time. Maybe that’s why so many people had problems?

I do agree that in the older games Sam Fisher turns into a bit of a grandmother when he gets into a firefight. His aim is so unsteady that he can’t even hit enemies right in front of him from near point blank range! Obviously he was deliberately under-powered to ensure players didn’t play the game like Gears of War, but it did shatter the illusion that he was a bad-ass.

6. abbe

I feel that the stealth and gameplay in SC:Conviction is similar to the stealth in Batman: Arkham Asylum, which took some time for me to get used too (mainly because you really can be super-aggressive without drawing attention), but once I got used to it I really enjoyed it. Not having to waste time by creeping slowly around will be nice but that said, I kind of enjoy doing that.

Too bad there was no Demo for PC. Will just have to buy it to play it.