No multiplayer for Vanquish, says Mikami

Friday, 5th March 2010 19:46 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Vanquish 2

Shinji Mikami has confirmed there won’t be any multiplayer for Vanquish when it releases this year.

The game’s director, speaking to Eurogamer, said the focus was rather on story then multiplayer.

“Vanquish is very intense, full of action. There are just so many things going on,” said Mikami.

“When you take that into a multiplayer environment, then you have to realistically consider shaving a lot of things off and putting them into your multiplayer environment.”

He further added: “It kind of boils down to whether you have the multiplayer but you don’t have that much impact, and end up being like everyone else. Or even below par.

“So that’s the main reason we’re keeping Vanquish as a single-player experience – to deliver the level of impact, the level of detail and the visuals we want to offer.”

The first details and screens for the game were released earlier this week, with Mikami confirming PS3 as the lead platform for the Platinum third-person shooter.

It’s out this winter for PS3 and 360.

1. FeaturePreacher

The lack of multiplayer in this shooter makes it a must buy, when it’s $30.00 or less.

2. DaMan

is this going to be like Armored Core games?

3. DJ Deathstar

I don’t mind this not having multiplayer as i’ll prob get it after launch and the online community would prob dry up fast and thus achievements would be unatainable :( lol

4. Bulk Slash

Good. I’m sick of games sticking MP in there just to tick a box. The game might look a bit like Halo, but hopefully it will have the unique style and gameplay that many of Mikami’s games are well known for.

5. theevilaires

Yea if it has no multiplayer then games should release at $50 at least right? I mean I pretty sure this game can’t top a single player campaign game like Uncharted 2, and that’s worth $60 for the single player alone.

6. Wizard

they just dont have knowledge for developing a netcode!
    simple.

7. Demiath

@theevilaires: Why on Earth should a game have to lower its price just because the developer didn’t split their resources between two very different game modes? No multiplayer means more focus on the singleplayer, and that’s equally worth paying for.

8. ruckus

+100 Demiath – that is all.

9. Phoenixblight

+200 Demiath.

Most of my single player games like Mass Effect, Dragon AGe, Square and Shin Megami games have seen more than 3 playthroughs. If you don’t like Single player games just don’t buy them. I will gladly pay the 59.99 for a single player game as long as the quality is good. I didn’t buy Uncharted 2 for the multiplayer, hell I haven’t touched the MP and the SP has seen more than 4 playthroughs.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

10. theevilaires

whoa whoa whoa, chill out. I didn’t say all single player only games weren’t worth $60 but you gotta be kidding me if you think a game like Vampire Rain is worth $60.

Darksiders has no multiplayer and is worth $60 to me all the way. So give me + 300 points YEA!???…

oh and is this another FPS? if so multiplayer is pretty common in games like this so my comment from before still stands pretty solid.

11. Phoenixblight

@TEA

How are they supposed to differentiate whats 60 and whats 40? If the game doesn’t sell then the publisher decides to lessen the price like EA did with Brutal legend or even THQ with Darksiders.

12. DJ Deathstar

@theevilaires

This is a 3rd person action game not a FPS

13. theevilaires

DJ thanks for clearing that up, so i guess no mulyiplayer isn’t a need really, but FPS are most common to have them all the time these days.

Phoenix- are you telling me you can’t just watch a game and tell if it sucks or not. You really have to play it? Brutal legend and Darksiders suffered from an early price cut because they were brand new IP’s and new IP’s have a hard time catching gamers eyes and attention.

Vampire Rain just sucked ass period. Do you agree?

14. Phoenixblight

@TEA
    Talking about in general like Publishers will of course push it out and want the full amount even if its a craptastic game. I, as an individual, know which games I want or don’t want.

Whoever developed and published Vampire Rain was an idiot enough said. Should have put that out on the PSN or XBLA for a fiver.

15. theevilaires

Agree with 100%

16. Demiath

@theevilaires: Even FPSs can be worth 60$ without multiplayer. The whole point is that it entirely depends on the quality of the individual game, not on whether it has this or that additional game mode. It’s your expectation that FPSs “must” have MP that’s the problem here.

17. theevilaires

You point is valid Demiath, but personally speaking I only started playing FPS a lot during this gen. Last gen I was on the PS2 mostly and FPS weren’t as popular on that system unlike shooterbox last gen.

I don’t recall any FPS last gen that was great enough only on the single player part alone that it didn’t warrant some kind of MP, off or online. Halo 1 was awesome but even that had an optional system link for MP.

18. Demiath

In terms of what singleplayer FPSs one has fond memories of, I think experience with PC gaming is an important factor. Sure, multiplayer began on the PC (and is arguably still more technologically advanced on computers) but the great era of singleplayer first person games was undoubtedly on the PC (games like Half-Life, Unreal, Deus Ex, No One Lives Forever etc.). Obviously, a lot of these either had or eventually got MP modes too, but that was not what made them great in the first place.

Whereras console shooters with great MP modes are nice (at least I think so; my Modern Warfare 2, Killzone 2 and GTA IV copies are all collecting dust on my shelf at the moment while I’m busy replaying great singleplayer-only games), a lot of us oldtimers really appreciate developers who don’t feel the need to squeeze a MP mode into their games just because younger players expect them to do so.