Wada: Square Enix to “explore” an FFVII remake

Monday, 22nd March 2010 21:30 GMT By Patrick Garratt

cloud

Hold the phone. Have a press? Shut it down. Got a front page? Hold the shit out of it. Square Enix CEO Yoichi Wada has said, has actually said in real words, that the company is to “explore” the possibility of remaking Final Fantasy VII.

“Right now we don’t have a clear direction, but many fans have requested we remake Final Fantasy VII,” the exec told Siliconera at the Final Fantasy XIII launch party recently.

“We’re going to explore the possibility – whether or not we’re going to do it, if we’re going to do it, and the platform.”

Talk of an FFVII remake has been pretty much on a joke level up to this point, with FFXIII’s top dev brass dropping “what if” teases on the matter for literally years.

Most recently, director Motomu Toriyama said it would be the game he would most like to remake.

Producer Yoshinori Kitase said in February that he’d be “really interested” in the project.

Which is fine, but Wada’s the top man. Go nuts, Square people.

1. Razor

Oh, it’s happening.

2. Dr.Ghettoblaster

enough with this shit already. seriously. enough.

it’s on, it’s off, it’s possibly on, it’s for sure off, it’s still on, it’s deffinitley off, it’s possible, it’s not possible, it’s happening, it’s not happening…..give me a fucking break already.

3. joshua nash

well guess Square-enix really enjoys mentally messing with their fans

4. dirigiblebill

Prick-teasing at its finest.

5. Retroid

noshitsherlock.jpg

6. Aimless

I’d rather have a remake of VIII. For one thing I preferred it, but more importantly it has greater room for improvement; the battle system was pretty flawed and the story, while actually really interesting, was often handled incredibly clumsily.

Anyway, I wouldn’t be too surprised to see a remake of VII hit the PSP rather than the HD consoles. Or possibly Sony’s next handheld if that really is to be revealed this year.

7. onlineatron

Why would anyone want it to happen?

Most people know the story by know, the gameplay is dated and would need drastic overhauls to bring in line with today’s standards… It would be a monumental undertaking, a lot more so than just a new coat of pain.

I’d rather Square focus on their other titles such as VersusXiii

8. The1stMJC

The game everyone wants remade, but when it is they will bitch that it is ruined.

9. Hunam

Did FF7 sell more copies on PS3 PSN than FFXIII then? :P

10. Erthazus

If Final Fantasy 7 remake will come to Xbox platform or other platform. Fans of the series and all over the world will go apeshit. Not just apeshit. First they will shit pants, then they are going to eat it and start jumping like a freakin’ dinosaurs.

Xbox fans:
    TAKE THAT, GAYSTATION THREE! FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUU!!!1111 PEACHES! WE WON! WE WON! WE FUCKING WON! *feeling like a gawd* We RAPED GAYSTATION OWNERS!!! HA HA HA!!!!!!!

Playstation fans: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Square Enix FAIL. Square enix have squirrel aids and its adopted. Final Fantasy 7 will be shit because of multiplatform and and and… Square Enix betrayed me!!111 Betrayed my PRAYSTATION 3. XBOTS are stupid whiny little cocksuckers that play Gaylo and port will be much worse!

Oh man, i can feel the Rage all over the internet or my university.

PS: but seriously, i don’t want that future. I believe that multiplatform really hurts the franchise and i always played with my playstation and finished FF 7 on my playstation 1 and i hope that Sony will put money on this and Square Enix will do the job (better job then with FFXIII). Its just Playstation was my childhood and as a fan i want FF7 only on that platform. I’m not trying to be selfish or fanboyish. Its just a feel. I think with good marketing both Sony and Square can do the job.

11. Talyis

All I got to say is it better not come to a Microsoft platform we have all seen how FF13 turned out, come on Square be true to your fans make it PS3 or PS4 exclusive! I don’t wanna be half way through a game and get the RROD or whatever the next system they make will get! But for some weird reason I have a feeling MS will get it exclusive, IDK I just have a feeling it will happen like that I mean why would Square stop disapointing fans now! Although I thought Sony had rights to a couple of the FF games including FF7 for being the publishers! I could be wrong but I thought publishers get curtain right to titles they publish!

12. Phoenixblight

Nope. In two weeks FFXIII has sold 1 million units thats just two weeks where FFVII was only downloaded 100,000 in the US after a few weeks. Then they are bought at two different price points.

13. Aimless

So the fans demand the series stay true to its roots? FFVII remake for the NES confirmed!

Also, I want curtain rights for my satin lair.

14. Erthazus

@11 Relax. Microsoft can’t make it exclusive because Square Enix have relationships with Sony. If it will have exclusive for Xbox for example. Sony will just drop Square Enix from worldwide and especially Japan.

