First 10 minutes of English FFXIII revealed

Monday, 22nd February 2010 21:08 GMT By Johnny Cullen

ffxiii

The first ten minutes of the English version of Final Fantasy XIII are now live

No Japanese. Just plain English.

Get it over at MSXbox-World. Still the same old introduction we know, but ever so slightly easier to understand.

Earlier, Square Enix released videos showing off the PS3 and 360 collector’s editions for the game. Look at them videos spin. Topsy turvy.

The game’s out on March 9. Only two weeks from now, innit.

1. Enkeixpress

… Ahhh, I was hoping that this video would convince me to get the game, But sadly it has failed. :(

I hadn’t a single clue about who these characters were, what they were doing & why they were doing what they were doing.. all through the entire video.

Quite a shame, Square Enix won’t be getting my money, It seems.. *shrugs*

2. Gekidami

Windows media video are impossible to stream.

3. daytripper

looks no where near as bad as some people are making out, especially those on the likes n4g.com and nowgamer.

4. Johnny Cullen

Hmm…

5. daytripper

(braces himself for pixel wars)

6. Moonwalker1982

This is the PS3 version though.

7. daytripper

(looks for green A button on PS3 pad)

cant find it, back to binoc kills on warhawk for me, its going to get messy around here, someother forums have already exploded into a full scale war.

8. furby

I’ve never seen any multiplatform game have a cross-platform disparity as severe as people on the internet have made out. These so called ‘night and day’ differences only exist under the extreme (and usually second-hand) scrutiny of a 60th-of-a-second platform fanboy who believe a muddy texture or 29fps instead of 30fps is the same as the end of the world. The notion that this sort of critique only travels in one direction, has only recently started, or is practiced by one faction and not another is the most telling aspect of all.

All that said, if counting pixels is how those ‘in the know’ are choosing to play games these days then I’d say they’re completely missing the point of the passtime.

9. mescalineeyes

#8 clearly has not played Bayonetta.

10. Retroid

Or played the demo of Brothers in Arms – Hell’s Highway.

11. Michael O’Connor

Could this rip off FFVII any more than it already has? From those first ten minutes… clearly.

12. PlanetXbox360

Check out the first 10 minutes of FF13 embedded, no streaming of junk WMV file and the website above is crawling:

13. Phoenixblight

its blocked due to copyright.

@O’ Connor

If Lightning and party members were trying to escape the a security check point and end up jumping off the moving training then I would say rip off but this is not the case.

14. PlanetXbox360

@13 I just clicked on it, worked fine….

15. Phoenixblight

No it doesn’t

“This video contains content from Square Enix Co., Ltd., who has blocked it on copyright grounds. “

16. PlanetXbox360

Are you in a different country? I logged out of account and it still works, 1000+ views and no one has said that to me except you…..

17. Phoenixblight

In America not sure if that makes a difference.

BTW it works now. Not sure what that was about. Only has 310 views.

18. PlanetXbox360

Ya the views, and some weird block thing are still lagged behind; anyhow I was just trying to offer a non-WMV way of viewing the video (my bad)…..

19. Michael O’Connor

“@O’ Connor
    where is it ripping off FFVII? By Your standards FF8 would be ripping off FFVII because both FF8 and FF13 both had trains?”

FFXIII’s beginning scenes are almost a complete rip of FFVII’s beginning scenes. Lets take a quick look at this in more detail…

So, in the opening 30 minutes of FFXIII, this is what happens… You take control of a woman (who is a physical and emotional clone of Cloud), and a black guy (the first black lead character in the game since… you guessed it…) with a gun. These two characters are infiltrating an enemy facility, in an oppressed city that is perpetually bathed in an ominous green light. They arrive on… le gasp… a hijacked train!

The black guy asks the girl why she is fighting with their resistance group, whereby she points out in the most moody and defensive fashion possible that she *was* a soldier (heck, they even used the word soldier), but she isn’t any more. They then proceed to infiltrate the facility.

Oh look… it’s the other resistance people… and in case you couldn’t guess, there’s three peripheral members of the resistance group who aren’t part of the main cast!

Hmmm… now… where do I recall a story similar to this from? I can’t for the life of me remember…

Now, before I come across as ignorant (PERISH THE THOUGHT!) I already know that the game’s overall story isn’t as much of a blatant rip from past Final Fantasies, but jesus, come one… the similarities in the opening sequences goes way beyond homage and sits comfortably in complete rip-off territory.

I know the Final Fantasy games have always had functionally similar stories, but I’ve *never* seen a Final Fantasy game rip off a piece of its story so completely that even the *small* details are practically identical.