Mirror’s Edge in development for seven years, says ex-DICE chief

Tuesday, 2 March 2010 08:32 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Mirror's Edge

Ex-DICE boss Fredrik Liliegren has said the studio’s most recent new IP, Mirror’s Edge, was in development for seven years.

Speaking with Gaming Union (via Kotaku), Liliegren said: “Knowing that product was in development for about seven years…and given that it wasn’t Mirror’s Edge when we started, but it was one team working on ‘the new IP’ for seven years, I think they did a strong final.

“They did something different that people hadn’t done before. I think it needed a second generation so they can tweak on it.”

The game was formally announced in 2007, with the first gameplay shown at PlayStation Day in May 2008. It got a release that year in November.

Sales for the game weren’t that great, despite critical success for the free-running actioner, with EA COO John Schapert saying recently the title failed because it never had enough support.

Regardless, EA Europe exec Patrick Soderland has already said a “small team” is already working on the sequel. Since then, it’s gone very quiet.