Tretton: Buy a PS2 and an EyeToy before trying Natal

Saturday, 20th March 2010 18:40 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

pseye

Sony’s Jack Tretton has said that the company “invented” controls similar to Natal “eight years ago.”

Speaking with GTTV, SCEA’s bossman said that if you want to try it out first, just buy a PS2 and an EyeToy.

“We’ve kind-of been looking for the right opportunity to bring motion gaming in a PlayStation like experience. We really feel that with Move, and the combination of the PlayStation Eye and our Move controller that we’ve got the opportunity to bring realistic gaming with motion to consumers for the first time.”

“I think it’s a big idea, and if you really want to get involved in playing with a camera I suggest you go out and buy a $99 PlayStation 2 and play some of the great technology we invented eight years ago.

“I think, that ultimately this is next-generation motion gaming.”

Later, in the same GTTV interview, Tretton said that he could “promise a Killzone 3″, but would not elaborate on whether it would be shown at E3 or not.

Hit the links for more.

1. Hunam

Oh Tretton. He used to be a nice, humble guy but now he’s on the fucking child game with the rest of them. Shame on you Tretton for dropping down in the mud with the rest of the children.

2. onlineatron

‘Motion gaming in a Playstation like experience’

Now i’m not knocking the controller itself but none of the software shown so far is remotely what i’d expect from a ‘Playstation like experience’.

I see no innovation yet, just a controller that (apparently) works pretty well and some all right software.

3. Alakratt

Don’t you just love it when people judge games when they’re not even finished yet? The gift of seeing the future is spreading like a disease.

4. polygem

move is motion gaming in a nintendo like experience…pfff

5. Retroid

Oh dear.

6. Monk

oh my!

7. Razor

He was saying it with a huge smile on his face for God sake, so it’s not like he was being a dick.

Too bad internet headlines take no account of tone.

8. Joe Anderson (wotta)

Hehe quality Tretton really is the man, he’s only having a laugh.

Here’s for a Kevin Butler & Jack Tretton double act at E3.

9. Johnny Cullen

Don’t get me wrong, I love Kevin Butler.

But I get the feeling if was to MC the Sony conference at E3, it would end up like 2006.

Bit part at the most. Probably sat the start. Or least popping up in videos every now and then during the conference.

10. The Hindle

Cullen youre a genius, that has become the thing i most want to see at E3 now. Butler Mcing at E3 = better then any megaton game.

11. Razor

I’m with you JC.

Maybe Kevin (or let’s give him his real name, Jerry) introduces Tretton at the start…but leave it at that. Sony have only just started to get over the 2006 memes. They don’t want new ones starting.

12. Johnny Cullen

Besides, he has a little fetish for Jackie, remember? ;)

13. castlestar

Also buy a wii before you buy a ps3 and the ps3 move.

14. Michael O’Connor

“Also buy a wii before you buy a ps3 and the ps3 move.”

Or just buy them all and enjoy them equally for the unique and fun gaming experiences that they are.

15. Phoenixblight

16. Michael O’Connor

“You’re too funny. Buy a Wii. PS3 has more stellar games than the amount of Wii shovelware.”

So what if there’s shovelware? There’s still plenty of absolutely stellar games in amongst all the tripe.

17. Phoenixblight

Zelda, Madworld, Mario Galaxy…Yep thats it.

18. Gekidami

Theres more then that, but honnestly not that much more.

19. Michael O’Connor

Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros’ Treasure
    Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King
    Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Darklord
    Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars
    Dead Space Extraction
    Warioware: Smooth Moves
    Nearly every TellTale Games game, with point-and-click interfaces that fit these kind of games perfectly
    A Boy and His Blob
    Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
    Toki Tori
    World of Goo
    Punch Out
    Madworld
    Okami

I think my point has been sufficiently proven.

20. Erthazus

@19 most of the games are on PS2, PC and others just mediocre at best.

21. Michael O’Connor

@ 21 Ummm… no. The *vast* majority of those 1) are Wii exclusive games, and 2) have an average meta-critic rating of 80 or higher.

I highly doubt you’ve played even half of the games in that list.

22. Phoenixblight

Thats your opinion Michael but Paper was just another rehash, same with Smash Brothers, Mario Kart and Metroid. I have played maybe three-fourths of those and still only the 3 I have listed were worth it. My Wii was just collecting dust.I am not a fan of Suda51 games. So your point is moot.

23. Caleb_LK

@22 Michael has a valid opinion there he’s stating what games he believes are good and I have to agree with him. Also the vast majority of those games do have above 80 on meta critic, where you know they combine scores from actual reviewers you know like people who are paid to review games.

No I’m not a Wii fanboy I own all three console and I think just like with the eyetoy and wii a bunch of shovelware will come out for Natal and Move.

24. sg1974

^^ I make that three first-time posters in the past few weeks who’ve used their debut comment to come in right behind O’Connor. Last weekend’s “I rarely post but” from another user makes it four people recently who only feel the need to comment in order to defend O’Connor or tell us O’Connor is right.

Hmm….

25. Erthazus

@21 Michael i played almost all games on that list except

Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros’ Treasure
    de Blob
    Eledees
    Punch Out
    Warioware: Smooth Moves
    A Boy and His Blob
    LostWinds
    LostWinds: Winter of the Melodias

Others i played at PC,PS2 and all games are mediocre at best. I’m not in to Mario much. (SMG was good, but thats it. It was just good.) Zelda was good.
    Thats it. There is nothing much actually. You can make huge lists. But Nintendo Wii have bad library of good games and i won’t buy games for it except Metroid (i should try) and new Zelda maybe. Then i will sell my Wii.

and you forgot Muramasa. I like this game so much. Probably my favourite Wii game.

26. Hunam

You all forget Trauma Centre, you heathens.

27. DjFlex

“I make that three first-time posters in the past few weeks who’ve used their debut comment to come in right behind O’Connor. Last weekend’s “I rarely post but” from another user makes it four people recently who only feel the need to comment in order to defend O’Connor or tell us O’Connor is right.”

That’s because you guys bitch at him EVERY single time he makes a comment. Why are so many posters here are so fucking cranky all the time? You guys complain about everything unless it’s PS3-positive and have the nerve to defend Tretton’s asinine comments.

28. sg1974

@DJFlex,

29. theevilaires

it’s O’Connor with dummy accounts for sure. He’s the same guy who started the name changing around here last year after I owned him about Final Fantasy XIII releasing in the spring.

30. DjFlex

“You were the second one I spotted. Either O’Connor is farming friends for cheerleading or his feet are going cold and bare….”

@sg1974

Oh give me a break….I posted one time and now I’m a farmed cheerleader? You gotta be kidding me, guys…lulz

@TEA

…talking about dummy accounts, literally.

31. sg1974

@30 Yup. Four people in two weeks incluidng you who come out of nowhere to basically tell us O’Connor is right and everyone else is wrong. And its funny how these comments from sudden knights in shining armor are usually followed within minutes by a post from O’Connor thanking them for their surprise and completely coincedental support.

All too convenient and it seems not the first time people have had this suspicion..

32. DjFlex

You are delusional. I never said anyone or everyone were right or wrong. All I said was that he’s entitled to his opinion which you guys seem to ALWAYS tell him is the WRONG opinion.

I usually just read the article and then sometimes I check comments. I was hesitant to respond but just got tired of seeing you guys attack his opinion.