PS Move: LBP, EyePet and sports titles demoed live

Thursday, 11th March 2010 00:39 GMT By Johnny Cullen

move3

Sony’s shown off the first PlayStation Move games in San Francisco tonight, including old favourites and new content.

Beginning with a game called Sports Champions, a mode called Gladiator Duel was shown off. In it, the guy demoing the title fought an opponent with a hammer and shield, and was able to juggle the other fighter and do taunts. You can use two controllers with it.

Another mode from Sports Champions shown was table tennis. It has top-spin and back-spin, fast and slow shots, the kitchen sink. It looked great.

Next game shown was party game Move Party from Guildford-based Supermassive, showing augmented reality and face-tracking. The demo showed the player splatting bugs with a tennis racket, before painting lines with a paint brush. The next demo from the title showed haircutting, before the final section showed chicks being moved around with fans.

Sony then showed how an existing IP can utilize Move: LittleBigPlanet. The demo started off with manipulating objects with Move in the game, with one player moving stuff and the other being Sackboy, showing a fair bit of co-op. The demo also showed various ways to move Sackboy around.

Another IP that works with Move is Studio London’s Eyepet. A video was shown during the event, utilizing how the game works with the controller, from blow drying the pet and washing him. The game’s due in the US in holiday 2010.

A new fighter was also revealed called Motion Fighters, showing headlock moves, spin attacks and no-holds brawling with two men covered in lots of tattoos.

SOCOM 4 was shown finally, using the “Nunchuk” rumoured earlier this week. The entire game can be played with the new controller.

That’s your lot peeps. Get more from Steph’s liveblog here.

1. onlineatron

Sony Sony Sony….

2. OlderGamer

Epic Fail

3. killercow

I’m not a fanboy but it wasn’t really good at all… I hope natal will have a better showcase at e3

4. No_PUDding

Either your expectations were stupidly optimistic, or you were waiting to state that about the inevitable.

Either way, I am not here to defend Sony – I expected something hardcore,

5. killercow

@4 well i expected nothing but it felt too much like a wii rip off and the talk about “precision” (they said it like 40 times) it didn’t seem more precise than the wii motion plus at all.

6. onlineatron

I’m not trying to start (inevitable) flame wars… but, Microsoft seem far more in touch with what they need to do to impress the hardcore with Natal.

I expect sickenly awesome things from it at E3.

7. Psychotext

That made me laugh onlineatron. You think the hardcore response to this was harsh… you aint seen nothing compared to what people are going to say when MS demo more Natal stuff.

:lol:

8. killercow

@6 that would be really great, natal has some potential. Don’t forget the hardcore gaming!

9. DrDamn

@onlineatron
    Yeah like putting a chip in the camera to ensure it can be bolted on to existing/standard games with minimal overhead … oh wait.

I don’t doubt Natal will have some good hardcore uses but the removal of the processor was a mistake in my opinion.

As for Move – some shots are up on EG now. Not really sure what people were expecting them to show. They had a reasonable variety, party and more hardcore and some of it looks very nice. Nunchuk without umbilical looks nice too.

10. No_PUDding

I am with Psycho. I don’t think it will be worse for MS, or better.

But those of you thinking that Natal will have anything more than what we’ve seen here (unless you want to argue E3 production values) then start doing the disappointment dance now.

We’re pretty clueless with motion control. The one-up that Microsoft has in my opinion is that Natal you can use an existing controller. I love that.

11. Psychotext

Thing is DrDamn, Natal would have never worked with existing games. Try to picture how you’d play an RPG, FPS, TPS etc… it just doesn’t work.

The only good thing about that is that developers might have to come up with creative uses for the tech…

…we’re doomed. :D

12. No_PUDding

I dunno. They both seem either too ethereal, or too clunky.

I prefer ethereal, but theres no Natal on PS3.

Lets hope they both tank sales wise.

13. Psychotext

DEATH TO WII!
    DEATH TO WII!
    DEATH TO WII!

/founding member of the anti-waggle alliance

:D

14. OlderGamer

I don’t think Natal will be any better. Infact it might be worse. But, like this thing, I will take a wait see type thing into Natal.

Then roll my eyes and laugh.

Seems to me that if people want a Wii. They should just buy the Wii.

15. DrDamn

@PT
    Head tracking. Proven tech in PC games would be great in FPS, racing games & flight sims. As it is are devs going to add that if there is a significant CPU cycle impact? No they aren’t.

16. Psychotext

There’s no significant CPU impact for something like headtracking, nor most of the stuff you’d want like that. The impact is for skeletal tracking (the image recognition chips still remain in the camera).

…or in other words, all that bollocks where you’re flailing your arms and legs around.

17. OlderGamer

Geez, I don’t want head tracking in games.

I sneeze and blow up my squad in Battlefield.

Wife asks me a question, and I turn to answer her and crash into the wall.

I am still asking myself what will happen if someone needs to … um … scratch their nose while using Natal? Pause the movie? Skip ahead? Turn off the system? What?

Call me old fashioned, but I like controlers.

