Metal Gear Solid: Rising will bring in “new users”, says Kojima

Friday, 12th March 2010 16:35 GMT By Johnny Cullen

MGS Rising

Peace Walker? Phft, that’s for the hardcore Metal Gear massive: Hideo Kojima reckons Rising will bring in new fans for the series.

The theory given by the legendary dev is that with the game being developed by a new team – Kojima is only producing the game – it’ll bring in a new audience.

“The next MGS… “RISING.” this game will create new users, be developed by the new generation, a new MGS,” he said in a tweet.

He further added: “But on the other hand, [Peace Walker] is made by Hideo Kojima, a new but classical MGS. PW is a new type of game design and experimental for future endeavors.

“So it is hard to say it will finish with one game…”

Kojima did a Wada moment at Microsoft’s E3 press conference last summer, when he appeared and announced the game originally for 360. It was later announced the same week it would also be coming to PS3 and PC.

Since then, it has gone underground, with producers for the game revealing in Famitsu last year it won’t reappear until E3 this year. We’re counting down the days. Are you?

1. Razor

Days?

I’m counting the fucking seconds.

2. Johnny Cullen

I know it’s probably going to be shit, but after watching the Peace Walker footage yesterday, I am so pumped for this for some reason.

Unless it is catastrophically bad, Kojima has my money day one. Always did, always has, always will: especially since MGS3 anyways.

3. Erthazus

3@ The only problem that Kojima don’t make this game. He is just a producer.

4. Dr.Ghettoblaster

God, I love just seeing an ARTICLE on this game. Can’t f’ing wait.

5. theevilaires

new users as in XBOTS he means….fucking shame really its sure to be shit compared to GOW3.

6. Hunam

Lightning Bolt Action? Not tactical espionage action anymore then!

7. Dr.Ghettoblaster

8. Bulk Slash

I still just want an MGS game like the first. No Big Boss, no Old Snake, no Raiden, just the “original” Solid Snake infiltrating a base and doing some sneaking. The sequels seem to have failed to evolve the gameplay much while being filled with ever longer cut-scenes, codec chats and silly stories (MGS3′s story excepted).

9. DJ Deathstar

As long as bringing in new users doesn’t mean casual users and motion controls than im happy lol!

10. Hunam

I like how you say ‘just’ a producer, like they have no power at all.

11. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Agree Bulk. Strip the series down back to it’s core roots. Drop the “solid” and just return to Metal Gear. Perhaps after Rising, this will happen next..

12. Erthazus

@8 +1. But concept is still awesome what it is.

13. Goliath

Never got the hype behind Metal Gear. The series is just not my thing. MGS3: Subsistence is probably the only one I’ve ever completed.

14. Razor

There’s no reason why MGS1 couldn’t be remade for PS3, given MGS4 pretty much includes all the assets.

15. DJ Deathstar

Do we really need a second remake of MGS1 though?

16. Hunam

MGS1 was already remade and it was shit. It’s still a great game and just rehashing the past over and over isn’t really what I want. I can still play MGS1 and it is still amazing.

17. Bulk Slash

I still prefer MGS1 on the PS1 to the Gamecube version. Somehow I felt the GC one was missing the atmosphere of the original.

Plus the cut-scenes were stupid. You’d go from a cut-scene with Snake pulling off moves on Grey Fox that would make Bayonetta look clumsy and slow, to in-game where all Snake can do is punch-punch-kick over and over. The remake was so identical I can’t understand why they didn’t take the time to add extra areas and story to the game. The Resident Evil remake on GC showed how it should have been done.

18. Hunam

Yeah, it was just a bad idea with a poor developer at the helm. I didn’t like it at all. REmake was amazing though, and manically hard. I loved it :)

19. SunKing

Whoops, double post. My bad.

20. SunKing

I haven’t played MGS 4, but the controls in MGS 3 were clumsy, and Peace Walker’s controls are abominable to my poor hands. If they can somehow make Raiden cool and get the controls to fit, I could totally get into some “Lightning Bolt Action”.

You know, it may not be such a bad thing for Kojima not to be at the helm of this project. Rising may end up being good because of that fact, and not in spite of it.

