SCE: Missing out on Demon’s Souls was “a mistake”

Tuesday, 16th March 2010 08:54 GMT By Johnny Cullen

demon'ssouls

Speaking at GDC, SCE localisation liaison Yeonkyung Kim has revealed the company made a big “mistake” when it passed on publishing Demon’s Souls.

In Japan and Asia, the game was published by Sony, but Atlus was then given publishing duties in the US, with no European release planned yet by neither firms. Something Kim regrets.

“That was a mistake,” he said. “It should have come out as a first-party title.”

Kim admitted it would be a niche title, hence why it wasn’t originally picked up with expected sales to be 15,000, but the LtD numbers for the FromSoftware RPG is at nearly a quarter of a million.

But is a sequel on the way. According to this, yes.

Thanks, 1UP.

1. mington

Umbasa

2. Blerk

Never underestimate the power of ‘word of mouth’.

3. mington

a sequel would be so good

i’m in two minds whether they should just repeat the same formula + lots of polish

or have one big open world like shadow of the colossus…but full of demons

they should make both

4. Edward Cullen

If you’re the guys who made Armored Core I myself would stay away from you within a mile radius.

But I guess everyone can change.

5. Herlock

Stupid Japanese Studio and have SCE in 3 parts is too…
    Localisation are so bad!

6. Erthazus

I think this time Sony will publish it and developers will have enough money to polish it.

7. frostquake

I have it, but I haven’t broke the wrapper on it…So it is still in Virgin status…too many other games to de-flower!

8. Dannybuoy

buying Demon’s Souls was a big mistake for me. Don’t get me started… i was looking for a fun hack and slash but Demon’s Souls was something else altogether. GoW Collection was the scratch I was looking for the itch in the end ;-)

9. Len

Where as I loved it, great and terrifying game.

Very interested to see what/if they do a sequel… :#)

10. mington

The games all about co-op, i love helping people out its well fun, and like wise letting other people kill my bosses :P

11. sennasnit

It’s supposed to be harder than the hardest thing on earth with a hard on. :/

12. mington

it wasn’t that hard, but it really throws you in at the deep end, the first ten hours of the game is probably its hardest, but the more you level up it becomes a cake walk….:P its all about co-op baby, it took me 25 hours to realise

i’ve almost completed it, i killed 4 bosses last night, 2 bosses to go, i’m gonna finish it tonight!

13. Syrok

“It’s supposed to be harder than the hardest thing on earth with a hard on. :/”

Not really. Once you have adjusted the way you play to it it’s not difficult at all.

14. Telepathic.Geometry

@frostquake: You don’t deflower Demon’s Souls, it deflowers you. And it feels good.

It’s not so much hard as it is unforgiving. And it’s hard too.

15. mington

those first few hours of demons souls are really iconic, it all gets a bit dingy around the middle, but everyone should experience the first two levels, when you walk through that fog and are greeted by a 50 foot knight and 10 archers, thats some scary shit

16. Telepathic.Geometry

Every world has its own terrors in fairness. Don’t get me started on World 5, what a fucking horrible shithole. I mean, fucking plague baby foetus attacks FFS!!! (x–x)

17. theevilaires

I have to pick this up. I keep forgetting. Hey Psychotext have you beaten it already……I know you’re here so reply.

18. Sini

I think the important thing to get out of this is that sequel is most likely in development, and because of first game unexpected popularity Sony will be publishing it worldwide, with maybe even a bigger budget. Can’t wait.