Fans will be dissapointed, Company will loose big slice of money, Company will loose Japanese big slice.

+ Final fantasy VII sold 9.40 millon on playstation 1. I mean exclusive for Microsoft, REALLY? I mean, REALLY?
    Its more like 90% exclusive for the Playstation platform and 10% multiplatform and i just think that Sony own some percents of Final Fantasy VII franchise. SCE is not that stupid. They know that Final Fantasy VII is just a pure gold for them and for company.

Final Fantasy VII is like a face of playstation.

15. Talyis

@Erthazus
    My point was only meant as my luck on something like that would happen, MS paying off for exclusivity. Yes FF7 is the face of Playstation that’s why at the end I mention Sony was FF7 publisher so shouldn’t Sony have the rights on where it’s released. I’m sure it will be a PS3 exclusive just saying that SE hasn’t been supporting Playstation much at all this generation so you never know what could happen!
    I mean look at FF11 port, Infinite Undiscovery, The Last Remnant and Supreme Commander, plus a couple XBL games!

16. yacaman

Final Fantasy 7 I will pay and pre order now. Even if I have to wait 5 years. i will wait.
    Even if its on the PS4 I will wait.
    I will buy that game Final Fantasy 7.

Pre-Order NOW. Give me the option I will give you the money. Common!!!!!!!!!!

17. Galactic_Barret

I’m sorry, peeps, but MS has the money and SE wants it. True, XIII would be relatively easy to acquire compared to VII, but don’t be surprised if its ever announced that it might be MP.

That will be a sad day, indeed. So much potential, squandered.

18. DJ Deathstar

Don’t do it!!!! It’ll ruin the charm of those little square characters with their awesome square hands etc!

19. Phoenixblight

They will probably will remake it to a PS2 level of graphics and sell it on both PSN or XBLA. THis would make it so they don’t waste all their money developing it and they don’t have to waste their money manafacturing.

20. Talyis

@Pheonixblight
    It’s not wasting when there gonna make way more than enough back! Besides I’m sure they have actually been working on it for a while now they most likely started at the tech demo, Just saying they could be working on it little by little while working on the other projects as well!

21. Sini

I doubt m$ will be paying for exclusivity, or even sweetening the pot for multiplatform release. First, they don’t really need to since it would double the revenue so Square will be hard pressed not to, and second casuals don’t give two shits about FF7. Natal is where it’s at for them now and beyond.

22. Phoenixblight

You are saying Square has been developing FF7 for the new gen for 5 years….yeah…No and then been wishy washey about the project even happening. Thats just wishful thinking there.

23. Talyis

@Pheonixblight
    Yeah because every developer always announce games before there ready too. I’m not saying the team team has been working on it but I do think they have a couple of them working on it as a side project all this time, like they said before, they would make it if it took them year and now there talking about making it, well that will take way more than a year, look how long FF13 took and it’s that linear, FF7 will be much bigger So I think if they truly are gonna make it then they have been working on it for quite awhile I said E3 tech demo because they obviously already put character work into it so why not continue from there behind the scenes and keep telling everyone that it’s not coming so they don’t get bored of the wait! it’s stupid to announce a game 5 or 6 year ahead of time!

24. Phoenixblight

I honestly don’t think so because the guy who was in charge of demo was the same guy who was the director of FFXIII and Tetsuya Nomura has been in charge of versus and the KH series. Then Kitase who has been in charge of producing FFXIII.

If they were making it they wouldn’t be so shady about the project. They are just looking into it to see if its worth its time and money and if they can make it to the same level as the original.

25. Demiath

I think Wada needs to spend a lot of time “exploring” whether people want a FF7 remake or not because, y’know, given the complete lack of discussion of this topic up until he brought it up we really don’t know anything about the general opinion of the game among players.

[/sarcasm]

26. Galactic_Barret

Sorry, Taylis, but if the game was in production, someone would know. The restlessness/loss of interest from waiting arguement hasn’t applied to any FF yet, and you can bet your last dollar that, if announced today, 1M+ people will wait 5, 6, 7 years to play it.

Already been 13 years since its release, whats a few more years, right?

27. Blerk

I still think if they eventually do this it’ll end up being on the DS. Or the DS2.

28. Gekidami

3DS, you fool! :P

29. zoopdeloop

That’s right. It may not even be on a PlayStation platform, assuming it ever happens. That sound is the sound of the internet weeping, the sound of a trillion digital tears soaking a million shattered forums.”

I don’t think they’re going to explore if it’s on ps3,360 or both.I think he means ps3 or Psp…and since as they stated making this game in HD is difficult and needs a lot of work and time,i believe it would be remade on Psp…it will still please the fans and make a lot of money for them.