18. DrDamn

This Sports thing is all very Wii – fighting == fencing, archery and table tennis == well archery and table tennis. Having just watched some of the demos I’m more impressed though. The control in Table Tennis is a lot more precise than the Wii one (which I enjoy a lot). The fighting has a fair bit more depth too it too.

19. cookiejar

@17 Then stick with em ;)

Oh, and buy some tissues for the sneezing.

20. Michael O’Connor

“i expected nothing but it felt too much like a wii rip off ”

Maybe… because it is?

Next.

Interested to see what Natal shows off.

21. No_PUDding

The same kind of interested as this, but me too Michael.

There’s not much proven in this market (conceptually), so how Natal will blow everyone away, is beyond me, but somehow believeable to select others.

22. OlderGamer

To be honest, I just don’t understand why we need to reinvent the wheel.

Not like grandma will see the Move OR Natal and tell the grandkids to get out of her way so she can play some CoD or BF.

“oh, but Grannie will want to play Blagh-Blagh fitness or Blagh-Blagh Sport.”

Really?

You mean like she already does with the Wii she owns?

23. cookiejar

@22 I see where your coming from that both Natal and Move are the same thing, especially if you have a Wii.

Point is, not everyone does have a Wii. I don’t, and I know others who don’t.

So for less than $100 you can get this functionality and stick it into your PS3, without having to buy a Wii just for that element.

I guess im the only one who see’s sense in this for current PS3 owners.

24. Michael O’Connor

Don’t get me wrong. It looks fun. But it’s nothing the Wii can’t do just fine. That sports game was basically PS-Sports Resort.

My biggest problem is the constant promise of hardcore potential, but there was so little of that at the conference that it’s hard to believe it’ll genuinely live up to that possibility.

I’ll end up buying it regardless, simply because I don’t think gaming needs to be taken seriously all of the time.

25. bugmenot

wii motionplus isn’t true positionally aware, it doesnt know precisely where you are with respect to the screen. in wii sports resort sword fighting for instance, your sword stays fixed on the centre of the screen when you pivot the wiimote, when you slash the animation is canned. it is accurate but not precise enough to be sent to screen live. i believe Red Steel 2 uses the same technique. Shadowplay (wiiware) is a perfect example example of the limitation of motionplus – it can only be used for very precise tracking of rotational “on the spot” motion. compare that with the reaching into the screen manipulating objects demos for Move.

26. Newbie101

Impressive stuff, a Wii which works and can be moved around in 3D space.

27. Erthazus

@Michael, they showed FPS game and they proved it has a precision.

Lets fucking say that PS controller is a NES Rip Off Controller or Xbox 360 controller is a Dreamcast controller Rip off. They are just controllers for the god sake.
    Lets say that Natal is an EYEToy Rip Off. No? I’m not right?

Playstation Motion Controller is precise and you can make good games with it. I don’t see the apeal to the fighting games where i think Natal will be better (but i’m sure not going to play fighting games in my room.) You can use it for FPS for 100% i think you can use it for RTS games.

Natal since E3 2009 we saw stupid demos, some from them are not precise and lagging and were huge of hype. Until they will show something that is better then EyeToy (they already had enough time to show demos and nothing was impressive) for me its EyeToy but with slightly better technology that you can upgrade PS Eye with firmware update. After EyePet, Natal for me looks like a gimmick experience without buttons.

28. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Some of you are failing to see the big picture here.

I dislike the Wii due to the inferior graphics and poor game selection (according to MY tastes), and after having two 360′s fault on me, I became a PS3 owner.

I like the idea of motion control and would love to be able to play with it on my PS3.

Now we can. End of story.

29. frod

I thought they might show something genuinely interesting.

But it’s just recycled waggle.

Console gaming just lost a bit more IQ.

30. Michael O’Connor

“@Michael, they showed FPS game and they proved it has a precision.”

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption says hi.

“Xbox 360 fanboy? Definitely. you post too much shit about Sony when Microsoft basically Ripping off Playstation Eye, but YES its NEW and FRESH!!!!11111 *for you*.”

You must have missed my glowing praise of Heavy Rain, Uncharted 2, LittleBigPlanet, Demons’ Souls, the strength of Sony’s 2010 line-up and the far superior first party line-up on the console.

I can also recall numerous posts where I have criticised just how absolutely terrible Microsoft’s line-up of exclusive titles is this year, along with my regular bemoaning of the constant hype-driven spin Microsoft likes to do all the time.

Add to that, I have bought 2 360 games since the start of the year, and 4 PS3 games.

You also must have also completely missed the part where I actually enjoy casual games, unlike most stuck-up fanboys.

In fact, I quite clearly stated that whilst I was disappointed with their promise of core gamers being catered for to the degree that they were claiming, that I would still be buying it.

Because sometimes gaming doesn’t need to be serious, and there’s nothing wrong with a bit of silly fun.

It seems that every second week I become a fanboy of a different format. One week I’m a 360 fanboy for making a critical observation regarding Sony, and the next week I’m a PS3 fanboy for making a critical observation of Microsoft.

31. Michael O’Connor