Black creator: Latest shooters are “fucking boring”

Wednesday, 24th February 2010 11:15 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Black

Stuart Black, senior designer on EA Criterion’s Black, has told OXM that the latest shooters on the market are “fucking boring”.

“There’s a lot of cover-based shooters out at the moment,” said Black. “But when a guy hunkers down behind something, you’ve just got to sit there and wait for him to pop his head up.

“Pops up, couple of bullets to his head, pops back down again… and I’m waiting for him to pop back up again?

“Fucking boring. I can’t be bothered hanging around like that.”

Recently, Black joined a new studio formed by Codemasters in Guildford, where he and a team, which includes ex-Black Rock and SCEE devs, are working on a new shooter for the company.

It’s unknown yet what the title is, but both OXM UK and OPM UK are due to cover it in their next issues.

1. Gekidami

So what? In his next game all the enemies are just going to stand on the spot shooting at you?

2. Gheritt White

At least he’s opinionated – I’ll be keeping an eye on this, so far I like the cut of Mr Black’s jib.

3. Whizzo

“But when a guy hunkers down behind something, you’ve just got to sit there and wait for him to pop his head up.”

Or you could do something called “flanking”.

4. Mrkk27

3. = win.

5. Ianman

I really wanted to play Black al those years ago but never got a chance :(

6. mington

i felt killzone 2 suffered from this

but it’s all dependent on the AI, if an enemy is popping up and down in the same spot thats just poor programing

i didn’t come across this in uncharted 2, MW2 or even mass effect 2

he’s obviously just been playing some bad shooters, get with the times Stuart Black

7. Yoshi

He obviously hasnt played Bad Company 2 PC BETA ;)

8. Tonka

Heh, n00b. Wouldn’t last 2 seconds in a real fight amirite?

9. daytripper

he’s right, the first person shooter genre is boring especially multiplayer

10. Blerk

I remember them saying something like this about ‘Black’ – it was the shooter for people who didn’t like shooters, who wanted to just get into it instead of doing all the boring stuff. And then when I tried the demo I discovered that if I didn’t spend 90% of my time hiding behind a wall I got cut to ribbons. So…. what do you say to that, Mr Boring? Eh? :-D

11. mington

only boring people get bored ;)

12. absolutezero

That might be because you were rubbish at Black though Blerk.

Flanking is only possible when the environment allows it, in something like Rainbow Six most of the time was spent sending your guys down the sides of rooms to their deaths. Mass Effect 1 was criminal for this but two really freed up the biotic powers so cover is not really much of a defense anymore.

13. Blerk

How dare you, sah! :-D

14. Robo_1

Nice of him to piss on many of his colleagues work. Let’s see how his new shooter fares.

15. onyxbox

i didn’t come across this in uncharted 2, MW2 or even mass effect 2

you are joking right?

KZ2 on Hard had f’ing cool AI that moved around a lot etc. really kept you on your toes. But the king of good AI (from memory) was F.E.A.R (the first one).

Halo games are very good too but I find the lack of enemy numbers a bit boring in Halo games (music’s pumping, nothing much to shoot most of the time).

16. szaromir

For what it’s worth, Black was fucking boring as well. Although the cover mechanic got old a long time ago, so I agree with him on that front.

17. Grimrita

he probably played OFP2

18. NGCes26294BIV

I really don’t understand why any of you are jumping on his comment in such a literal way – This is clearly part of a larger feature from OXM, and I’m more interested in seeing what else he said to justify this, rather than getting hung up on whether it means his new game will have terrible AI or not.

19. endgame

he has a point. this is what can happen in shooters like mw2. that’s too generic. now Yoshi has a point with bfbc2. there u can just blow the fuck out of the guy along with the wall or w/e he is hiding behind. then again bfbc2 is not out again so Mr. Black’s statement stands. :)

20. Zarckan

feck me, he gets a game named after him and thinks he’s god’s gift to FPS’

TWAT!

To be fair, he’s right, however, his game was still a bag of wank.

