Deus Ex 3 becomes a Human Revolution with new trailer

Friday, 12th March 2010 06:41 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Deus Ex Human Revolution

Square Enix has just shown a brand new trailer of Deus Ex 3 at the Game Developers Choice Awards, introduced by series creator and host of the awards, Warren Spector.

Get it after the break.

It shows one of the many CG cut-scenes being handled by the firm since its takeover of developer Eidos last year. Looking very good, if we do say so ourselves.

The trailer also confirms the new subtitle as “Human Revolution”. Trademark filings found recently suggested this could be the new name.

It also confirms there will be more to come from the title at E3. So, how long until June again?

Get the taster below. No date for the RPG, but its due for release on PS3, 360 and PC.

Thanks, IGN.

1. Erthazus

I smell something that will fuck up this because of consolization.

2. subversus

pessimistic comments based on the fantastic trailer – GO!

3. Erthazus

Its not a pessimistic. Its a truth about 80% of the titles that are coming to PC from consoles.

No one cares about console games and ports for PC, but this is a legacy game for PC and it must be designed for a PC in mind.

PC have huge fanbase for Deus Ex franchise including me.

4. Michael O’Connor

Looks awesome.

“I smell something that will fuck up this because of consolization.”

To be honest, I think they learned their lesson with the second game. I’d be surprised if they mess that up again. I get the feeling that they’re definitely trying to make the “proper” sequel with this game.

5. ybfelix

I remember the first game was on console?

Anyway that’s the way life it is now, without selling to consoles you can’t afford a title of such caliber. The landscape of gaming has changed.

I like the renaissance motif in the video.

6. Erthazus

@5 don’t talk shit ok? Total War, Starcraft II, Diablo III and Stalker, MMOS – are huge games, especially games like Starcraft II and Diablo 3.
    If you know how to sell PC game it will sell.

@Michael, i think they learned… I just hope.

7. subversus

there’s a good interview on that, go read it. They took Deus Ex 1 as inspiration.

8. subversus

IGN interview

9. Gekidami

Actually i think you’ll find that ybfelix is right, nearly all PC games sell poorly, or atleast considerably less then console games, only a small handful (about 5 or 6 IP’s out of millions, and its always the same franchises) do decent sales.
    Will Deus Ex 3 be one of those games? I doubt it.

10. revolting

Deus Ex 2 got such a raw deal. At the time, we were all horrified that our beloved “intellectual shooter RPG/child of System Shock” was being turned into a dumbed down console-athon. And like most PC gamers/Deus Ex 1 fans, I completely turned my nose up to DE2 and wouldn’t give it the time of day.

Then 4 years later, I saw it in a bargain bin for £2, and thought “eh, why the hell not? £2 and putting up with a gutted UI is a small price to pay to find out what happened to those crazy Denton boys.” And you know what? I absolutely fucking loved it. As far as plot, presentation, atmosphere went, it was absolutely the glorius sequel to DE1 we all wanted, but were all grudgingly blinded to because of the growing trend of consoles pushing PCs aside. The only thing missing was archaic inventory and stats management, which we all held on to as stapels of true RPGs. I was really annoyed that I’d shunned it (along with the rest of the world) for such a ridiculous reason when it was released.

And if the same game (with today’s tech, obviously) had been released today, we’d have loved it… it was no more dumbed down than the almost universally lauded Bioshock, which we all creamed all over when it arrived on our consoles. We loved Bioshock for being the spiritual successor to System Shock, when ironically it bore FAR more resemblance to the universally slated Deus Ex 2. They’re practically identical in all but setting and story.

Ironically, hardly any of today’s decent RPGs have Tetris inventory management these days. Looking right at you, Bioware, Square, whoever else. Bethesda still bring the statistic nerdgasm for anyone who wants it, but even they are leaning away from uneccessarily clunky UI’s lately.

11. Tomo

Hmm. Can’t say I was overly impressed by that trailer.

12. Newbie101

Why is there a PlayStation controller button in the logo? Is it an exclusive?

