Rumor: No more PS3-exclusivity for Insomniac Games

Saturday, 13th March 2010 06:20 GMT By Nathan Grayson

Ratchet-Clank-ACiT

The PS3′s finally picking up steam, but longtime supporter Insomniac may have decided to get off the exclusivity train at the next stop. Or at least, that’s the word out of IGN, who cites a “trusted source.”

The source apparently spoke with IGN during GDC under the condition of anonymity.

Although Insomniac’s been firmly in Sony’s camp since Spyro the Dragon put the developer on the map, Sony doesn’t technically own Insomniac. As such, the Ratchet and Clank/Resistance developer is free to create a new IP for whichever platform it chooses. Which, according to IGN’s source, is the Xbox 360 – in addition to the PS3, which is to be expected.

For now, Insomniac’s not commenting on the rumor, so we’ve tried touching bases with Sony. If anyone bites, we’ll let you know.

1. Michael O’Connor

I’d be very surprised if this is true. I mean… it’s Insomniac! They might as well be a first-party developer, considering how much the company has put into the PlayStation brand.

If this does turn out to be true… well, it’s going be an interesting few days, that’ll all I’ll say.

2. 52pickup

Sony own the Resistance and Ratchet & Clank IPs so they won’t be going multiplatform,but a new IP might. It would be strange for them to go multiplatform after so many years of dedication to the Playstation brand. In all honesty though,do each individual Insomniac game sell that well?

3. NoxNoctisUmbra

Just like BUNGIE wont have to make Xbox Xclusive games anymore.

4. Robo_1

I’d be quite surprised if this is true. Sony have always looked after Insomniac, giving their games pride of place in the company line up. Going from that to being another developer in the multi format scrum might be less palatable than they think.

I’ll be curious to see which publisher they go with too.

5. Galactic_Barret

I don’t want to sound mean, but they’ll die without Sony. With a new IP, publisher, less polish, and higher workload, they wouldn’t make it past their first flop. Then, you can’t run back to Sony; Why share assests or finance them when you can’t remain loyal? That just tells Sony to invest more into their own(ed) studios. I can tell you this: No more Hot Sundae fridays if this goes through. Good luck, though. ^.^b

6. frod

They’ve been dropping hints about this for months. No surprise if true.

7. steve1979

@3.
    It’s a bit different to Bungie. Microsoft still get first refusal to any Bungie game. If this rumour is true, then insomniac can do what they want.

8. Galactic_Barret

@6 Years, actually. Supposedly. Read that on GAF. ^.^b

9. Mike

“Shall we make more money or remain “loyal” to a electronics company?”
    “Hmmmmm.”
    “I’ll get the phone, you call them.”

10. Eregol

I love the old ‘trusted source’ line.
    Like when a celebrity’s ‘trusted source’ says something to the media that ends up not being true.

Anyway, do Insomniac make any games that 360 owners actually want?

11. DrDamn

360 certainly lacks a decent platformer. I think Insomniac have been stuck in a rut a bit and need to at least do new IP to spice things up a bit.

12. Mike

hat’s always been the 360s achilles heel, innit; the platformer. If Insomniac can give ‘em that, then they’ve pretty much got all bases covered.

13. ybfelix

Why Insomniac’s “it’s complicated” relationship with Sony? Why didn’t Sony outright buy it? What happened?

14. Galactic_Barret

So, what if they don’t make more money, Mike? Contrary to popular belief, not all new IPs sell well (DV, Mirrors Edge, DS, BL, etc). Now, the right question would be: Risk the financial security of every employee and a very flexible, positive relationship with one of the best publishers around or throw an unnecessary hail-mary in a very unstable market where even great development houses are closing left, right, and filing for bankruptcy? ‘HANG UP THAT DAMN PHONE!’

15. polygem

that would be so awesome…seriously the only reason i still got my ps3 is because i like ratchet and clank so much and i miss this kind of games on the 360…the 360 is still my favorite system but it needs more platformers – desperately…shooters (like resistance) play always better on the 360 (my personal opinion – no offense)…i hope this ain´t just rumors.