Low odds FFVII on another platform,since Sony have some rights over the title and the game itself.Come to think of it SE surely wanted FFVII on both PSN and XBLA but something definitely holds them back…as a result releasing it only on PSN.

30. Blerk

They only released it on PSN because it’s a Playstation game and runs on the PS3/PSP’s backwards compatibility emulation layer. Unless they were going to write a Playstation emulator for the Xbox (never going to happen) then they’d have had to completely rewrite it to release it on XBLA (also pretty unlikely to ever happen).

Sony don’t hold any ‘rights’ about FFVII, anyway. They published the original in the West but that’s just a distribution contract – no doubt they had to pen a new one for the re-release as well.

A PSP port would probably be easier to do but unlikely, I think, given how poorly PSP software does outside of Japan. A hi-def remake would take a long time and a lot of effort – if they did that then almost certainly it’d appear on both PS3 and 360, but I don’t think they’d ever do it.

For my money it’ll either be a (3)DS game or a Wii game. That makes the most sense for Squenix, if not for the no-doubt-wailing-and-screaming internets. :-)

31. OlderGamer

Maybe they should explore the idea of exploring in a FF game. I got tired of the follow the tight path in the last one.

32. zoopdeloop

I guess you’re right at some point.But aside from the production there are some names from Sony staff in the development of the game as well if you do a thorough search you’ll be able to spot them(they helped with the development and some tools for the Psone) ;)

Aside from that i really doubt if they ever remake it in HD that it would be also in any other console besides Ps3 and that’s because of format limitations.FFVII in HD would be much more massive in terms of space than FFXIII.

FFXIII is already “limited” in a way,that can’t happen with FFVII, they can’t release it on much more multiple Dvd’s and SE already showed with FFXIII that they don’t want many multiple discs(thus they wanted the 3dvd limit for the 360 from the beggining)

Given their own statements with difficulty making it HD my bet goes for Psp.Surely Psp and it’s software isn’t so “hot” outside of Japan but taking account how well VII:crisis core sold in Japan and West a VII remake will sell a million times more…plus SE’s cost for development would be much less and surely less time consuming for them

33. Blerk

That sounds more like wishful thinking than anything else, zoop. If there’s money to be made, they’ll make it – especially on something as cash-intensive as an HD remake of one of the most famous games ever made. The release of XIII has shown quite readily that although the Japanese don’t care for a 360 version, the rest of the world quite obviously does, and indeed initial sales in the West are higher than ever before purely because of that.

The only way I can imagine an HD remake of FFVII ever not making it to both platforms is if one of the manufacturers bunged Squenix a huge wad of cash. Which would have been conceivable in the past, but these days… not so much so.

34. Mauller

Just release it or don’t. Either way shut up about it already. So tired of this, we are, no we’re not nonsense. I’ll never understand the obsession with this game. I played it, it was fine. I tried to go back and play it, yeah, no. It hasn’t aged well at all and the story or characters just couldn’t hold my attention. Probably why I found Advent Children annoying also.

35. theevilaires

Doesn’t need to be remade. We all know how the damn thing ends so whats the point. Spend millions so a couple of fanboys can jerk off to a better graphical version of Tifa.

If you are going to remake any FF then do 1 and 2 with new gen graphics and redo the story to stand up to todays standards. I swear these fucking game companies are stupid.

36. zoopdeloop

Off course the rest of the world does care for FFXIII on the 360.Although not as much as SE though they would care.

Taking account the much larger userbase on 360…the game isn’t selling like “hotcakes”…it has average sales(considering the userbase) while on the other hand it sells much more on the ps3 with a ratio 2:1 until now(excluding Japan) and even if it wasn’t multiplatform the total sales would be pretty much at the same level with a small difference in losses.

SE went multiplatform solely for the reason that the 360 was the trend back then and Ps3 wasn’t doing so good.But now things are different.Ps3 catches up and both are kind on the same track.

With a lot of negativity towards FFXIII which has a little of something to do with the limit they had with formats i’m sure SE will reconsider how would they go with the future installments of FF’s
    I would say they better drop the FF franchise this gen if they want to have it multiplatform and “revive” it in the next generation of platforms where i suppose there will be less space limitation.

37. theevilaires

Who cares what console its on. The whole series needs a real reboot….scratch that the whole genre needs a new make over instead of these next gen face lifts.

I really hope Verses XIII will be something special and take full potential of the PS3 similar to GOW3 or UC2.

38. Blerk

Good grief, I’m agreeing with TEA. :shock:

Bugger the rehash, total FF reboot required, stat!