Sony’s make.believe video is very inspirational

Thursday, 18th March 2010 20:16 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

flowera3

Sony has put up a video featuring a message from thatgamecompany, as part of the make.believe project.

The mantra of the video is “Believe that anything you can imagine, you can make real”, which has led to the development and release of games like flOw and Flower.

Check out the inspirational video of it below, or through the US PS Blog.

1. Gekidami

Are these meant to be recruitment videos or something?

2. Tallon 4

Flower was f’kin amazing. Shame that their next game is set for 2011

3. Armitage

Liked flOw, loved Flower, but this video has just inspired me to vomit.

4. ianbenoir

that was horrible.
    and the explanation for the dot in the middle of make.believe is one of the most stupid marketing excuses i’ve ever heard.

I wonder how much they paid for that..

5. Erthazus

I’m sure that Sony will buy ThatGameCompany.

6. Quiiick

@ Armitage
    I totally agree. :)

7. Talyis

Wait Where is Cloud then? I wanna see it!

8. ictmanager

OPEN LETTER to Sony re: “make.believe” copyright
    I was the English guy who invented the phrase ‘Sony Make Believe’. I do not work for Sony, and I have no connection with Sony.
    I am a teacher in the UK who comes up with ideas like this at home and occasionally comes up with bright ideas for logos, slogans etc, to promote creativity in my Design teaching with 15 and 16 year old Graphic Design pupils, to encourage them to think ‘outside the box’. ‘Sony Make Believe’ is an idea I had which has been discussed many times with my pupils during the past 5 years since I invented it.
    I came up with this tagline / slogan and sent it to Sony’s advertising department about 5 years ago. I own the copyright to the addition of the words ‘Make Believe’ to the word ‘Sony’ as an advertising slogan. It was a play on the words ‘Sony Make Believe….’ which, coloquially spoken, sounds like ‘It’s only Make Believe…’, which, in the UK, parents will recognise as a phrase which they will have used with their younger children after watching television programs. I felt that it was a good pun for such a company producing high quality AV equipment. When I sent it to Sony, I offered them the rights to the tagline/slogan for ___100 UK pounds. They never responded, but they have now used it as their global marketing campaign. They simply put a dot in it, to make the phrase ‘Sony Make.Believe’, made a big deal about the DOT representing ‘Sony’… So it is VERY slightly different.
    If Sony delve deep enough into their records, they will find the evidence of my contact. If they then pay me what I asked for the UK copyright, I will put the money into my school’s funds for my pupils’ benefit.
    I am sure that the Sony corporation is unaware that one of its employees has conveniently forgotten to tell them where the idea came from, and are unaware of its origin. But someone in the Advertising department DOES know and is putting Sony’s reputation is at risk if they do not do the right thing here. Corporate theft is just theft. I am just a guy with an idea.
    If you’ve ever tried to get in touch with a company or, other that to order, to contact their service department, or their Head Office, you won’t know how difficult it actually is to make contact with the right people. But it IS difficult, and the chain of communication may be difficult for Sony to trace. But trace it they should. This does sound a bit like the story of David and Goliath. But this short story is actually about one employee who didn’t ‘do the right thing’ and passed off someone else’s work as their own, probably to gain promotion, and about an internationally renowned company who ought to now feel a little embarrassed, rather than trying to bring the might of the legal establishment down on this claimant’s head.
    We’re talking of a 100 UK pounds contribution to a school’s Funds here, not industrial sabotage. That 100 UK pounds will be accepted as a gesture of goodwill. It wouldn’t even pay for one of Sony’s lawyers to write me one single letter. And funnily enough, the motto of my school is ‘Tenez le Droit’ or ‘Do the Right Thing’.
    Pay up, please, Sony, and let the next generation benefit.
    You can contact me, the copyright holder, at ictmanager@hotmail.com

Read more: http://www.techradar.com/news/world-of-tech/sony-enters-land-of-make-believe–631273#ixzz12GypoBeF

9. Psychotext

O_o

10. DSB

Tim Langdell, is that you?