MW2 Stimulus map pack to cost 1200 MS points, features five maps

Monday, 15th March 2010 07:14 GMT By Johnny Cullen

modernwarfare241

Infinity Ward’s Rob Bowling has revealed the Modern Warfare 2 Stimulus map pack will cost 1200 MS points when it releases later this month.

Speaking in the latest Major Nelson podcast, he also detailed the five maps make up the pack, including two oldies from Call of Duty 4. They are:

• Bailout – An “overrun apartment complex”
  • Storm – An industrial park “in the middle of a rainy downpour, tense thunderstorm”
  • Salvage – An abandoned junkyard”, with a “snowy terrain”
  • Crash – Urban map with a downed heli, one of the classics from COD4
  • Overgrown – It’s “wide open, great for snipers”, the other map from Modern Warfare 1

The map pack is due for release on March 30 on Xbox Live, and is going to head-to-head with a game update from Battlefield: Bad Company 2.

1. justiceblob

Pricey, pricey Actiblizz… well lets face it, Activision.

2. Tallon 4

1200 points…way to go Activision :/

3. G1GAHURTZ

Too much.

4. Robo_1

lolololololololol

Has Bobby Kotick grown horns yet?

5. freedoms_stain

The only map pack I’ve ever bought was the Gears 2 All Fronts pack so I’m not exactly well versed in the relative costs, but damn that sounds like a rip-off.

6. Joe_Gamer

Geez, I must be poorer than I thought, everything seems so god damn expensive lol, good thing I bought Bad Company 2 instead :-D

7. TheWulf

@Joe_Gamer

It’s just Activision being Activision.

For that kind of money I could get a few triple-A titles in a Steam sale. I bought a great indie bundle on Steam a few days back featuring a number of particularly brilliant games, proper, full games.

That’s what Activision is competing with. And considering that Bioware/EA have figured out that it’s good to befriend their customers, Activision is going to start bleeding money any day now.

Or such is the hope, but seeing the post of a certain other poster here I fear the average gamer will be stupid enough to put money down for DLC like this regardless.

8. mescalineeyes

with all the bitching about dedicated servers and god knows what else re: MW2, this is what we should really be boycotting. wonder if any of the hardcore players have the balls to pass this up.

9. DrDamn

If it was five brand new maps – and maybe throw in the CoD4 maps as a bonus – then the price would not be so bad. That does sound too much. It will still sell, it will leave a bit of a bad taste in the mouth though.

10. Redh3lix

TWO of the maps within the map pack are COD 4 maps DrDamn.

11. polygem

there was a time stuff like this was 800 points…1200 points is too much for 5 maps (3 new ones)…i liked overgrown and crash but this sounds like a rip off. 5 new maps and 3-4 of the cod 4 maps for 1200 would be fair. this is a bad deal. activision/iw can keep it. i hate it when publishers try to rip me off. i have no problem with paying serious cash for cool dlc but this smells like greed.

12. NGCes26294BIV

I was ready to boycott 4 maps at 800 points.

1200 for 5? Fuck that.

13. DrDamn

@Redh3lix
    Yeah that was kind of my point. *If* it was 5 brand new ones and they chucked in the two CoD4 ones as well then it would be priced about right.

14. DeSpiritusBellum

I’m just gonna jump on the bandwagon and wail against the establishment on this one.

I’m seriously considering whether it’s worth it. With that few maps and no extra weapons, you’re bound to get hit by mapathy pretty soon whether you dish out or not.

I guess it’s just a cold calculation that with x number of copies sold you can demand an outrageous price and still get fat as a whale.

15. TheWulf

The thing is that Source gets some amazing mod release almost every week, and those are free. Sure, some of them might eventually go commercial but by the time they’ve polished the game that much it’ll be worth it.

The only reason they can get away with 1200 points is because of a lack of mods, isn’t it?

16. skinfultat2

to be perfectly honest this is complete B.S. They wanna charge this much for 3 new maps and 2 “old” maps no new weapons or gear and for a glitchy ass game like this…OK I’ll bite this one time just cuz I have the game already but it is the LAST dollar they will get from me. I’m done with these corporate hogs who sit with greed on piles of my hard earned money. yeah it cost money to come up with them blah blah blah they make that and then some in the first day its released tom clancy is due for something new, hopefully more people decide to stay away from activision after this stunt

17. theevilaires

can someone explain to me how much that is dollars. They seriously need to drop that fucking stupid point system (PSN+1)

If G1GA says they are too much then I know something is wrong.

18. skinfultat2

about 15.00…youll have to buy either a 20.00 card with 1600pts or a 4000pt card for 50

19. ramdom1234

I have found a site which is giving away free STIMULUS map pack and i have downloaded it and playing it just love the map “Bailout”.
    Get your map here