Splinter Cell: Conviction on PC will use Ubisoft’s new DRM

Friday, 26th February 2010 23:04 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

splintercell

Looks like the PC version of Splinter Cell: Conviction will use Ubisoft’s DRM system like Assassin’s Creed II, The Settler’s 7 other new titles soon to be released.

Might has well figure all Ubisoft PC titles will have it from here on out too, according to a rep from the company.

Splinter Cell popped up on a list of games using the DRM given to PC Gamer (via Shack) and other titles included: Silent Hunter 5: Battle of the Atlantic, Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands, and the Ghost Recon currently in development.

“It’s hard for us to say, yes, from now until the day that we all die all of our games are going to include this but most will,” said a Ubisoft rep to PC Gamer.

When the news broke that Ubi was ditching it’s old Starforce DRM for a newer system, folks seemed happy at first. Apparently, the love has died down a bit, due to the need to always be online while playing.

Splinter Cell: Conviction hits shops April 13 and 16 in the US and UK, respectively.

More through the links.

1. Erthazus

I’m not buying this game to enjoy piece of crap system.

Ubisoft must realize that someone who pirated games will still not buy it no matter what system someone have.

Use motherfucking PR for PC games not stupid systems that ruins PC gaming experience. Blizzard and Valve sell games and they don’t have problems with it.

2. SunKing

Good luck with that.

3. onlineatron

‘Yes Bob i’m receiving news now that preorders for the video computer game Splinter Cell: Conviction have just increased ten fold on the video entertainment system platform the Microsoft XBOX Three Hundred and Sixty’

‘Well Steve that is a truly incredible increase, what do you believe may have been the root of such a spike’

‘Bob… Bob, sources indicate that the videogame publisher Ubisoft, one of the largest publishers in the industry, has just decided to forced maniacal Digital Rights Management onto the Personal Computer variant of Splinter Cell: Conviction’

‘Well…. that’s just hogshit crazy’

4. ShiroGamer

:D

still not a fuckin penny from me

5. Tamo123

Well I was going to buy this. Key word ‘was’.

If Ubisoft are trying to push PC gamers to consoles it sure as hell isn’t going to work with me. There are plenty of other PC game developers who are releasing titles this year which look much more interesting and actually deserve my money.

6. Hunam

Looks like another splinter cell I’ll be skipping then.

7. SplatteredHouse

nice, onlineatron. :) No-sale, Ubisoft.

8. DeSpiritusBellum

Ditto on the naysaying. This one was a maybe for me, but I think I’ll get a game from a publisher that actually rewards paying customers instead.

The real killer for me is Silent Hunter V. I’ve been looking forward to that since… Silent Hunter IV, which was broken enough to begin with.

9. RGW1982

@ 5

It’s Mostly About Piracy I Believe.. And Pushing The 360 On PC Gamers A Bit, But I Think It’s Hilarious. :)

Microsoft Is Still Trying To Keep The 360 Boat From Completely Sinking, Natal’s Failure Will Sink The 360.

10. Phoenixblight

This is an Ubisoft decision not Microsoft. Get over yourself.

11. hitnrun

This would be a merely a bad PR decision if the countermeasures worked.

The fact that the game is still going to be available to pirates within the same week – without the objectionable impediments to use – is what makes it a skull-smacking, epically stupid act of malice and spite.

12. RGW1982

@ 10

You’re Retarded If You Think Microsoft Couldn’t Influence Ubisoft’s Decision, Completely Retarded.

13. M337ING

I’m still buying this because I’m afraid that low sales will justify a decision by Ubisoft to stop releasing Splinter Cell games on the PC. I’d rather have a few games with intrusive DRM than no games at all.

14. Keivz

DRM has always been wholly transparent to me once the game’s been installed. I doubt this will be any different. I’ve never been a big fan of SC. I will be getting AC2 though. If this stops piracy, fantastic. If not, can’t blame them for trying.

And as for pushing PC gamers to consoles… if they wanted to do that then they wouldn’t develop the game at all, so don’t be daft. They’re just trying to protect what’s theirs.

15. TraceableX

Phoenixblight was right.

AND DO NOT RIGHT LIKE THIS WAY : “It’s Mostly About Piracy I Believe.. And Pushing The 360 On PC Gamers A Bit, But I Think It’s Hilarious”

What, are you retarded-shithead?

16. RGW1982

@ 16

Go Suck Phoenixblight’s Dick Somewhere Else Fagot.

And It’s “Write”, Not “Right”.. You Dumb Shit.

17. No_PUDding

You are unecessary.

There’s always someone.

18. Joe_Gamer

Ubisoft won’t be getting any of my money, too bad so sad.

19. loki

LOL Another try to fight piracy on PC. No chance. Only spend money for nothing. Only way to win piracy on PC – not make PC port. Ubisoft, start use brain, not ass

20. endgame

w8 a sec. Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands is not a pc title. how can it include DRM?

21. Kalain

I’m not a big fan of DRM, but as long as it doesn’t affect my PC in how it runs, then I’m not bothered. Ubisofts DRM is draconian to say the last and isn’t the greatest way of dealing with downloaders to say the least.

