Sections

Internal Activision memo suggests talks between IW and EA

Thursday, 4th March 2010 20:57 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

shithittingthefan

Looks like a leaked memo from Activision may shed some light on the firing of former Infinity Ward execs Vince Zampella and Jason West.

Apparently, according to the note, the duo had been in “communication” with other publishers – including EA.

According to a G4 source, the memo, along with a list of documents currently being held for as evidence for the upcoming litigation between the execs and Activision, reads as follows:

  • Memo: “The Dispute involves West and Zampella’s management of IW, as well as the development and marketing of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (“MW2″), and potential subsequent games developed by IW. Activision believes that it has done nothing wrong and intends to vigorously defend any claims asserted by West and Zampella.”
  • “Documents regarding past, current or future IW projects, including but not limited to any and all businesses analysis of future projects (e.g. Modern Warfare 3)”
  • “Documents regarding any potential ‘spin out’ of IW, including but not limited to any communications with IW employees, West or Zampella regarding forming a new studio independent of Activision”
  • “Documents regarding West and Zampella’s communications with Activision’s competitors, including but not limited to Electronic Arts”

The full story leading up to all this can be found through here.

Details regarding the lawsuit are posted here and here, along with Activision’s response here.

Breaking news

7 Comments

Sign in to post a comment.

  1. Phoenixblight

    No Bueno

    #1 4 years ago
  2. Freek

    It goes back to the whole naming issue of Modern Warefare 2. They diden’t want CoD in there so they could regain control of the IP. They probably saw were Acti were going with it; turing out yearly sequals, spinning it off to other studios. And diden’t like were it was going.

    There was even an interview in dutch game mag Power Unlimmited where IW aparerntly refered to World at War as “that other game” and the sense of it was they did not like Treyarch at all.

    #2 4 years ago
  3. Goliath

    This is going to get nasty. Husband catches wife cheating, wife claims husband is abusive. Husband says “you get nothing!”, wife says “I want half!”. This is going to get very nasty.

    #3 4 years ago
  4. Freek

    It’s not that cutt and dry, the court documents make reference to interogations conducted by Activission that could verry easely be described as phycological abuse.

    #4 4 years ago
  5. Freek

    This’ll never make it to a verdict, it’ll be settled outside of court, quitly. So Activission can get back to running CoD into the ground. Infinity Ward will probably be closed down in another year or so with the leading developers going off to form their own studio.

    #5 4 years ago
  6. The Juice707

    Those sneaky bastards. I almost hope it is true just to sock it to Activision. I want Infinity Ward working with EA under Riccetello (or however you spell it).

    #6 4 years ago
  7. DJ Deathstar

    EA are rebooting MoH though, but like it says it wasn’t only EA, i’m sure they would have been in contact with Take Two as well. I don’t know though it seems West and Zampella really don’t want Acti raping CoD and might actually take this to court in order to try and stop it. Like Freek said as well it seems that IW have never been happy with Treyarchs involvement, if you play CoD 4 on the pc im pretty sure when the CD is in the drive its labelled as CoD 3 because they didn’t see CoD 3 as that. I think it all started when acti let Treyarch do CoD3 as IW didn’t want them getting to do a numbered game and only wanted them doing the shit spin offs like Big Red One etc

    #7 4 years ago