BioWare has “tricks up its sleeve” for Mass Effect 3

Friday, 19th March 2010 16:59 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

masseffect214

The good doctors at BioWare, Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka, sat down with UGO at GDC and chatted a bit about what gamers can expect in the third-installment of Mass Effect.

According to what they told Tracy John, the developers may have a few trick up their sleeves.

“We’ve got some tricks up our sleeves,” said Muzyka. “We have new tricks”.

“It’s also flexible, too,” added Zeschuk. “A lot of the features in Mass Effect 2 came directly from player feedback, and we totally changed what we were planning to build because of that feedback. So we knew we had to make it awesome, and we’re going to change some of the features and some of the approaches we thought we were going to take from ME1 to ME2.

“We focused a lot more on action, and it really amped the shooter aspects of this game. It’s a stand-alone experience, so you don’t have to play Mass Effect 1. It’s a great shooter. You can play it as a shooter. It’s a deep, rich shooter with a lot of customization options, exploration and story that just make the experience that much richer. But it’s a shooter at its core, and that’s the way the combat unfolds”.

“There will definitely be things that we tweak and modify but in some ways, I think Mass 2 was closer to the original vision we had anyway,” said Muzyka. “Mass 1 was more in the traditional BioWare game sense where Mass 2 was a bit more evolved game.

“I don’t think Mass 3 will be as revolutionary when we really streamlined the experience, but what we’re going to do is refine it and make it even better.

“We are just trying to make our games better. We are humble as a group, and we are still going to refine and endure. It’s going to be highly refined. When you think of it, I think the shooting experience is better. I think we could actually take it from that same difference of improvement in the next one. That’s actually one of the really exciting things. Creating a shooting game is actually a craft like creating an RPG game. That’s now our second shooter so Mass 2 will be like our third. So every time we do that we get better and better, so I think that’s going to be one of the really exciting stuff.

“I think people are going to be really surprised at how slick it is”.

The Firewalker DLC will be released next week on March 23, and Kasumi’s Stolen Memory is slated for April 6.

1. daytripper

mass effect is sublime

2. Mike

I <3 Greg & Ray.

3. Bulk Slash

The only things I’d like to see radically changed are the planet scanning and the hacking/overriding mini-games. The planet scanning was pretty tedious and the hacking games got very repetitive by the end.

The loading screens were still pretty long. Maybe they could make a resources mini-game you can play while the level loads? That fixes the loading problem and the tedious resource scanning all at once!

4. Mauller

I can’t wait for the conclusion to this epic trilogy. I’m also not looking forward to it, because it will be the end of this epic trilogy. I could definitely do without the planet scanning resource gathering aspect though. Let me have some sort of resource probe that I can just launch and have it scan the planets for me. Let me contract a small scale mining company to handle my resource management.

5. daytripper

long as in what ? you would think the waiting time was about twenty minutes or something. no offence to you Bulk Slash but having read some of the feedback on Biowares forums some of the complaints are over the top and downright spoilt.

6. Retroid

Hopefully it won’t be a fucking Terminator.

7. Bulk Slash

@daytripper

I think it’s mainly due to a bug in the PC version, sometimes areas will load near-instantly but usually it takes over a minute. 60 seconds is plenty of time to gather a bit of palladium or Element Zero.

8. Massiveslag

I’m hoping that now they have the shooter aspect nailed, they’ll bring back more focus to the story, as in ME1. They need to pull out all the stops with the last installment and really blow us all away with combat, story and depth. If they pull it off then legendary status is assured.

You can bet your sweet ass that a movie will be in the pipeline too. Hollywood hasn’t produced a concept, universe or lore that can touch ME’s for many, many years.

9. Keivz

@ Bulk Slash

I had ZERO loading issues during my play through on the PC. I’ve heard others complain though so it seems to be system specific.

I’m glad BW seems to be on the right track with ME 3. Honestly, I’m a bit worried as to how the fight with the reapers will play out. Will have to wait and see.

10. Neolucifer

I have confidence that the game will be awesome .
    But i hope this time they wont cleverly ignore most big decisions and put them aside .

The choices made in me1 , like the one about the Citadel’s council has virtually no impact , since “ahaha but the game is mostly in the terminus system” .

I hope to see me1 choices actually pan out this time , and obviously ME2′s as well .