Stig: GoW III engine only running at “50%”

Friday, 12th March 2010 08:38 GMT By Patrick Garratt

godofwar33

GoW III director Stig Asmussen reckons the game’s visuals are only half as good as they can be. Sheesh.

“Well, I think our studio will use this engine again,” he said, speaking to Destructoid at GDC this week, “and it’ll get better. And I think we’re probably about 50- or 60-percent at it right now. I think there’s a lot more we can do with it.”

Animations are an area that can be worked on, said the developer.

“I think individually our animations are incredible,” he said, “and our animators are incredibly talented. But I think we could make our system technically better, in the way we blend animations. And I’m pretty sure that we already have the code to do that, and we just didn’t implement it in God of War III because it came in real late.”

God of War III releases next week.

1. Robo_1

Yup, there’s a reason nobody is pining for the next gen quite yet. Amazing stuff if they’ve still got that much headroom.

2. Blerk

How about using the remaining 50% to give us a fully-movable camera next time, then?

3. Robo_1

It really doesn’t need that though. Half of the games cinematic look comes from the fixed camera angles and the composition of the scene.

4. Erthazus

@2 +1

5. Bulk Slash

I’m glad I’m not the only one who finds the lack of camera control annoying.

6. asphaltcowboy

What the heck does 50% even mean? Are you telling me if you cranked it up to “100%”, you’d still be getting 60fps? Unlikely.

7. Blerk

It’s my one real gripe with the series (aside from an occasionally irritating difficulty spike).

8. polygem

hate the lack of the camera controll as well…also i really think statements like these 50 % thing are really lame…create an awesome looking game that uses 99 % and runs 60fps and then tell the word how great you are – and i will probably agree…but to tell that this is possible in theory still just sounds like marketing to me.

9. Edward Cullen

“…And I’m pretty sure that we already have the code to do that, and we just didn’t implement it in God of War III because it came in real late.”

Maybe this explains why…

10. KAP

slight xbox-fan-boy-ism happening here even if u choose not to admit it guys, the fact that the game is one of the best looking titles today and the hype its getting from pretty much every kind of media out there, its always jokes to see peppered around xbox vets trying to find some kind of fault with the title,

Its almost like me saying: castle crashers, braid, Trial HD, shadow complex are alright but they all suck balls coz u cant change the camera. Its complete nitpickin in its purest form, you all will love it and think little to the camera once your rippin intestines out peoples bellies (if u had a PS3)

“yea but i have both consoles”

Sure, its not the games i picked out but the point im trying to make.

11. Blerk

Get away, nobody even mentioned an Xbox until you did! Every game has stuff that could be better, even top-notch ones. If you don’t talk about that stuff then nothing ever changes.

12. Aimless

I’m not sure why disliking the lack of camera control means you have to predilection for all things Microsoft. Maybe you just want to be able to control the camera?

I’ll you what annoys me: people labelling things like this as marketing. It’s a bloody interview! The guy’s just answering a question, and given the graphical differences between the original God of War games, or the improvements made by titles like Uncharted 2 or Mass Effect 2, it isn’t particularly outlandish to think that games built on an existing engine will look better than their predecessors.

13. Edward Cullen

OH NOES!! Only 50% therefore its terrible!! and oh, Kratos is too floaty!! GOD OF WAR SUKCZZ!!

14. KAP

Blerk calm the hell down. its only a comment, i cant hurt you m8. damn?!
    Bayonetta did the rotating camera thing and pulled it off great but god of war 3 will be enjoyable regardless. thats the point made easier for ya dude.

15. Blerk

Well of course it’ll be enjoyable regardless, nobody said it wouldn’t be.

16. KAP

Course no one would, that’ll be way to obvious wouldnt it.
    Anyway anyone else getting trouble signing into multiplayer of BFBC2 right now? (PS3)

17. The_Deleted

Children, children…calm yourselves… We’re all getting anxious to play the game.Let’s not start on each other while we wait these last few days.

Deep breaths…Not long… not long…not long…

18. KAP

Hahaha, some people more then others from the looks of it.

19. McLovin85

Tbh the auto-camera for the GoW games has been so good i don’t really feel the need for having a fully controllable camera. Anyway, i prefer the right analog being assigned to ‘dodge’ as it feels natural and i use it the whole time.

20. KAP

agree completely m8

21. Edward Cullen

yeah me too. i actually prefer it rather having it the other way.

22. ianbenoir

I think a moving camera would bring more trouble to the gameplay than the static cam. But there should be a “look-around” thing.

Well, there’s always ways of making a game better… sometimes u have to deal with a huge and confusing code to make something that there’s a better and simple way to do, you just don’t know it yet.. but when u learn the best way to do it you can be free to add something else…
    I’d say a multiplayer in the future of the series.

23. KAP

22@ so true.
    on paper it sounds great but in some genres it can do without and still be great.

Edge is up to its tricks again with gow3 review lol

24. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Got my copy early through ebay two days ago. The game hits me with that next generation wow factor. Truly impressive.

25. theevilaires

I like the way this KAP guy thinks, keep up the good work buddy. This place needs people like you here.