Report – Kotick scheduled to meet with Infinity Ward today

Tuesday, 2nd March 2010 20:04 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

bobbykotick2

Looks like Activision CEO Bobby Kotick has scheduled a meeting with the folks at Infinity Ward, and it’s set to happen in the next hour.

According to sources close to G4, Kotick will address development leads at IW around noon PST which is just over an hour away.

No word on what the meeting entails, likely it has something to do with the “insubordination” bit posted earlier which saw the departure of studio head Vince Zampella and CTO Jason West.

After Kotick is finished chatting with IW heads, there is to be a second meeting for the studio as a whole.

To get caught up on all that has happened throughout the day on this, hit the link above there.

Stay with us on this as more develops.

1. AHA-Lambda

Is there any way for us to find out what is going on? I would kill to be the fly on that wall.

It’s almost certainly IMO got to do with the future direction of the modern warfare IP.

2. Goliath

@ AHA-Lambda

“I would kill to be the fly on that wall.”

So would I buddy!

3. G1GAHURTZ

I reckon people are going to leave en masse.

Why else would Kotick himself be flying in for what looks like some sort of emergency meeting?

I’m pretty sure that IW are a pretty close bunch, as AFAIK, they’ve only had about 1 person leave in the last few years.

4. SunKing

He’s going to give them an offer they can’t refuse.

5. f1r3storm

Do they play the Imperial March when Kotick enters the room?

6. Stephany Nunneley

@5 :-D

7. Johnny Cullen

@f1r3storm I just applauded to that. Bravo sir. XD :D

8. Goliath

@ GIGAHURTZ

A studio can change management and still be sustainable if you can keep the core creative talents. He now has to sell the Infinity Ward guys on staying which shouldn’t really be hard. Like Jason Rubin said last week on the Bonus Round; 2 guys can’t walk into a major publisher and get the money to make a triple A game without an entire proven studio behind them regardless of pedigree. Looking at the economy, I doubt many at Infinity Ward would risk the uncertainty of no work regardless of loyalties and no one would blame them for that.

9. Goliath

@ f1r3storm

I met Bobby Kotick last February doing work for Forbes and he’s really a nice, affable guy. Not the demonic seed that most gamers picture him to be.

10. Freek

All serial killers seem like nice people when you meet them, that’s what makes them good: the ability to hide amongst the rest of us.

“He seemed like such a nice guy at the time.”

Then the murder dungeon is exposed…

11. Roughrider

Crazy. It was up to the senior management at IW to distribute the bonuses/royalties to IW employees. Now they are gone. I know what insubordination was all about…

Kotick: No, are restructuring the royalties for that title, which you are not going to see much of because of your pipeline and deadline issues- see this clause in the contract? It does not matter how many units you sold, we are not paying you jack…

IW: “Jumps across the table with kbar in hand”

Probably exactly how it went down, minus the kbar of course, but I’m sure it almost came to Kotick getting his ass whipped.

12. G1GAHURTZ

@ Gloiath:

What, you mean a guy who owes them probably tens (maybe even hundreds) of thousands of dollars in (the latest) bonuses walks in after having famously made $50m straight after the release of MW2 and you think that they’d trust him?

The guys behind IW have their name now, and I can’t see them sticking around with IP pimping Acti for a few thousand when they could be independent and raking in the millions that Kotick is making from their game.

You’d have to be pretty short sighted to give up the chance of forming one of the biggest independent developers with the ability to make it’s own deadlines and pays it’s own bonuses because Bobby Kotick told you not to…

13. theevilaires

This just in: G1GAHURTZ becomes the sole developer of MW3!
    The PS3 version will be vastly inferior :D

14. AHA-Lambda

Woah IW becoming independent and becoming like valve would be pretty damn sweet 8O

15. Roughrider

Oh, and Goliath, I’ve met bobby “douchebag” kotick as well. He is a piece of work. This guys bottom line is all about “me, myself, and I” and to that end, he is great at short term capitol strategies, but he is too shortsighted to see that his people and developers is where he needs to have his head at in the game for the long term prosperity of AV.

I’ll tell you this right now though, the backpeddling and refusal to pay royalties was not solely a BDK idea.
    ——-
    Everything regarding this news issue has EVERYTHING to do with the illegal withholding of royalties to IW.

16. G1GAHURTZ

@ tea:

LOL!

Yeah, it would be nice, but I’d have to move to San Francisco… (Let’s just say that I prefer London.)

17. SunKing

Christ, if anything IW needs reigning in, not let loose. It is completely unacceptable if Activision are withholding bonuses, though.

18. Eregol

I do hope that they deny him access to the building.

19. blackdreamhunk

People ask why people hate big cooperate companies. This is the kind of stuff console fanboys support! Here is the true colors of really big companies!

so who else wants to say mooo! lol

20. Goliath

@ Roughrider

Bobby Kotick is a businessman, he’s not the creative sought and you’re right. He does talk about how much Activision has grown and how much money they have made in conversation and takes most of the credit. LOL.

@ Freek

Funny shit!