16. Herlock

@ybfelix
    They have a good relationship with Sony and Ted Price never wanted to be buy, to stay independant.

17. Galactic_Barret

@13 Can’t buy a company that doesn’t want to be bought, and you can’t do a hostile takeover on a privately owned company.

@15 Expect only new IPs, if true. Sony owns Resistance and R&C. Temper expectations, though, because of not only the rumor status, but one of the IG guys (JS) over on NeoGAF (love that place) mentioned that these rumor have been around for months, and months. And that Ted Price has responded to it already.

18. Bulk Slash

Maybe they’re just not feeling the love after Sony bought Media Molecule?

19. Robo_1

If they do lose Insomniac, I do wonder if they’ll go for Quantic Dream next. Heavy Rain has proven to be a solid seller thus far.

20. Herlock

Lose what…they can always dev Ratch/Resistance and make a new IP for multiplaform (with the new studio), i dont understand people, nobody gone lose something.

21. The Hindle

Insomniac have failed to recieve the level of commercial success that ND or Santa Monica have gained so it wouldnt suprise me.

22. Aimless

I expect a cross-platform downloadable game by the end of the year, but nothing disk based for the time being as Resistance 3 should be out around November.

To be honest I think even the most hardened PS3 fan should be interested in the possibility as it would mean Insomniac are working on a brand new IP; I enjoyed A Crack in Time but the formula is getting a bit old.

23. theevilaires

I love Insomniac but even I can’t blame them for that decision if true. Same for Bungie. As long as they use the PS3′spotential first and don’t let the 360 hold back the best possible quality I’ll be backing these guys up until PS9.

24. onlineatron

Does Insomniac want to be bought by Sony?

I ask because if they do, they must be feeling pretty sore after seeing studios like Media Molecule get bought up before them.

25. theevilaires

Onlineatron you may be right! If this is true I know Sony will buy these guys. They just have to, there’s too much history between them. And Ted Price is a cool mother fucker :D

26. Hunam

I love Insomniac but they should ditch Resistance tbh, there are a million shooter IP’s out there but not a lot of family friendly platform action games, which is what they are basically the best in the world at. I’d love to see some stuff similar to Ratchet and Clank on the 360 from them, it would be pretty amazing.

27. Blerk

Blimey. I can’t imagine this happening, tbh. I always figured Sony would buy them out eventually.

28. The_Deleted

If Sonic and Mario can appear in the same game, anythings lucrative.

29. Robo_1

I’m guessing it’ll be there new studio that goes multi platform, whilst their main studio will remain focussed on PS3.

They’ve done an awful lot of work on the PS3 tech, and they were amongst the most vocal of all the devs about the benefit of Blu-Ray, so I’d be even more surprised if they were going to side line all that and go for complete multiplatform development.

30. Monk

Respond from insomniac !

31. meimei

Your post is rocking and knowledgeable… I really appreciate bar stools,non-woven bag,bamboo blinds the way you write . I would like to read more from you.

32. meimei

In use of the rails of the test, i don’t understand. I hope leather sofa,sectional sofa,makeup brushes I can improve through learning this respect. But overall, it’s very nice. Thank you for your share!

33. meimei

Your site is in my list and glass bottle,dinning chair,optical fiber Cable when I need something it is easy to find. Thanks!

34. LOLshock94

You are posting comments too quickly. Slow down.

35. meimei

This is one of the best posts that I’ve ever seen; you may include knit scarf,knit hat,knitted shawl some more ideas in the same theme. I’m still waiting for some interesting thoughts from your side in your next post.

36. meimei

I like this kind of very useful articles congratulations hair accessories,christmas ball,folding bike I wish you continued success, I hope I can do this kind of article

37. meimei

forehead thermometer manufacturer
    infrared forehead thermometer

38. meimei

Your blog appears quite informative. I liked it. So much useful material badminton racket,outdoor
    furniture
    . I read with great interest.Can you please tell me how can I read your rss blog?