21. theevilaires

Dr.Ghettoblaster said: TEA, come on man that’s an unfair comparison, we haven’t even seen pictures yet! :)

Doesn’t matter. If its being develop for both consoles theres no way the game can reach out of this world goals like UC2 or GOW3. The 360 will hold back the PS3 version.

Unless they make the PS3 vastly superior as it should be and leave the 360 gimped as it can’t match PS3′s raw power. Its time to wake up people and start heavily investing more into the console that will push games to a new limit for the next 5 years.

Im not trying to start a fight but major titles like MGS should only be developed on the best system. MGS4 was 50GB. Are you telling me this game will be better quality with better graphics,textures,and sound than MGS4 and the 360 can match…..kiss my ass.

22. Dr.Ghettoblaster

“Are you telling me this game will be better quality with better graphics,textures,and sound than MGS4 and the 360 can match…..kiss my ass.”

Actually, i’m just excited to see what they’re going to do with a new Metal Gear game. I’m not really looking to start comparing it to anything at this point is all.

Forget MGS. Remake the ORIGINAL 8 bit Metal Gear with new engine!

23. theevilaires

Me too Heavy-D ;) I want a new MGS also but I’m not that excited for this one because I know that PS3 only develop games are the best games now. Doesn’t mean it’ll suck but UC2 and GOW3 have set the bar so high.

also yea we need the original 8 bit remastered with new engine for PS3 hardware. Sorry if I’m sounding like a fanboy ass hole but with MOVE and games like UC2,GOW3,KZ2,GT5 why do you need another console now.

The PS3 is best of both worlds when it comes to Wii and 360. The future of gaming for the next 3 years is the PS3 man. I’m pumped to see gaming taken to a whole different level and Sony is making good on their word from 2006.

24. Dr.Ghettoblaster

LOL….good stuff TEA. I agree Sony is really turning things around as of late.

I’m about 3 hours in GOW3 (ebay) and I feel like I did the very first time I played Super Mario World. Meaning, it’s God of War, but EVERYTHING is better, bigger, and more beautiful than ever before! I love when I play those titles that truly feel next generation.

25. DaMan

:D

26. OlderGamer

Bulk

“The sequels seem to have failed to evolve the gameplay much while being filled with ever longer cut-scenes, codec chats and silly stories”

You just described the entire state of the JP games market.

Color me uninterested in this game until AFTER we see more info on it. Sorry guys, but an anouncement just won’t cut it anymore. Too many recent over hyped flops out there.

27. theevilaires

Dr.Ghettoblaster said: I’m about 3 hours in GOW3 (ebay)

Do I even want to know the fucking ridiculous price you paid for it? :D

28. Dr.Ghettoblaster

$80 plus $15 for overnight shipping. Not bad at all considering the quality of the product.

29. theevilaires

so you paid $95 for a game that releases in three more days…….. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA…(BREATHES)…. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA(CHOCKING) AHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Well now I don’t feel like the only moron who over paid for something on ebay :D (MGS3 special edition $220 :( )

30. Jpoplover

I hate this fact.
    MGS4 was too WESTERN.
    Hated that chapter.

31. Dr.Ghettoblaster

TEA, i got the game a full week early. I’m HAPPY to pay the extra cost for this premium luxury. :)

Plus I’m off on Monday, so I’m literally planning on spending the entire day playing it…

32. theevilaires

I agree Jpop I didn’t like MGS4 as much because it was more directed to westerns to try and sell more units. Still didn’t stop me from playing the right way it was suppose to be played (in stealth)

33. theevilaires

You’re going to beat it by then heavy-D. its GOW not Zelda. What are you going for the platinum? :D and I wasn’t making fun of you in the last message, you know that right :)

34. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Ofcourse I know that dude – you’re on my friends list man! Speaking of which – we gotta play something together sometime! What do you like to play multiplayer these days?

35. theevilaires

What do you like to play multiplayer these days?

Fucking Uncle Sam is what I like to play with others lately, please everyone join in these taxes are ridiculous but to you Dr.G I haven’t been playing much lately. I’ve been working out getting ready for the summer. I’ll be on this weekend though.

Buy a Xbox too so we can play me vs 100 and Gears of lag 2 :D