21. polygem

yeah black! give us a shooter where everyone hiding for cover has to instantly wear a pink chicken costume!

22. Michael O’Connor

“I really don’t understand why any of you are jumping on his comment in such a literal way.”

Because its the internet, and people like to bitch and whine like know-it-alls about things taken completely out of context, as if it was some giant statement shouted from the roof-tops instead of the tiny quote from a much broader piece of writing, as this and most other quotes almost unanimously are.

It’s called sensationalism, and people fall of it hook, line and sinker.

23. Stephany Nunneley

@15 – I agree. I played a bit of Killzone 2 and I thought the AI was really top notch. Every game has a bit of stupid AI in it at some point or another – not all enemies move around perfectly – or they just trace the same path time and time again.

There were very few instances (if hardly any at all) of this in KZ2, that I personally came across. Then again – I kept getting my ass handed to me around the 3/4 mark and had to put it away for a while before I broke something – so from that point on I have no idea. :-D

24. RGW1982

MW2 & Bad Company 2 Are Both Fucking Boring Because They’re Both Made For Little Kids & You FPS nOObs That Play Them.. I Bet He Wants FPS Made For Adults Not These Kiddy FPS Games You Dorks Play.

25. Michael O’Connor

So tell us, Oh Capitalising One, what is a “hardcore” FPS?

26. RGW1982

Soldier Of Fortune: Payback, Rainbow Six: Vegas 1 & 2, Resistance: Fall Of Man (R2 Fuckin Blows), Brothers In Arms: Hell’s Highway, Operation Flashpoint, Call Of Juarez, Medal Of Honor.. These Are All FPS Games Aimed Towards Adults, That’s Why Most These FPS nOObs & Little Kids Hate Them, I Guarantee There’s Not A CoD Player That Could Go Head To Head With Me In Soldier Of Fortune, They Would All Get Destroyed (I’ve Already Proven This To A PSN Friend Before)

Kids Games Are CoD 4, CoD:WaW, MW2, Bad Company 1 & 2, Battlefield 1943, MAG, Killzone 2‚ The Punisher: No Mercy.. All Them Games Are Fucking BORING To Adult Gamers That Aren’t FPS nOObs, Playing A CoD Game Is The Equivalent Of Play Any Of The Old Super Mario Bros Games But With Auto Jumping, Games Are Just Too Fucking Easy These Days & Games Like CoD Just Make Them Even Easier, It’s Pathetic.

27. Michael O’Connor

Resistance: Fall Of Man – Terrible
    Rainbow Six: Vegas 1 & 2 – Terrible
    Call Of Juarez – Absolutely Terrible
    Medal Of Honor – Mediocre

The fact that you didn’t even list Team Fortress 2 amongst your choices tells me everything I need to know, frankly.

28. Mike Honcho

Funny …. I’ve completed Black a few years ago & found nothing special with that shooter.

I liked Killzone 2 (and to some extent the 1st one), Resistance 2 & the older Medal Of Honor games.

I’ll be on the lookout for this guys next shooter …. for his sake, lets hope its not rated 5/10 (FUCKING BORING).

29. RGW1982

Team Fortress 2 Isn’t On My Console Is It, So Why Would I Name It?

“Resistance: Fall Of Man – Terrible
    Rainbow Six: Vegas 1 & 2 – Terrible
    Call Of Juarez – Absolutely Terrible
    Medal Of Honor – Mediocre”

That Right There Shows Me How Much Of A Dumb Ass You Are, You Call Call Of Juarez & Resistance Terrible But Medal Of Honor Mediocre When Medal Of Honor Barely Even Made The List, HA.

Rainbow Six: Vegas Is Too Hard For Most Players So I Understand Why You Don’t Like It But Playing On Realistic Difficulty Offers More Of A Challenge Then Any Of Those Little Kid FPS You Play Ever Will, I Bet You Couldn’t Even Clear A Terrorist Hunt On Realistic Difficulty Simply Because You’veBeen Playing Them Kiddy FPS For So Long.