Rumour – Infinity Ward not paid royalties for Modern Warfare 2

By Johnny Cullen, Tuesday, 2 March 2010 15:10 GMT

modernwarfare27

According to a report from BingeGamer, Activision has not paid royalties to Infinity Ward over the success of Modern Warfare 2.

The article, citing sources “associated with Activision,” says it could be one of the big reasons why the studio had a massive face-off with the publisher today.

The report also says IW may have been looking for a new deal with another publisher, despite Activision buying the studio back in 2003.

It’s also thought the studio might have attempted to stop anyone other than IW developing the Modern Warfare series, as it partially owns the CoD series alongside Activision. According to that story, IW is contracted to Activision as a developer in an agreement that lasts until October this year.

Last we heard, Modern Warfare 3 could potentially be made by Acti upstart Sledgehammer, found by ex-Visceral heads Glen Schofield and Michael Condery.

Earlier this morning, a security detail team apparently showed up at the developer’s studio for unknown reasons. It was later discovered that Jason West, co-head of Infinity Ward, was no longer employed at IW.

Activision then filed with the SEC over “breaches of contract and insubordination” at IW.

Sometimes we include links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.

Comments

Headlines

Activision

Infinity Ward

Modern Warfare 2

  • Modern Warfare 3 Content Collection #1 hits PC May 8

    Modern Warfare 3 will finally arrive on PC next month via the first Content Collection. It includes four multiplayer maps, two Spec Ops missions, and basically all the content which hit Xbox 360 in January and March. The Content collection landed for PS3 players in April and those who play it on PC can expect […]

  • Judge rules against EA's request to dismiss Activision claims, suit goes to trial

    California Superior Court Judge Elihu Berle has dismissed EA’s request to dispel Activision’s $400-million contract-interference claim that the company underhandedly appropriated Infinity Ward heads Jason West and Vince Zampella while still under contract with the publisher.