Valve confirms PC, 360 release for Portal 2

Friday, 5th March 2010 19:22 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Portal 22

Wondering where the just-announced Portal 2 is heading to when it releases this holiday? Spoiler: not PlayStation 3. Surprise!

Valve’s Doug Lombardi has told Eurogamer the puzzler will a PC/360 release.

That’s despite the original Portal appearing on PS3 with The Orange Box in 2007, although that version was infamously handled by EA. Valve did development of the PC and 360 versions in-house.

The game was announced as the feature game for the next Game Informer earlier this evening.

1. Goliath

Wait for it . . . wait for it . . . fanboys’ reactions and Valve hate in 5, 4, 3, . . . I’m just going to run over to N4G.com and wait for comments to this article’s posting.

2. DJ Deathstar

Can’t wait for this, assuming this is for xbla? Unless their making it alot longer than the first etc and releasing it at retail. No matter what though i will buy!

Portal FTW!

3. Johnny Cullen

They’re making it far longer for a retail release.

4. NoxNoctisUmbra

First game was fun, but very easy and very short. puzzles were predictable as well. It was good it came with other games in the orange box… but as a stand alone title? not worth 20 bucks even.. so they need to create a 10+ hours of puzzling in the 2nd one

5. Bikki

AHAHAHAHAHAHAA

6. Monk

WTH with valve ??

7. Gekidami

I’m sure fanboys will show up, but not the ones you’re thinking of (see comment 5).

8. Dr.Ghettoblaster

You’d think they’d want to maximize their audience/sales and sell to all possible systems.

9. The Hindle

10. FeaturePreacher

@8 So are you saying Valve should make Portal 2 for Wii, DS, and ps2?

11. DaMan

and iPhone & PSP as well.

12. DJ Deathstar

And my penis…

13. Dr.Ghettoblaster

If possible? Sure!

Probably only possible on PC, X360, and PS3 though….

14. DaMan

15. theevilaires

AHAHAHAHAHAHA! all you PS3 fans getting excited about this should have known there won’t be a PS3 version. I stop paying attention to anything that said valve 3 years ago after those remarks for Jabba the Hutt.

I’ll make it my business to pirate Valve games only.

16. theevilaires

The Hindle said: Im amazed at this, making Portal for the Ps3 wouldnt be as hard making L4d for it. I think Valve just dont like the system at all.

17. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Sorry DaMan, I was answering #10′s question. :)

18. DeSpiritusBellum

Ouch. Although totally predictable.

@8 Valve don’t play by “the rules”, that’s why they have such a loyal fanbase. They’re probably one of the very few developers left who don’t allow their creative decisions to be governed by boardroom nonsense. They aren’t going to compromise their product just to rake in that extra fistful of dollars, and with Steam going the way it’s going, they can definitely afford to make those kinds of choices for the forseeable future. To the benefit of most gamers, I’d say.

19. Badger

@15/16

“What you think left 4 dead is a piece of art. Its utter garbage that any group of kindergarterns could do. Let’s see valve make a title like uncharted 2 on hardware that is inferior as Jabba the hutt said. All valve does is take modded code from the community and slap something together and sells it cause the have publishers that will back them.”

“I’ll make it my business to pirate Valve games only”

Funny, you almost made it seem like you didn’t want them anyway. Huh.

On Topic: Heeellll Yeah! Can’t wait!

20. Blerk

So much for those hints that they might be considering the PS3 finally. Seems a shame that they can’t farm the ports out to someone else, tbh.

21. No_PUDding

I agree, I’d really prefer not have to play this on PC. Ofcourse I will eventually, if it doesnt come to PS3, but as I say, I’d prefer not have to deal with Steam, and the complications a PC can bring again. It’s why I stopped using ht PC for gaming.

22. theevilaires

Badger I dont pirate games, but if I did and would it’ll be all Valve titles and I would give them out to my friends who have modded XBOX360′s for free.

Valve doesn’t mind if they don’t make as much money to develop for all consoles so why should they mind if I gave their game away for free.

OH BTW I don’t play Valve games and never will play another Valve game as long as I live. Only one I played was Half-life 1 for PS2 on my PS3 to get ready for orange box and it sucked cause the game controlled like a dumb ass PC game….just like lazy Valve to port code around while using the same shitty engine.

When Valve can out develop Naughty Dog then they are someone. Until then they are shit devs, who let their brain dead fans build their wack ass games through modding and they steal that and turn it into a shit release on a disc called Left 4 dead that is about 3 hours of play time for $60.

23. Retroid