Report – GTA IV is the most expensive game ever made

Thursday, 25th February 2010 07:26 GMT By Johnny Cullen

gtaiv20

According to a report from Digital Battle, Grand Theft Auto IV is the most expensive game ever made.

Budget for the Rockstar North title came in at $100 million before its release in April 2008.

Second came Gran Turismo 5 with $80 million spent, while Shenmue came third with costs of $70 million.

The top five is rounded off by Too Human and Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, which both came in at $60 million+ and $60 million respectively.

The full list is through the link above.

Thanks, Kotaku.

1. Gekidami

This was already a pretty well known fact…

2. JimFear666

woah thats surprising to see that gt5 cost 80 millions to do.

3. Captain Fruitloop

$60 million for Too Human, and then straight into the bargain bins. Ouch.

And $80 million for a PS3-only driving game just sounds mental.

4. Gekidami

Its interesting to see that MS spent $200 million on marketing for Halo 3. I wonder if they ever turned a profit from the game.

5. Blerk

I can’t quite believe anyone could spend $200 million on marketing a game! That’s fucking ridiculous!

6. Ianman

100 million for GTAIV?? I didn’t know that. I still play it often. Love that game! Looking forward to GTAV

7. Bulk Slash

Shenmue was worth every penny Sega spent on it. It’s just a shame Yu Suzuki has barely been let near a development team since.

8. The Hindle

I found out last night that Halo 3 has sold 8m copies thats impressive.

9. Razor

Kaz said the budget for GT5 was $60 million…I’m not sure I believe these numbers at all.

10. soylent_grey

Not to sound like a blow-hard, but is there a single source for any of these statistics? Why on earth is everyone linking to this non-story?

11. Phoenixblight

The only reason why GTA4 cost that much is because Rockstar was developing the engine for future GTA atleast until next gen console. They will be using the same engine for GTA5.

12. Goliath

@ Gekidami

Are you kidding? Halo is a multimillion dollar entertainment property. The game is already over 10 million sold but the real success is the merchandising. Toys, books, etc. I’m looking at the Brute Chieftain action figure on my desk right now. It generated 350 million dollars in revenue its launch week.

13. Gekidami

Kojima Productions’ Kenichiro Imaizumi has debunked this:

Wonder what other figures are wrong then.