Report – Steam drops Ubisoft DRM titles from line-up

Friday, 19th March 2010 12:35 GMT By Johnny Cullen

assassinscreed26

According to a report from CVG, Valve’s dropped titles on Steam from Ubisoft that’s gotten the firm’s ill-fated DRM software in its games, including Assassin’s Creed II and Silent Hunter V.

Originally, both games were available here and here respectively, but they are no longer where they should be. A senior source told the site Valve doesn’t want to lose face over “its reputation for customer service, and these games have angered its user-base.”

Already, it’s angered quite a lot of people, including some attacking the DRM servers on aforementioned titles. And remember, big Gabe’s not down with the whole thing, innit.

Whatever happens, this ain’t going to go away for a while yet. We’ve emailed Ubisoft for comment.

1. Freek

Go Valve! Awesome :)

2. Michael O’Connor

So Ubisoft has not only been owned by the consumer, who managed to DOS their servers in order to teach them a point about how retarded and archaic their DRM is, but also by digital retailers as well, who now refuse to stock their games on their virtual shelves?

…HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Maybe now they might get the goddamn hint.

3. blackdreamhunk

right on steam vavle rocks I hope they dumb all ubisoft drm garbage…if I was retail I would drop the price too.

DRM is nothing more than big cooperation’s trying to force people in buying consoles. where they can try and control you like in a dictatorship.

4. SunKing

Yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes.

Awesome, Valve. You rock my world. :D

5. f1r3storm

I can see both games on the Steam website.

6. blackdreamhunk

mircrosoft and sony doing their best to force pc gamers in to buying dumb over junk consoles!!!

ubisoft is their nice little puppet, goes show how much ubisoft vavles their fanbase!

7. Jockie

Good for Valve, was looking forward to playing ACII until this whole debacle started. Guess I’ll be missing out on Splinter Cell: Conviction as well.

8. NGCes26294BIV

Ironic, considering Valve were the first to do the ‘must be connected to the net to play’ with Half Life 2.

9. blackdreamhunk

publisher and game devs would have to use drm any way. Ubisoft’s drm is going over line. frankly the media and the gaming is going over the line!!!

at a least valve solution is respectable to it’s fans and not abusive!!

the media lies about pc gaming dying every year, I wonder why?

I wonder is to destory pc gaming?

So why should I trust them to bring any good creadable news about pc gaming.

lets try and force pc gamers into buy stupid consoles!!!!

10. Bulk Slash

Nice work Valve! Maybe Ubisoft will wake up and take the DRM out now. There’s a guaranteed sale for Ass Creed II and Splinter Cell if they do.

11. blackdreamhunk

One more thing ubisoft strikes me as company that does not care about it’s fans!

Your paying for a $60 game you don’t own. It’s full of drm. It’s a console port on top of that. on NG4 some said he is band from ubisoft’s site and can’t play his or her own game. I wonder is that really right.

the funny part is some of the gaming media supports this.
    the very same gaming that says pc gaming is dying every year.

12. Kamikaze_Tutor

I can still see the games on the program and webpage.

13. NiceFellow

I hope they have. I’ll buy something new from Steam just to say thanks.

This kind of DRM stinks and deserves to be sunk by negative consumer reaction.

14. Alakratt

Pirates win?

15. JonFE

@NGCes26294BIV:

“Ironic, considering Valve were the first to do the ‘must be connected to the net to install‘ with Half Life 2.”

Fixed that for you. Once you got past the installation process, Half Life 2 could be played off-line.

16. blackdreamhunk

right just like consoles can’t be pirated too, this is junk!

you know mircosoft and sony wants pc gaming dead so bad!

I say to them bring it and lets see what happens

the gaming media wants pc gaming dead so bad!

I say bring it!

17. blackdreamhunk

a least steam games can be played offline and online!!!
    a least steam games are payable!!!
    a least vavle respects it’s fan base!!!!

18. NGCes26294BIV

Ah, my mistake then. Thanks for the correction.

19. scuz

blackdreamhunk isn’t going to win the debate.

20. blackdreamhunk

oh really bring it

21. blackdreamhunk

oh one more thing some one from ng4 says the story maybe bunk.

they gave a link here

22. AssAssIn0009

NICE JOP VALVE GO forward

23. endgame

HEY! idiots! wake up! the games r still there! nobody owned anybody yet.