SOCOM: Fireteam Bravo 3 requires registration for online play

Thursday, 18th February 2010 15:14 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

socomconfrontation2

Sony has decided to fight back against used game sales by requiring customers who purchase SOCOM: Fireteam Bravo 3 to register through the internet before being able to play multiplayer online.

UMD copies will come with a redeemable code, and digital versions will authenticate automatically when you go online with your PSP.

If you purchase the game used, you will be required to fork over $20 if you want to register it and play online.

“Today’s consumers are more tech savvy and better connected to the internet than ever before,” SCEA’s John Koller told IGN. “Piracy continues to be an issue of concern for the PSP platform, but the launch of the PSPgo and the ability to access the PlayStation Store directly from PSP-3000 were significant steps towards fighting piracy and getting consumers to download digital games legally.

“Fireteam Bravo 3 is a trial run for a new initiative we are exploring for the platform. We will continue to explore this as an opportunity for the platform going forward, but we have no announcements to make on future iterations at this time.”

EA’s doing a similar thing with new releases with Project Ten Dollar, and Ubisoft requires PC players to be online to play its games. While both of these measures have been met with mixed feelings from the public, Koller thinks that gamers will react well to this new requirement from Sony.

“From our research, this will be received quite positively,” he said. “Remember, piracy affects more than just the creators of the game. It also affects the consumers who purchase titles expecting a high-quality gaming experience.

“Game development is a long and costly process that can take years to create and many more dollars to develop, manufacture, market and distribute.

“Our goal is to keep this development pipeline flowing with creative new IPs, well known franchises and pick up and play experiences that all can legally enjoy. That’s something that all fans can be happy about.”

SOCOM: US Navy SEALs Fireteam Bravo 3 is in stores now in the US and tomorrow in the UK.

1. reask

So does this mean If I buy it second hand I cant play on line?

2. theevilaires

good question Reask, but PSP online isn’t that much fun anyway. Unless you connect your psp up to your tv via component cable input thingy :)

3. reask

Oh I read it wrong I thought it was a PS3 game. :(

4. Detale

I think they’re saying that if you buy it second-hand you’ll have to pay an additional fee to play it online. Can’t remember where I read it though, will go and have a look…

5. Stephany Nunneley

No, it means that if you buy used reask, you will have to pay an extra 20 to do so. Unless the game will cost you $10 you might as well buy new for what the extra will run you. :(

EDIT: Wow. It must have taken me ages to type that – or you guys are just fast posters ;)

6. Detale

Here we go:

You have to cough up $20 to play it online if you get it second hand? Am I reading it right?

7. reask

Thanks for that.

8. Stephany Nunneley

Detale, darlin, that’s the same IGN link Edge used that’s in the article up there! :(

9. Tonka

So, can I play pirated versions if I pay $20?

10. Detale

Yep, I just spotted that Steph. I really should read things a bit more carefully before going off half-cocked :)

11. reask

This could be a slippery slope really.
    OK this is only one game but surely other developers will be watching closely.

12. Stephany Nunneley

We still value you as a person Detale :)

13. Detale

Awww, thanks Steph. I feel better now :)

14. AHA-Lambda

this is a better idea to comabt piracy than say ubi’s pc drm >_>

but $20 is FAR too much, make it like $10