@ G1GAHURTZ

Unfortunately, the business of making video games isn’t as cut and dry as that. I’m sure Activision has covered themselves contractually or they would not have filed an SEC complaint. If Infinity Ward thinks they’re owed more than they’ve received, as an internal studio, you’re not entitled to anything other than your salary. You trade bonuses for a steady income when you stop being independent. If Activision owns Infinity Ward, they own the IP and they own the name. Zampella and West would be starting with nothing other than their names and history and unless they have a fully formed studio with resources of their own, no publish is going to dump the money necessary for making a triple A console game into their laps. Not in this climate. Seriously, go watch last week’s Bonus Round over at Gametrailers. Jason Rubin got cut off a lot and misinterpreted and misquoted but it’s because he was talking to people who know nothing about the business of making video games, the daft Pachter and Shane and Geoff who don’t know jack shit.

21. Eregol

Ahh BDH is here.
    I was wondering when we’d get a proper conspiracy theorist.

22. Michael O’Connor

I’m reminding of that video that was posting here the other week, where Bobby Kotick has a live discussion with an audience.

In it, he talks about how, if you want to be party of a publishing company that respects its developer, their heritage, and their close knit design etiquette… you should come to Activision. If you wanted your company to fall apart, you should join “another publisher”… it was a cheap and transparent dig at E.A.

Reading about all this idiotic drama, I can do little but laugh at how much of a hypocritical asshole the guy is.

SECURITY KOTICK?! SERIOUSLY?! Get a fucking grip, you fucking lunatic.

23. DeSpiritusBellum

It’s gonna go something like this

Infinity Ward: “YOU KILLED MY FATHER!”
    Bobby Kotick: “No, L… Infinity Ward, I AM your father”

Join me, rule galaxy, yada yada, etc.

24. G1GAHURTZ

@ Goliath:

But I do, however, know the games industry very well having worked in it over the last nearly 9 years. All any publisher needs start ‘dumping millions’ is a working prototype of a top quality game. Believe me on that.

I once worked for a start up dev who left Codemasters because of bad working conditions, and now they (ironically in this context) are owned by Activision, who ‘dumped millions’ into the game of a few ‘unproven’ guys.

I can pretty much guarantee you that every single publisher in the world would fall over themselves to sign up the talent behined the biggest selling FPS in history.

Even if they didn’t, for whatever reason, I’m also certain that there are many, many private investors who would just love to take their place.

The guys at IW know how to make a game that can sell millions on it’s first day of release.

Who else can do that?

You’ve got critically acclaimed, high scoring games all over the place, yet they can’t even come close.

Like I said, the guys behined IW can start from scratch. They’ve done it before, so I’m sure that they’ll have no problem doing it again. They left EA, they can leave Acti, and the current econimic climate doesn’t really have anything to do with it when, if need be, you can pretty much walk into any dev in the world if you’ve got Infinity Ward written on your CV.

25. blackdreamhunk

@G1GAHURTZ

sorry to burstt your bubble it’s pc gamers that made infintay ward what they are to tech. All their best ideas came from pc gamers and modders

infintyward screwed pc gamers over satin is now screwing infity ward over!

actvision will soon get what’s coming

do on to others as you would do unto yourself

what goes around comes around

you sow what you reap!

the love of money is the root of all evil!

ininty ward say mmmooooooooo for me! lol

26. Stephany Nunneley

Ok seriously BDH it is satAn. Not satIn.

Satin is something a lady puts on for her man and vice versa – or something a bed spread or curtains are made of – unless there is a different version of the Old Testament out there I am unaware of written by Jackie Collins- in that case I would love to read it. Should be a blast.

27. DeSpiritusBellum

There’s a word for guys that put on satin. It’s a pseudonym for jolly.

That being said, I think it’s a tribute to Infinity Ward that they seem to bring out all the enraged geeks from across the world whenever they’re mentioned, in spite of basically rewrapping and updating the same game 5 or 6 times over. I forgot what Call of Duty we’re on.

28. Stephany Nunneley

It is confusing.

Modern Warfare 1 was COD4, yet World at War was just that with no number – yet ppl called it #5 any way.

So, is MW2 #6 and the new Tryarch one #7? Seriously. Just keep the numbers proper or drop ‘em all together. Maybe they are embarrassed by the numbers. Either case it is annoying and makes my OCD go haywire.

29. AHA-Lambda

@ 28 – LOADS of companies do this with movies, games etc. Once you get past number 3 or 4 they tend to drop the numbers as it is seen as a “barrier to entry” to the casual impulse buyer.

Only really japanese stuff keep number i.e. final fantasy, dragon quest etc.

30. Psychotext

Ok seriously BDH it is satAn. Not satIn.

You’ve ruined a in-joke that’s been going for nearly a year.

:cry: :( :cry:

31. blackdreamhunk

Yeahusa is in control! I had a talk with him about the gaming industry and he is now answering my prayer!

32. JonFE

@Stephany:

“Satin is something a lady puts on for her man and vice versa…”

Men wearing satin? Serioulsy?!? Hope it’s not like that episode of Friends where Joey puts a ladies’ underpants on…

:?

33. mojo

Report – Kotick scheduled to suck dicks for money today

34. Stephany Nunneley

@31 Sorry Psycho. :( I just could not take it anymore. I didn’t say anything about the others though – plus it won’t stop or matter anyway. lol. Just watch and see.

@33 Jon, I plead the 5th on that :-D