Sony details “fat” PS3 bug, aiming for fix “within the next 24 hours”

Monday, 1st March 2010 17:12 GMT By Patrick Garratt

ps3logo

Sony has issued a full status update on the crippling “fat” PS3 blog plaguing machines worldwide today, “caused by a bug in the clock functionality incorporated in the system.”

According to the following statement we just received from SCEE, the company is aiming to have the issue resolved in the next day.

As you may be aware, some customers have been unable to connect to the PlayStation Network today. This problem affects the models other than the new slim PS3.

We believe we have identified that this problem is being caused by a bug in the clock functionality incorporated in the system.

Errors include:
* The date of the PS3 system may be re-set to Jan 1, 2000.
* When the user tries to sign-in to the PlayStation Network, the following message appears on the screen; “An error has occurred. You have been signed out of PlayStation Network (8001050F)”.
* When the user tries to launch a game, the following error message appears on the screen and the trophy data may disappear; “Failed to install trophies. Please exit your game.”
* When the user tries to set the time and date of the system via the Internet, the following message appears on the screen; “The current date and time could not be obtained. (8001050F)”
* Users are not able to playback certain rental video downloaded from the PlayStation Store before the expiration date.

We hope to resolve this problem within the next 24 hours. In the meantime, if you have a model other than the new slim PS3, we advise that you do not use your PS3 system, as doing so may result in errors in some functionality, such as recording obtained trophies, and not being able to restore certain data.

As mentioned above, Please be advised that the new slim PS3 is not affected with this error. We are doing our best to resolve the issue and do apologise for any inconvenience caused.

For the latest status on this situation please check either the PlayStation blog (for SCEE: www.blog.eu.playstation.com/for SCEA: www.blog.us.playstation.com) or PlayStation.com.

As detailed in full here, first-gen PS3s have been smitten globally with an error message today, the result of a problem that prevents machines from connecting to PSN and puts them at risk of Trophy data corruption.

1. Redh3lix

Problem will rectify itself tommorow along with a placebo patch from Sony.

2. Michael O’Connor

I don’t understand exactly why people think it will magically fix itself tomorrow. The clock with still be out of whack.

Your phat unit will be messed up *regardless* of whether you turn it on or not.

3. Eregol

Mmmm placebos

4. Seraphemz

damn..and I got the day..looking forward to play heavy rain…

5. Erthazus

6. reask

Yeah moc I seen a thread on psn on which the starter was saying the clock only moves up.
    I am sure they will come up with something though.

7. Alakratt

AMAZING!! They are actually telling us NOT to use our PS3?! FUCK YOU SONY!!

8. daytripper

anyone else get the “WTF OMG” error when trying to sign in?

9. The Hindle

If they cant fix it they better do some sort of money back gurantee.

10. SplatteredHouse

Michael, how can the data alter from the last time it was switched on, if there is no power at all, to the unit?

11. Psychotext

The internal clock runs on battery power SH.

12. Michael O’Connor

“I think its not a big problem at all. Its not like your console RRODed, went apeshit or something like that… Its not corrupted your HDD, blu ray or something.”

All my themes are being listed as “Corrupted Data”. I remove to even so much as *load* a game simply for risk of losing my save data.

If this damage ends up being permanent, Sony can say goodbye to me. I don’t care how good LittleBigPlanet or Heavy Rain are.

13. G1GAHURTZ

Surely everyone deserves a second chance Michael?

14. SplatteredHouse

oh no. :( if all of them are affected, that’s no good.

15. Michael O’Connor

Unless they replace everything damaged? No. At least Microsoft replaces damaged 360.

Like I said, *if* this causes permanent damage to files and trophies. I’m not saying it *will*.

16. Robo_1

What would you prefer, that they try to save face and say just use your PS3 as usual. Somebody at Sony fucked up, this is a huuuuge error, but I don’t see what more they could realistically be doing to fix the problem.

Hopefully they’ll give away an old PSN game as compensation, after the fall out.

17. daytripper

@michael is that your website? very nice indeed

18. Michael O’Connor

@michael is that your website? very nice indeed

Yes it is. Thank you.

19. Quiiick

@ 11
    Sure, but that doesn’t mean that any data gets altered or corrupted permanently. By not turning the console on, you make sure, nothing will be written to your hdd.

20. daytripper

no problem, the game store report stating they are refusing to accept fat ps3′s is a tad concerning.

21. theevilaires

I say reset the system 5 activations and everyone start all over with 0 trophies and brand new slims for all existing PS3 owners with a free copy of Uncharted 2 or God of War 3.

22. Robo_1

MS may replace damaged 360′s, but they don’t want to know about the games it scratches to buggery. A friend of mine lost a copy of GTA4 because of it, MS were complete pricks about it too, wanting to charge him for the drive repair and refusing to do anything about the game it destroyed.

23. theevilaires

the 360 has so many issues its not funny man, but this stuff with sony is like doomsday. Every PS3 going out on the same day spells OMEGA disaster. Don’t be shocked if the sky ripped in half by tonight.

24. MushroomStamp

Bullshit, you’re just a hater. I don’t have any issues with any of my 360′s. and For the record I had to replace my PS3 twice because of hardware failure.

25. theevilaires

and we are all suppose to believe that coming from a die hard XBOT who pirates 99.2% of his games…..yea ok

26. Gekidami

One hater calling another hater a hater. Its almost poetic.

27. daytripper

if someone went up to me and called me a “xbot” i wouldnt know what to do, probably giggle i suppose.

28. MushroomStamp

Pirating has NOTHING to do with this.. and I’m not an Xbot.. just an anti-fanboy. I’m a gamer not a consoler. and for the record, I have purchased 18 games in the last 3 months.. just for the PC.. and I can easily pirate those.. but i don’t.. I always buy games that are good.. but being a gamer my whole life, I got tired of being raped by companies shoveling their shit products at the expense of my wallet. SO, if the game is great, i buy it. Maybe if they allowed you to return games that suck ass or only take a few hours to beat, I wouldn’t pirate games.

