Sega wants to do Bayonetta 2

Friday, 19th March 2010 08:30 GMT By Johnny Cullen

bayonetta4

Sega president Mike Hayes has revealed the company is very much keen on doing a sequel to Bayonetta.

Speaking with CVG, the exec said the Platinum actioner is one of many titles the firm could “sequel-ise”.

We want to get the core games right before anything else,” said Hayes. “We’ve got our shooter with AvP and our RPG with Alpha Protocol – we really want to make those into franchises.

If you think about it, we can sequel-ise Bayonetta, AVP, Alpha Protocol and we can make a hit of something like Vanquish. Add that to Football Manager and Virtua Tennis – we actually have a broad portfolio.”

Bayonetta creator Hideki Kamiya has already said he would like to see a Bayonetta 2, possibly in the form of a spin-off.

Bayonetta’s sold 1.1 million units since its last count after its release in January.

1. Michael O’Connor

This is something I would certainly approve, but *only* if Platinum Games (and specifically Hideki Kamiya) was at the helm.

2. loki

“Sega wants to do Bayonetta 2″ – We too

3. mington

i was thinking about this yesturday

Sequels

games like uncharted 1, lost planet, dead space and batman AA deserve sequels, as they are hugely enjoyable, yet, can be improved upon…

but when we step into the realm of near perfect games, like uncharted 2, resident evil 4 and Bayonetta, there isn’t a huge amount you could do to the core mechanics to improve upon it, you get to ‘if it ain’t broke’ territory, so they have to send the game off in new directions…a co-op flavored direction

res 4 added co-op
    lost planet added co-op (although this is perfect for it)
    batman adding co-op? (i bet they will)
    dead space adding co-op? (i think they are, aren’t they)

now i LOVE a bit of co-op action, i had the most enjoyment of MW2 in spec ops, but please keep it away from the main campaign

how do you improve upon Bayonetta, i don’t know, but i hope forced co-op isn’t the way

i was reading about the new Lara croft game on eurogamer, and it said that playing alone makes it quite a limited gaming experience

forced multiplayer in tomb raider…GTFO

4. Sini

Fuck no, this shit needs to be buried and forgotten.

Overrated piece of crap, I’m glad I just rented it, I still feel bad. Guess that’s how a person feels when he flushes $6 down the toilet?
    Everything about this game is bad really. The story/script/characters(Joe Pesci? Really?) are terrible, the heroine looks like some kinda old giraffe wanna be milf acting like a slutty teenager – except only thing to make her less attractive than she already is would be to make her obese or something, she got all else already covered. Her animations, the way she walks or stands, ugh. Then you have the enemy design, holy crap, they actually made angelic enemies even more stupid looking than the ones in DMC4. Astounding.
    Next, the presentation is awful – low textures, washed out colors, v-sync tearing issues, bad framerate all set in for the most part bland environments. Music is terrible, the one liners she uses are so lame it makes you facepalm.
    That leaves gameplay, which is nothing to get excited over. Some people say that she is very responsive, BS, she is just faster than say, Kratos, since he is a bulky muscular man, not some hopeful milf dressed in hair, so obviously she’s gonna move/attack faster.
    Overall, this is the worse hack’n'slash game in the last half a year.(and we had like 4 releasing with GoWIII this month so no excuse for getting this at all)

RENT, don’t BUY, you have been warned. Only people who like this POS are the fanboys of the DMC director I would guess, or those who like button mashing with colors flying off right and left with every hit. Or maybe Joe Pesci fanboys, he should sue regardless. k times up, gottta run.

5. mington

if you got 10 minutes spare you should all watch this…

6. Michael O’Connor

Someone burn Sini at the stake. Please.

Also mington, that video was amazing. I’m totally hiring that guy!

7. Johnny Cullen

Bayonetta > everything and everyone.

Unless its Mass Effect 2.

8. mington

@6 too late, he has his game overthinker videos shown on screw attack

and his movie reviews on the escapist

but six months ago he could’ve been all yours

9. Michael O’Connor

Booooooooooo!

Damn, lost opportunity. The guy is awesome.

10. Blerk

Sometimes I wish I could’ve liked Bayonetta. :-|

11. hitnrun

@Blerk: Me, too. I’m not sure if I played a different version or something. I think people were so excited about the year of hype and leaked clever details that they didn’t realize the game sucked.

12. mington

honestly, i didn’t really ‘get it’ until i was in the final third of the game…then my xbox rrod

but i was actually getting hyped for my second play through before i had even finished it, as i was really starting to get a hang of it, as the game is so complex and different i think the game demands quite a few hours of play before it can really be enjoyed

13. Blerk

Ah, it’s absolutely me and not the game that’s at fault. I can’t abide games where you have to learn dozens of combos – I’ve got no memory for them whatsoever, so I just end up being shit at them. It’s the reason I can’t play fighting games and I’m pretty sure it’s the reason why I can’t enjoy Bayonetta.

14. mington

the game has these secret trail missions and quite honestly i’d say most are utterly impossible on your first play through, as you don’t have either the moves or the knowledge of the combat system to complete them

it was really quite frustrating, one of the first ones i came across was ‘kill this giant axe wielding baby with only 4 punchs and 6 kicks’ and this is 2 hours into the game. impossible

did anyone complete any of these trails on there first play through?

the games not so much about learning, but more about experience, and the game can’t fully be enjoyed until you’ve gained that experience

15. DaMan

most of the Alfheims were actually easy if you played PS2 DMCs.

for that limited K and P just trigger witch time and charge.

also @11 haha impressive logic there, buddy. I think you’ve picked a wrong game. I’m yet to see a DMC fan that didn’t enjoy this one. well, unless they’re a Dante fanboy or something.

16. DaMan

what I personally actually had trouble with btw, was the After Burner mini game achievement. had to set the difficulty on Easy to get that one :o

17. xino

*just freaking give Bayonetta less accent
    “was I just. Singing!?”

*Co-oP mode or content creation

*some multiplayer or something, like 3 players in an arena battling bad guys like Street of Rage feel like.

Bayonetta 1 was a great game but replaying the damn story again for replaybility was bad, I seriously hate replaying storymode just for long lasting feel.