Rumour – EA to sue South Park creators over Tiger Woods PGA Tour parody [Update]

Monday, 22nd March 2010 12:48 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Tiger South Park

Update: EA’s told Joystiq it’s a load of bollocks.

Original: Have a laugh and a giggle over the South Park episode that parodied Tiger Woods PGA Tour ’11? If one site’s to be believed, EA didn’t.

According to a rumour from Daily Informer, EA Sports is to sue the creators of the show, Matt Stone and Trey Parker, over infringement of several copyrights.

The firm’s top brass – including president Peter Moore – was apparently called to a meeting to discuss what the next move would be over the episode, which had 3.8 million viewers when it aired last week in the US.

The episode shows the apparent bust-up that took place on Thanksgiving night between Woods and his wife Elin, which later turns out to be a mini-game Kenny and Cartman are playing in PGA Tour ’11.

Find more through the link, with a clip showing said mini-game below.

1. Bulk Slash

EA are just pissed that South Park designed a Tiger Woods golf game people would actually want to play.

2. Sini

I tried watching this, turned it off after 10 minutes. What kind of an idiot enjoys this show.

3. Hunam

Pretty sure they’ll be protected by amendment that allows this sort of thing for use of parody.

4. Harry

Humam beat me to it, EA sports don’t have a hope. This kind of thing is allowed for parody.

Which makes me think the rumour is untrue, because anyone with half a brain at EA would know this already.

5. Johnny Cullen

“Oh my God, we’re being sued by EA!”
    “YOU BASTARDS!”

Sini – Apparently, a lot of people do, myself included.

6. Yoshi

LMAO thats fucking awesome, ohhh i do love Southpark XD

7. theevilaires

that was funny! I have to watch the whole episode now :D

8. OlderGamer

I am getting too old for this stuff.

To be honest, I liked the parts with the kids playing the game in the store. I enjoyed the jokes at EAs expense. What I didn’t enjoy was the opening scene between Tiger and his wife.

Despite what happened, Tiger is still well liked and popular.

9. theevilaires

Yea the domestic abuse part wasn’t funny. especially when a chick has a golf club and wants to use your balls to score a hole in one but Cartman is the man….I mean kid.

10. Mauller

@Sini A different kind of idiot than yourself. Perhaps you shouldn’t label a group of people for enjoying a TV show.

11. DJ Deathstar

Yeah EA aren’t gonna win this case, this sort of thing happens all the time such as the Family Guy episode, When you wish upon a Weinstein

12. Johnny Cullen

Oh God, that Family Guy ep was infamous. :D

13. razedinwhite

As people have said, they’ll be protected by certain laws, so there’s no way EA would even be considering this lawsuit I wouldn’t think.

14. Hunam

Family Guy gets sued all the time and always wins. I don’t know why people bother tbh.

15. YoungZer0

God this was so unfunny. Why even bother suing this piece of shit series?

16. DeSpiritusBellum

Nobody gets forced to watch it. Personally I’m glad there are shows out there who don’t give a damn, and I thought the whole thing was pretty funny.

Just like the lawsuit. EA should know they do nothing except boost ratings.

17. JeRicHoOL

Why can’t EA show some humor and just laugh about it…

18. SplatteredHouse

Gun-jumpers ahoy! – no lawsuits for you, today.

19. Patrick Garratt

I’ve updated it.

20. Icebox

Of course this wasn’t true, did you not stop to think before writing a news article about this? The one source was from a crappy, poorly-written blog that nobody’s heard of, who cited a ‘source close to EA’. Excellent journalism there.