13. Aimless

Likewise I’m a big fan of Thief 3, revolting. It was marred by having been squeezed onto the original Xbox — levels tended to be split in half, with rather incongruous zoning doorways in between — but it’s still a quality game.

I’m glad both series are going to get another chance.

14. revolting

No, newbie101. the end of the trailer clearly shows the PC PS3 and xbox logos.

15. Erthazus

@Gekidami he is not right. Console ports always will sell badly. Games like Starcraft II or Diablo 3 will sell like 10 millions at minimum. In Korea for example Starcraft 2 will sell like cakes.

14@ Yeah, but i think it is related to PS3 exclusive content. I’m sure they will show game at Sony’s E3 2010 and bring exclusive content with it. But at IGN this trailer belongs to 360, so maybe we will see content on their side. Who knows…

16. Blerk

I believe that ‘Playstation controller button’ image is commonly known in the rest of the non-gaming world as a ‘triangle’. :-D

17. Aimless

I think you’ll find that Sony invented the triangle, Blerk. In fact the pyramids were actually built as a result of the APOCOLYPS3, the ancient Egyptians mistaking Kratos for an actual God when the space-time continuum fell out of sync.

18. Gekidami

“Console ports always will sell badly.”
    And you actually have any decent examples of this? Because sales figures tend to tell another story.

“Starcraft II or Diablo 3 will sell like 10 millions at minimum.”

In what timespan are you talking about though?

19. ybfelix

they can’t afford losing the potential profit. Dragon age plays downright bad on consoles yet sales there at least comparable to pc’s. And wouldnt PC players be happy? they get the superior version while console players provided money for the dev. (and they don’t even complain getting the dumbed down game as much as pc crowds do!)

RTS doesn’t work on consoles and thus limited the genre’s budget. there’s much less RTS now than 10 years ago.

20. ybfelix

Say, Diablo 2, “more than 1 million units sold in the first two weeks of availability” and within a year, 4 million(wikipedia). When Diablo 3 came out I don’t think it can do too much better than that, yet the cost of making Diablo 3 must have gone up multiple times from D2. It’s Blizzard with its established franchise and fanboys we are talking, so money isn’t really a problem, but for a smaller studio trying make a title of similiar scope, expanding to console(much easier these days)would be highly tempting if not the only choice.

21. Dr.Haggard

Eidos Montreal are well aware of how highly both the Deus Ex and Thief games are regarded, and the concerns of fans about the ‘dumbing down’ both DE2 and Thief 3 suffered (although as has already been said both were still excellent games on PC in spite of those issues, especially Thief 3).

Personally I’m content to give them the benefit of the doubt and see what they come up with. I can’t wait to see what they’re doing with Thief.

22. Erthazus

@19 you played Total War? Limited Budget? You serious right?
    You know the game like World Of Warcraft?

Don’t compare Diablo 2 when it was like 10 years ago where games started to hit.

Diablo 3 or Starcraft will sell 10 millions without any problem.

18@ I have, with Steam for example and with Half-Life games that sells on PC like cakes.
    Maybe world Of Warcraft with its install base or it is not a videogame?

23. AHA-Lambda

PLEASE be amazing PLEASE!!!! Deus ex is my favourite game ever made after all!!

NOTE: i said amazing not “don’t suck”; yes I liked DX2. No it isn’t anywhere close to the first but it is still a good game on its own merits.

24. ybfelix

@22 Of course I played the darn total war. If you see past the grand scale, art asset & character models etc doesn’t go anywhere near a FPS or RPG of comparable importance. And I am refer the genre as a whole, say, why is Relic doing 40K instead of Homeworld 3? Cause the riskier sales aspect. And the point is, those you said pretty much can only work on PC so large proportion PC gamers crowded onto it. PC gaming may not have became smaller than it was, but it surely didn’t grow as much as the rest of industry. And how long can a publisher abandon “easy” money, just to make a point? I think it’s safe to say had consoles never become such a big business, the industry as a whole won’t be able to have today’s financial availability.