The DRM probably won’t reduce the amount of sales on the PC by much since most people generally don’t read news sites like this one, so most companies can get away with horrific DRM like this one.

Loki, you do realise that, if the PC games market dies, the console market will follow it don’t you? Afterall the GPU Manufacturers get the vast marjority of their income from selling to PC owners.

22. blackdreamhunk

Ubisoft never like pc gamers and I will not be suprised to see them go bankuprt like interplay and midway! they had their game devs trash talking pc gaming at one point. The more I read the more the gaming Industry makes me sick. I am not going to by Ubisoft junk!

23. absolutezero

Can’t wait for Ruse to come out and completely flop on the platform it was built for.

24. RoarrrUK

@RGW1982
    If you’re going to spot errors, then why do you capitalise the first character of every word that you write? Is it the new *cool*?

25. Tamo123

How is this for DRM? Every single file on the game disk is linked to each other with an error check. While you are installing you have to be connected to the internet so that Ubisoft’s servers can constantly contact the error check to make sure that all files on the disk or the files being installed have not been modified. If they have been modified (i.e. pirated), the installation stops directing you to buy a legal copy.

If for some reason you lose the internet for a while, the installation simply pauses warning you that while your internet connection is lost it will simply pause until you are reconnected. If you safely install without problems, you get the benefit of not having to use the disk and from then on DRM doesn’t play into the game in ANY way, just the installation.

I could live with that quite happily, what about everyone else?

26. Tamo123

Oh, I am well aware that you crack the game afterward, and the error check constantly runs without connecting to Ubisoft after the game is installed, but runs locally on your machine being tied to every file the game needs to run. If it has been modified then the game doesn’t run. Simply as that.

27. Tamo123

If the error check is disabled, then the files do not run, resulting in your game failing. The only way to crack it, is to crack every file on the disk prior to installing, if I’m thinking right? Sorry just woke up.

28. SunKing

“Ever since announcing its unusually stringent DRM solution for PC games, which requires players to maintain an internet connection throughout gameplay

That’s the part people are mostly getting pissed off about.

29. Bulk Slash

@Tamo123 It’s a good idea, but if the file containing the CRCs is held locally after install, then you just need to modify that file first before modifying any of the other files on the system. That’s how hacks/mods to Xbox 360 games often work.

There will never be a 100% secure system, anything you encrypt still needs to be decrypted before the CPU can execute it, which means there will always be a decrypted copy of the game in memory. Preventing piracy is impossible, all Ubisoft are doing is pissing off paying customers. The pirates will be able to download a fully unfucked copy of the game within hours of release of course.

I have no intention of buying any of the games that have this DRM. I was planning on getting Assassin’s Creed II so I could play it on my laptop, but since it requires a constant internet connection it’s just not going to work any time I’m away from my Wifi router at home.

30. hitnrun

The game will probably be available day and date on your favorite torrent site. Earlier if the street date is broken.

Even if it does inconvenience pirates slightly or delay the release a couple days, so what? The problem with the “if you can hinder piracy just a little…” line of thinking is that you’re not gaining any sales by doing so.

31. David

Run for the hills not another piracy argument……………

32. TraceableX

“”"”"”"”"”"”@ 16″”"”"”"”"”"”"”

Go Suck Phoenixblight’s Dick Somewhere Else Fagot.

And It’s “Write”, Not “Right”.. You Dumb Shit.
    ———————-

Good thing you was talking to your-fucking-self

33. DarkElfa

^+1000000 troll at work. Seriously RGW1982, just stop talking, you can’t win the web no matter how hard you try, especially if you keep tossing around words like “nOOb” and “fag” like they add to your cool factor. Also, grammar Nazi activity is boring and you’re derailing the topic with your lame insult machine. Grow up or shut up, preferably the latter.

Oh, and I’m sure you’ll be tempted to respond to this post with what passes in your brain for a snappy retort but don’t waste your time, it’ll just make you sound like more of a douche as if its possible and end up proving my statement even more correct not to mention coming off as depraved and desperate to be taken seriously which will not happen so just cut your losses and move on.

34. RoarrrUK

too much.

35. DarkElfa

Posting your family photos will get you no where RGW1982.

Also, try using the word “fag” some more, I don’t think you’re coming off as enough of a homophobic child yet. ;)

36. DarkElfa

Wow and you call my retorts lame. Whats next, the old “I know you are but what am I” routine? Go take your teen angst out somewhere else and stop blaming us because your parents won’t talk to you anymore.

37. TraceableX

Posting your family photos will get you no where RGW1982.
    ———-
    ROFL

RGW1982′s next post:

You Are Retarded. You Are Fagot.

38. DarkElfa

You win. Using the word “fag” more than 6 times in one comments section is win by default, sorry I challenged your authority.

39. mington

your mothers cries as i raped her from behind were what?

sorry couldn’t help myself

40. DarkElfa

You sure have a thing with education which I find particularly amusing coming from someone who screams fag and retard at every every chance they get like a 14 year old escapee from 4chan.

41. DarkElfa

OK, I’m bored with this now. Moving on…