29. Michael O’Connor

My site has been receiving reports that this problem *does* have a chance of affecting Slim units: http://www.thegamingvault.com/2010/03/ps3-slims-not-safe-from-current-ps3-problems/

(You can complain about me spamming later. =P )

30. The Hindle

You get called an Xbot as all you do is criticise the Ps3. Its not the first time ive seen you do it.

31. Kerplunk

I’ve been following this news with interest all day. I think I can bear to live without switching on a particular console for 24 hours without threatening to murder someone or issue a lawsuit. The alarmist reactions (not always surprising thanks to stories constantly being sensationalised) is, well, alarming.

Gekidami, your comments have been an island of sanity in a sea of madness.

32. daytripper

@30 what did people call people who criticised the zx spectrum?

33. Phoenixblight

Nice way to justify pirating. You could always rent games.

34. Newbie101

What a storm in a teacup! Just a date thing and it will be fine tomorrow.

I guess Sony will do a patch just in case it happens again but at least non-internet connected people will be OK!

35. reask

At the end of the day shit happens.
    Once they sort it it is not a problem.
    I reckon Sony are pretty annoyed about this as it would appear to be human error.

36. reask

@ MOC
    Mine worked earlier on today but I reckon I will leave well enough alone until tomorrow just in case.

37. OlderGamer

For what it is worth, my first launch ps3 died.

My launch xb360 died.

Replaced them both.
    MS refurbed my 360.
    I ate the price of the PS3, spent another 600usd on the one that is having trouble now.

I say they are both pieces of crap. All manufactured at the lowest possible price point by Chinesse labour.

Truth be said, if your a gamer in todays world replacing system hardware needs to be factored into the cost of your hobby.

I am still own my first SNES, GEN, Jag, Atari 2600, NEO GEO, TG16(and CD attachment). I don’t think I could kill my Gamecube if I tried. And dare I say it – my Wii is still going strong no matter how many hours the wife plays sports or WiiFit.

I have a feeling I will replace both the XB360 and the PS3 again before it is all said and done.

It is just that they cost too damn much for this type of garbage to be ok.

It almost makes me want to play PC full time.

38. Erthazus

@Michael… Dear Michael. I understand, maybe you went apeshit after what you saw, but Sony is not responsible for your lost data or themes that are being listed as “Corrupted Data”. The thing is that someone at Sony Computer Entertainment fucked really hard as someone fucked up with the Xbox 360 hardware design.

Every time when you buy some electronics device you must be ready for this kind of shit.

Michael can i ask you a question? Of course you never had an error with Microsoft Windows or other software device that fucked your entire system and files?

THEY ARE NOT PERFECT and in Sony, Microsoft interests to make a consumer happy and they are trying really hard to do this shit right!

39. Gekidami

New post from Muster Buster:
    Seems that he’s got wind of people wanting to remove the internal clock battery.

40. MushroomStamp

@30 I like my PS3, I merely stand up for the belief Xbox live is better and so is the controller. I don’t bash the ps3, I just have hate fandboys and merely make points of the PS3 inferion online and controller. I have things I don’t like about the 360 as well.. but I rarely see the 360 guys talking smack. YOU people take things as hatred toward the PS3 when it’s not. I merely recognize the weakness in the platform and refuse to be a fanboy that thinks its’ a perfect system. I blindly follow nothing.. especially a company that doesnt’ even know you exist.

@33 Renting games does not get the money to the developers. There are other reasons I USED to pirate. I started cracking games since TRS-80 comptuers for fun. I was into the code cracking and DRM circumventing.. it was challenging and fun.. These days I don’t do that stuff anymore, no time. These days I only pirate games because of being raped companies too many times. I have no shame or guilt in this. Especially since QUALITY games STILL get my money. You may now get off your high-horse.

41. Dr.Ghettoblaster

***

I’d like to know if 10-30 years from now I can pull out my PS3 and play the games I paid for (WITHOUT an internet connnection or network support) just like we can do now with all systems since Atari2600 days…

Cause this incident is NOT a good sign.

***

42. Gekidami

Its the internal clock error stopping you from playing offline, not the fact that you are offline. I’ve seen a few people on other forums saying that they’ve never connected/havent connected thir PS3′s to the internet in a long time and have had no problems playing today, even the likes of Heavy Rain.

Ofcourse if you really want to be sure, then once this problem is fixed, disable internet on PS3 and try booting up a game.

43. AHA-Lambda

Pachter has chimed in =D

44. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Well hopefully this internal clock error will not happen again 10-30 years down the road (you know, nostalgia/retro gaming itch) and cause our systems and games owned to be completely useless.

45. hitnrun

The scratched disk thing DOES happen and Microsoft reps ARE cocks about it, as I can attest (hasn’t happened to me but to my brother and several friends). However, it is not strictly speaking their fault, since it only happens if you move the system and instructions explicitly warn you not to. It’s a symptom of the fragility of these computers (which is what they are now) meeting the cavalier habits of gamers who are used to more rugged, less intricate devices.

It’s still bad customer service to not replace a 10 cent disk. They could ask for the originals back, which have authentication marks and serial numbers, and charge a modest fee.

As for Sony…man. If the end result of this is just a couple days without PSN, it won’t amount to anything, for all the strife on blogs, except a touchstone in fanboy arguments. But if it results in bricked consoles or lost gamesave date, it will be the end of their fucking universe. In my observation, this seems typical of Sony. MS’s problems are from cutting corners – deliberately – not from the complete fucking technical incompetence that regularly emerges in PSN patches.