Sat, Mar 20, 2010 | 17:56 GMT
BFBC2 gets server update, patched, Steam deal
EA and DICE released a new server software update for PC players of Battlefield: Bad Company 2 yesterday.
According the update, the server is being installed in the server hosts with the new version putting 20 percent less of a load on the CPU.
Hit detection was also improved, along with some other fixes. You can read the announcement through the official message boards.
- Several common crash fixes. Especially those which have monitoring scripts that rely on the Remote Admin interface should see stability improvements.
- PunkBuster can send commands to Remote Admin interface (so ‘pb_sv_task 0 -1 ’ works)
- Veteran-rank handling corrected (it was broken in R6 and possibly earlier)
- Switched back to Release version of the low-level networking library; less debug output but higher performance
- Increased the initial server reconnection interval to 30+rand(30) seconds
- PB GUID generation is now based on EA account IDs (it used to be based on persona names)
- Added new command line options which allow providers to easily maintain server GUID’s
Also, Steam is offering a Battlefield Bad Company 2 Squad Pack that includes four copies of the shooter for the price of three so you can give away a few to pals.