PlayStation Move demoed on Engadget Show, gives us Minority Report vibes

Monday, 22nd March 2010 09:55 GMT By Johnny Cullen

move6

Hit the break for a video of PlayStation Move being demoed live on The Engadget Show over the weekend.

The whole thing’s available on YouTube now, but mostly without sound. However, this video shows Anton Mikhailov of SCEA showing off a Minority Report-like demo for the motion controller.

Creepy, but cool and impressive. Go check it out below.

Move was announced at GDC two weeks ago. It’s due out in fall.

1. Patrick Garratt

I’m sorry, but that’s fucking awesome.

2. Johnny Cullen

I freaked when I seen that.

Amazing stuff.

3. Joe Anderson (wotta)

It’s so amazing, that program was written the night before :D Imagine what they can do with more time.

4. onlineatron

As said in the video… these guys need to be writing the games, they know the tech and they obviously know what applications will ‘wow’ people.

Every time I see them present Move tech demos (whether it be at E3, here or GDC) I burst with excitement… only to be bought down to earth by the crap Sony want to put out on the controller.

5. PolyGoneWithTheWind

That is pretty incredible – in only one night they have opened up a whole new way of playing many types of games.

The whole referencing fo the flashlight did keep making me think about what Alan Wake could be like if it wasn’t an Xbox exclusive.

Can’t wait to see what it’s like when it’s finished…

6. Talyis

WOW I honestly thought I would never get into motion controls, they just proved me wrong!

7. Erthazus

They need to show software with this type of demo. Its pure gold.
    I’m buying PS Move for 100% E3 should blow my mind i hope.

8. Johnny Cullen

I’m still cautiously treading my feet in it, but that said, it’s gained a big interest spike in my book.

It really was that good, a lot better than the GDC showing.

9. NGCes26294BIV

Erm… Maybe I missed something here, but isn’t Natal capable of a lot of this without the need for two additional controllers, and with the benefit of voice and gesture recognition, skeletal modelling and the ability to simultaneously track four separate users?

It’s a fun demo, but nothing that hasn’t been shown at a hundred different tech events over the last 5 years (just search ‘Minority Report user interface’ on YouTube).

I suspect if Nintendo developed a WiiCam, they’d be able to achieve similar results.

10. pleasant_cabbage

Yeah. I’m missing out on the wow here too. So games? eh?

11. OlderGamer

Saying much of anything that doesn’t glow is going to draw critiisims of bieng a xbot, but … color me unimpressed.

I saw him double reach several times. Meaning he went to grab boxes, and it didn’t click/grab right away. Reminds me of the wii in that respect. Well the Wii with a cam.

All boils down to games games games. And price point.

Sometimes people on this site goes bat shit over all things PS3. Ask yourself, would you still be blown away if this was a xb360 demo? If the Wii added a cam?

Based on what I have seen, I will still stay gaurded(w/Natal too). Nothing I have seen yet hits anywhere close to my amazing, must own meter.

12. sennasnit

@9, maybe so but the response time for Natal is crap.

13. pleasant_cabbage

Says you :D
    Didn’t the dood doing the demo say something about how this would ‘feel laggier’ if it was in a game?

14. NGCes26294BIV

Natal’s specs haven’t been finalised yet, so the response time is completely unknown. Thanks for jumping right in there though. I do love me some predetermined opinions.

15. DrDamn

It’s very interesting stuff – though as others have commented, it’s not a game it’s an idea. I like the fact that Sony puts this sort of stuff out there though. I think it does a good job of hinting and ideas which distinguish the controller – it really needs to be seen in a real game where the function is useful rather than simply interesting though.

Natal could do something similar, though control like bending of the pictures they demoed would be a little trickier I would guess. Creation and placement would probably feel more natural though.

16. cookiejar

Do want.

17. Droid

The end part makes me think of Bumptop for the pc. Pretty, but quite pointless.

18. G1GAHURTZ

Wow. That looks pretty amazing.

19. theevilaires

wait a sec, look at the black guy at the 4min 50sec mark….he’s clearly a XBOT :D

20. onlineatron

I don’t want to fan flames but I really wish people would stop trying to douse people’s excitement.

At the end of the day, despite this stuff seemingly being confined to tech demos, it’s been shown. We’ve seen literately nothing of what Natal supposedly can do… We’ve seen a lot of what Move can do.

And if industry rumblings are to be believed: http://boards.ign.com/xbox_360_general_board/b8266/190161988/p1
    What Natal is ‘supposed’ to be able to do may not materialise

21. OlderGamer

@20 just to clearify…I don’t like either Move or Natal. I have a Wii, and play nothing on it that uses waggle. My wife is another matter.

Just don’t assume that it all boils down to a Move vs Natal. Its not one or the other. I don’t want either…unless one just blows me away…and neither one has.

22. theevilaires

O.G. stop being a hater and be a player ;)

23. OlderGamer

Can’t hate or play what isn’t there Tea. Right now all we have seen is tech demos from either Move or Natal. I am just staying cautious. I will hang on to my cash till I see an overwhelming reason to to jump on board.

24. pleasant_cabbage

I don’t see anyone peeing on people’s chips in here in an attempt to douse enthusiasm. Just comments saying there was no hint at all about games in this WOW demo. For a games machine that has to be the point. Not a fancy GUI that moves windows on the screen.

Lovely irony to your post btw. ;)

25. theevilaires

I agree with you 100% O.G. They are just tech demos and the average gamer should not be jumping up and down until they see something solid

but I’m a geek and I love tech demos. It’s not all about the tech demos to me though, its the possibilities of what they can do with this stuff in future games.

Example 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LIdPOZGoDE

Example 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOtPVof2K94

But I understand your point also. Its good you are smart enough to not be influence by hype and E3 will be the real test for Sony to show what MOVE has to offer before launch.

26. OlderGamer

E3 should be exciting. I am looking forward to it too.

27. Dannybuoy

incredible. can’t wait to see some real world examples of what they can do with Move beyond the GDC previews.

28. The Hindle

What were they doing with Kevin Butlers face that was just plain wrong, anyone but Butler hes a legend !!!